Ping G20 Driver & Review Thread

I think that sort of information is great JB. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Any way that you could perhaps implement some sort of video next time out, so we can hear sound differences and get some real time thoughts?

Great info JB! Sounds like the G20 can more than hold its own with these other drivers. I was surprised to see the G20 offer the most forgiveness off the heel when it didn't off the toe. If it was the K15 I'd get that due to the weight placement but find it interesting with the G20

Great thoughts as always JB. It seems like the G20 is a solid driver, even more so if you get it fit with a shaft that works best for your swing. It may not top the pack, but it isn't trailing it either.

Great little test this morning! Some of the info backed up what I had been hearing about the R11 and makes me want to go OEM a razr hawk. The G20 sounds like it could be an excellent driver with the right shaft. Any plans to put a Miya in there at a later date to compare numbers again?

John Deere Tappin...

I think that sort of information is great JB. Thanks for taking the time to do this. Any way that you could perhaps implement some sort of video next time out, so we can hear sound differences and get some real time thoughts?
Normally I did not think it was possible without bringing the whole tripod and everything today, but this gentleman said he would be happy to help next time too, so video will be part of it.

Great thoughts as always JB. It seems like the G20 is a solid driver, even more so if you get it fit with a shaft that works best for your swing. It may not top the pack, but it isn't trailing it either.

Agreed. I came away pretty impressed with the club head and think Ping has a good one here.

Great little test this morning! Some of the info backed up what I had been hearing about the R11 and makes me want to go OEM a razr hawk. The G20 sounds like it could be an excellent driver with the right shaft. Any plans to put a Miya in there at a later date to compare numbers again?

John Deere Tappin...

Once the review is done, there is no question that is taking place.

Really like the looks of this driver. I was a fan of the G15 but like some others, not the K15. I'm a little worried if the G20 is more like the K than the G, but I'll have to give it a spin myself to see.

Thanks for the info, I think that's very useful data and like the way you did the test. Sounds like it's a forgiving driver, which is a big plus when I am shopping for one.

John Deere Tappin...

I'm surprised you haven't snagged a RH yet buddy.

Thanks for the data, JB.

Spent some time this morning on the range (practice hole par 5 at Grand Cypress) with G20 and a couple of other drivers. Had the R11, 910D2, Srixon Z-Star and Callaway RAZR Hawk. To be fair, all of these above had a Miyazaki Kusala Silver shaft in them and the Ping has its standard TFC shaft in it. However the results are quite intriguing.

Distance - 10 balls with each driver and kicked out the best and worst to get averages. All drivers were with in 4 yards of each other distance wise. Longest being RAZR Hawk and shortest being R11.

Spin - The Ping G20 (3760) was the highest spinning driver and the lowest was the 910D2 (2640).

Dispersion - Not a scientific test here, but marked each 10 balls with a different color dot for the driver. Z-Star had the best shot dispersion of closest to middle line. Followed very closely by G20 and Razr Hawk. 910D2 and R11 were behind these by a good 4-7 yards away from middle on average.

Forgiveness - This is where the G20 shined as it was definitely the most forgiving out of the bunch. Forgiveness was measured by distance loss + yards from middle. Here is a breakdown.

High on the club face - Surprisingly the R11 showed the most forgiveness high on the club face, followed by the Z-Star and Ping G20 then Titleist 910D2 and RAZR Hawk.

Miss on the Toe (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Razr Hawk was the most forgiving followed by Ping G20 and Z-Star. 910D2 and R11, absolutely punished this miss upwards of 30 yards in some cases.

Miss on Heel (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Ping G20 offered the most forgiveness here, followed very closely by Razr Hawk and Z-Star. Again, the 910D2 and R11 were pretty far behind in his area as far as distance goes.

I want to thank my new friend at Grand Cypress Jonathan that helped me with all of this and collected data from the fairway to write down. It seems like a small amount of data, but it takes some time gathering it.

None of this is scientific, but it was hard data and I hope it helps some people. There is a lot more information coming soon on this driver for testing.

excellent test this morning. Sounds like PING has a winner on their hands. How was the ball flight with the PING and the stock shaft compared to what you saw with the Razr Hawk and others?

I'm surprised you haven't snagged a RH yet buddy.

If I don't work this weekend a hawk will be making an appearance.

John Deere Tappin...

excellent test this morning. Sounds like PING has a winner on their hands. How was the ball flight with the PING and the stock shaft compared to what you saw with the Razr Hawk and others?

Higher, but distance was still quite good.

So, how would you compare to the G15, JB? It seems like it's maybe higher spinning and a bit more forgiving?

So, how would you compare to the G15, JB? It seems like it's maybe higher spinning and a bit more forgiving?

I found the G15 to be a hook machine, which is weird for me. Anything like that JB?

Maybe a tad, but to me its a very nice combination of the good qualities of the G15 mixed with the good qualities of the K15. I dont think it is for everybody, but I do think people that liked either of those drivers should give it a try.

Spent some time this morning on the range (practice hole par 5 at Grand Cypress) with G20 and a couple of other drivers. Had the R11, 910D2, Srixon Z-Star and Callaway RAZR Hawk. To be fair, all of these above had a Miyazaki Kusala Silver shaft in them and the Ping has its standard TFC shaft in it. However the results are quite intriguing.

Distance - 10 balls with each driver and kicked out the best and worst to get averages. All drivers were with in 4 yards of each other distance wise. Longest being RAZR Hawk and shortest being R11.

Spin - The Ping G20 (3760) was the highest spinning driver and the lowest was the 910D2 (2640).

Dispersion - Not a scientific test here, but marked each 10 balls with a different color dot for the driver. Z-Star had the best shot dispersion of closest to middle line. Followed very closely by G20 and Razr Hawk. 910D2 and R11 were behind these by a good 4-7 yards away from middle on average.

Forgiveness - This is where the G20 shined as it was definitely the most forgiving out of the bunch. Forgiveness was measured by distance loss + yards from middle. Here is a breakdown.

High on the club face - Surprisingly the R11 showed the most forgiveness high on the club face, followed by the Z-Star and Ping G20 then Titleist 910D2 and RAZR Hawk.

Miss on the Toe (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Razr Hawk was the most forgiving followed by Ping G20 and Z-Star. 910D2 and R11, absolutely punished this miss upwards of 30 yards in some cases.

Miss on Heel (approximately 1 inch away from center) - Ping G20 offered the most forgiveness here, followed very closely by Razr Hawk and Z-Star. Again, the 910D2 and R11 were pretty far behind in his area as far as distance goes.

I want to thank my new friend at Grand Cypress Jonathan that helped me with all of this and collected data from the fairway to write down. It seems like a small amount of data, but it takes some time gathering it.

None of this is scientific, but it was hard data and I hope it helps some people. There is a lot more information coming soon on this driver for testing.

Wow that is a nice little write up JB. Do you think with the R11 being such a deep faced driver this had something to do with misses on the face being so forgiving? And same thing for the Razr Hawk and toe misses with it being a shallow faced driver?

I found the G15 to be a hook machine, which is weird for me. Anything like that JB?

Nope, not at all.

Wow that is a nice little write up JB. Do you think with the R11 being such a deep faced driver this had something to do with misses on the face being so forgiving? And same thing for the Razr Hawk and toe misses with it being a shallow faced driver?

No question about it.

Great write up boss, thanks for for all the info. If possible I'd love to hear how the G20 sounds at impact, I know it's not a real easy thing to do so don't sweat it. What a great test though, lining this driver up against a hell of a list of solid 2011 drivers. Keep the info coming!

Great write up boss, thanks for for all the info. If possible I'd love to hear how the G20 sounds at impact, I know it's not a real easy thing to do so don't sweat it. What a great test though, lining this driver up against a hell of a list of solid 2011 drivers. Keep the info coming!

I want to get this anyway. I am going to next week when we return from Tampa. We will bring a boom mic and compare it to some others with just impact sound.

Very interesting, I was surprised to see that it performed so well with its stock shaft, more so after your initial feelings the other day. Thanks a lot of getting us all the extra info.

Loved the data JB. How forgiving this is really has my interest. I miss on the top of the face more and the heel so it sounds like this could be more forgiving for my swing than the driver I have now. Curiosu to hear how it goes with the new shaft.

I'm looking forward to your thoughts after putting in a shaft fit for your game, especially with the forgiveness offered in the club head. Do you think you'll find much difference?

Nice collection of data there, JB. Curious to see how this thing would work for my swing since I'm looking at drivers right now.

Not a big fan of Ping but would have to see how it plays before I judge to much, it does kinda look like a "hybrid" between the G15 and K15

Back