Video Camera for Recording Swing

Yeah, I thought you had rigged some kind of iPhone tripod up....lol

I have a tripod for my samsung, I am going to start brining it with me. My wife only comes when we are out doing something and I make a stop at the range on the way home.

does the flip come with a rechargeable battery? I'm reading about it using 2 AA batteries and having to buy a rechargeable one

does the flip come with a rechargeable battery? I'm reading about it using 2 AA batteries and having to buy a rechargeable one

The one I bought has a rechargeable battery. You just flip the USB plug out and recharge it in your computer. It also lets you use 2AA batteries.

The one I bought has a rechargeable battery. You just flip the USB plug out and recharge it in your computer. It also lets you use 2AA batteries.

Thanks. I'm debating which one to get, either the Flip or the Kodak playsport Zx3. I dont need the underwater feature but it does 1080p which is lil better then the 720p the Flip does. Both seem to be uploaded on youtube very easily and both around the same price only difference i see is i have to buy an SD card for the kodak as well. Does the flip have a remote you can get to use with it?

Thanks. I'm debating which one to get, either the Flip or the Kodak playsport Zx3. I dont need the underwater feature but it does 1080p which is lil better then the 720p the Flip does. Both seem to be uploaded on youtube very easily and both around the same price only difference i see is i have to buy an SD card for the kodak as well. Does the flip have a remote you can get to use with it?

I don't know much about the accessories for the Flip. It is just so easy to use. I set it up on the tripod, push the red button and it starts recording. You just push the button again to stop recording. When you plug it into your computer, the Flip software installs automatically and you can trim your videos to take parts of it out. It's super easy to download into Youtube too. Another feature is that you can snap photos throughout your video.

I don't know much about the accessories for the Flip. It is just so easy to use. I set it up on the tripod, push the red button and it starts recording. You just push the button again to stop recording. When you plug it into your computer, the Flip software installs automatically and you can trim your videos to take parts of it out. It's super easy to download into Youtube too. Another feature is that you can snap photos throughout your video.

easy enough. Whats the difference between the UltraHD and MinoHD?

I use my flip or the swing app on my iPhone 4. It takes a pretty good video but nothing like the flip but easier to do the lines.

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Considering a Flip ultraHD with 4GB memory. They are $48 at Best Buy. I think this may be a good buy as Cisco is axing Flip and the 8GB versions have a proprietary battery. Good luck getting it replaced. 4GB uses AAs. Correct me if I am wrong here. My phone takes decent video, but for $48 it may be worth it to grab one.

Considering a Flip ultraHD with 4GB memory. They are $48 at Best Buy. I think this may be a good buy as Cisco is axing Flip and the 8GB versions have a proprietary battery. Good luck getting it replaced. 4GB uses AAs. Correct me if I am wrong here. My phone takes decent video, but for $48 it may be worth it to grab one.

I bought one the other day and the video is 10x better than my iPhone...the 8gb will use AA batteries too, the battery pack looks like 2 AA taped together. I bought the 4GB model then grabbed the rechargeable battery pack for $5! like I said you can use either the rechargeable ones or regular AA, so I keep a few of those in the golf bag in case the battery goes dead. I grabbed a mini flexible tripod too....you can wrap in around the roof poles on a golf cart or a tree limb or even the pin on a green...it's pretty cool. For under 50 bucks you can't go wrong.

I bought one the other day and the video is 10x better than my iPhone...the 8gb will use AA batteries too, the battery pack looks like 2 AA taped together. I bought the 4GB model then grabbed the rechargeable battery pack for $5! like I said you can use either the rechargeable ones or regular AA, so I keep a few of those in the golf bag in case the battery goes dead. I grabbed a mini flexible tripod too....you can wrap in around the roof poles on a golf cart or a tree limb or even the pin on a green...it's pretty cool. For under 50 bucks you can't go wrong.

I think the 8GB uses 3 AAAs and not too efficiently based on what I have read. This is the latest version or 3rd version. Not sure on older ones. This is what I am using for reference.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/products/specs.aspx

For $48 it really seems like a worthwhile investment for testing equipment, looking at my golf swing, and general purpose recording.

Batteries Plus or Interstate Battery can make just about any battery pack for cheap.

I think the 8GB uses 3 AAAs and not too efficiently based on what I have read. This is the latest version or 3rd version. Not sure on older ones. This is what I am using for reference.

http://www.theflip.com/en-us/products/specs.aspx

For $48 it really seems like a worthwhile investment for testing equipment, looking at my golf swing, and general purpose recording.

Oh I agree, that's why I grabbed one...plus an hour of video seems plenty to me.

+1 for the Flip's. They are great little camera's and with exception of the base 4Gb model the more recent models can record at 60fps which is helpful for swing analysis.

Last edited:
Batteries Plus or Interstate Battery can make just about any battery pack for cheap.

Battery Plus just lists lithium AAAs and I can't find anything but car batteries at Interstate Battery, checking again.

edit: nevermind, entered Interstate's site. Nothing for the Flip as of yet.

I picked up a Samsung SH100 camera yesterday at Best Buy. It's a point and shoot, digital camera, but offers "HD" video recording as well. One of the things that sold me was that it has wifi built in, so I can transfer everything to my computer over wifi, as well as post videos straight to YouTube.

Battery Plus just lists lithium AAAs and I can't find anything but car batteries at Interstate Battery, checking again.

edit: nevermind, entered Interstate's site. Nothing for the Flip as of yet.

They can rebuild anything if you bring it in there trust me. They've rebuilt anything from Scan Tool Batteries to electrical impact gun packs for me.

They can rebuild anything if you bring it in there trust me. They've rebuilt anything from Scan Tool Batteries to electrical impact gun packs for me.

Awesome JRod. How about devices that require soldering and hard wiring? I have an old Palm PDA that is useless as it has a proprietary battery that is basically a permanent part of the device.

The best camera I have seen for analyzing a swing in slow motion is the Casio Exilim EX ZR100. 240 fps.

Went ahead and got the Flip 4GB version. For $48 it's a really good deal. Will keep my eyes open for an 8GB on the cheap as well. I am a little leery of the 8GB as once the battery stops holding a charge the device is basically dead (Flips are discontinued). On JRod's suggestions I contacted some battery places and they weren't much help with replacement batteries for the 8GB. Only way to charge it is in your computer or carry around an optional wall charger. 4GB uses any AA which is great for my uses.

Was playing with it tonight and holy cow is it easy to make movies. Stellar vid quality for the price. For what I want (basic swing videos, reviews here at THP, quick shots of the kids, trips, etc.) it fits the bill. Check one out!

edit: Hmm, found the 8GB battery at B&H for $9, external charger $6, action tripod $6, 2 year ext warranty $11. Think my wife just got a new 4GB Flip!

Last edited:
Went ahead and got the Flip 4GB version. For $48 it's a really good deal. Will keep my eyes open for an 8GB on the cheap as well. I am a little leery of the 8GB as once the battery stops holding a charge the device is basically dead (Flips are discontinued). On JRod's suggestions I contacted some battery places and they weren't much help with replacement batteries for the 8GB. Only way to charge it is in your computer or carry around an optional wall charger. 4GB uses any AA which is great for my uses.

Was playing with it tonight and holy cow is it easy to make movies. Stellar vid quality for the price. For what I want (basic swing videos, reviews here at THP, quick shots of the kids, trips, etc.) it fits the bill. Check one out!

edit: Hmm, found the 8GB battery at B&H for $9, external charger $6, action tripod $6, 2 year ext warranty $11. Think my wife just got a new 4GB Flip!

Good stuff Griff. Sorry to resurrect a thread but I really need to nab a camera for THP stuff. This one seems most affordable and easy...

Anyone else have any other recommendations to look at?

Good stuff Griff. Sorry to resurrect a thread but I really need to nab a camera for THP stuff. This one seems most affordable and easy...

Anyone else have any other recommendations to look at?

I bought a Flip HD a few weeks back and absolutely love it. Best Buy had the 4GB for $49, but the 8GB was on sale for $79 so I went with that one. It's great and very, very easy to use. Nothing hard about using it, press a button to record, press the same button to stop. I also bought a tripod with bendable legs that can attach on to anything (like a golf cart windshield) that makes getting videos on the course very easy.

Couldn't agree with you more Griff. I got the 4GB flip 4 days ago and I could not be happier. The video quality is great, its so portable and easy to stand up so I can take video anywhere. I wanted to play with one first before I bought another but my wife really wants one now too because she can just carry it around in her purse and then film our young son when he does something cute.

I don't think I need an 8GB as I'm never doing anything where I would need to take that much video before I am back at my CPU, but if I find a great deal I would think about it. I do like the fact that the 4GB just uses the double A batteries that I can just swap in and go, and with a young son, I long ago bought a bunch of rechargeable AA batteries and a charger for all his toys, so I'm good to go.

If anyone needs a camera to record their swing, the flip is going to be all they need. Just make sure the one you are buying is the 3rd Gen and you are good to go.

i never updated this thread but I did purchase an 8GB Flip HD camera a while back from best buy. I enjoy it very much and haven't used it as much as i thought i would but once new clubs come I will for sure.

I bought a Flip HD a few weeks back and absolutely love it. Best Buy had the 4GB for $49, but the 8GB was on sale for $79 so I went with that one. It's great and very, very easy to use. Nothing hard about using it, press a button to record, press the same button to stop. I also bought a tripod with bendable legs that can attach on to anything (like a golf cart windshield) that makes getting videos on the course very easy.

I also use the flip. It's a great camera that's very small but also have great quality picture. War, did you also buy the tripod at BB as well? I don't have one yet and have been finding different creative ways to set mine up to record and watch my swing.

I use the Flip as well. 4GB, last year's version.

Back