Taylormade Burner 2.0 Irons & THP Testing

Thank you for that last post TC, I had a little afternoon romance with a 2.0 6 iron today and while I love my mizzys I really want a small set of 2.0s 6-pw. Good to hear the stock shaft performs well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Any time buddy. I swear that there's just something right about the 2.0's and whatever the shafts are in them. I think you'd be making a good decision picking up a small set to be honest. They're just different than the 800's, and you know how much I like those too.

Any time buddy. I swear that there's just something right about the 2.0's and whatever the shafts are in them. I think you'd be making a good decision picking up a small set to be honest. They're just different than the 800's, and you know how much I like those too.

No joke, I hit a set with the stock stiff and loved them. Hit this set with the DG's and love them. Contemplating going back to my KBS Tour's in these now and I'm sure I'd still love them. I love these dang irons.

Thank you for that last post TC, I had a little afternoon romance with a 2.0 6 iron today and while I love my mizzys I really want a small set of 2.0s 6-pw. Good to hear the stock shaft performs well.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Golf Balls in Flight... Afternoon delight!!! Well, I hit the 2.0s again last night and they are long obv. I can't believe how far my 7 iron was hitting. I'm going to a TMag demo day to compare the 2.0s and their arch rival in my purchasing battle, the TP CB's.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

pondering these now Yoccos?
To my surprise I had a package waiting for me when I got home... Thank you Taylormade! A Burner 2.0 6 iron. That was pleasant. Took it to the range before I went to the hospital (not for me) and it was interesting. I loved the lightweight. I hit everything around the center but was low slicing everything. Once I figured it out I really liked the iron and ballflight for the most part. It went further than I thought it would be going and the sound was pretty good (more a crack). The club at address is different than I thought it would be. Very sleek.

Golf Balls in Flight... Afternoon delight!!! Well, I hit the 2.0s again last night and they are long obv. I can't believe how far my 7 iron was hitting. I'm going to a TMag demo day to compare the 2.0s and their arch rival in my purchasing battle, the TP CB's.

Let us know how it goes. The CB's are the final comparision for me too but they haven't hit the area yet.

After all these posts and positive reviews I have to say that these are high on my list. Hard to argue with performance.

The only issue I think is the amount of offset. I play a draw/hook now and don't want to add to that. Still they are on the radar for sure.

Tappin to the oldies

After all these posts and positive reviews I have to say that these are high on my list. Hard to argue with performance.

The only issue I think is the amount of offset. I play a draw/hook now and don't want to add to that. Still they are on the radar for sure.

Tappin to the oldies

With your length though, you could probably have a set of these that are 6-PW, and you could fill in the top of your bag w/fwy woods or hybrids. I say that b/c of the progressive offset throughout the set. From about the 6 iron down, the offset gets significantly smaller, so much that by the time you are at your 9iron or PW, there's hardly any.

Just something to consider. You can spend some time with some at PGA National.

With your length though, you could probably have a set of these that are 6-PW, and you could fill in the top of your bag w/fwy woods or hybrids. I say that b/c of the progressive offset throughout the set. From about the 6 iron down, the offset gets significantly smaller, so much that by the time you are at your 9iron or PW, there's hardly any.

Just something to consider. You can spend some time with some at PGA National.

I did now even realize they have a progressively waining offset, good to know. The irons I'm hitting now have a huge Offset and it would be nice to get rid of some of that. My buddy has a set of these and I hit some again at the range last night. I hit a few balls off the toe and the ball still flew off the club face with speed and forgiveness ,putting these back on the top of my irons-2-have list.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

I did now even realize they have a progressively waining offset. Good to know, the irons I'm hitting now have a huge Offset and it would be nice to get rid of some of the. My buddy has a set of these and I hit some again at the range last night. I hit a few balls off the toe and the ball still flew off the club face with speed and forgiveness ,putting these back on the top of my irons-2-have list.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

In a couple of hours I'll take some pics of the 6,7,8,9,PW @ address to show the offset throughout the set. Most folks are demo'ing or receiving a 6iron in the mail, and while there is some offset in that iron, the scoring irons aren't like that at all.

The offset in the 2.0's really should be the least of someones worries.

The offset in the 2.0's really should be the least of someones worries.

Really? Why would you say that?

Last thing I want to do is hit a bigger hook than I already do. ;)

Oh and thanks TC I am interested in those pics. :)

Tappin to the oldies

Really? Why would you say that?

Last thing I want to do is hit a bigger hook than I already do. ;)

Oh and thanks TC I am interested in those pics. :)

Tappin to the oldies

Offset is more about getting the ball in the air, at least in my understanding and not about hooks or hitting less slice. And the 2.0's are a good neutral ground of not too much but still some offset.

Ok, like OEM Kevin says, the big misconception about offset is that it does very little to help assist "drawing" or "hooking'' the ball. Offset has been used in irons for one reason: to move the weight further back and lower in the iron to help get the ball up in the air.

Anyway, I took some pictures of my 7iron-PW to show how little offset there really is in the scoring irons and that you can see how the offset gets progressively smaller as you move to the lower end of your bag.

PW

DSC_0228.jpg

9 Iron

DSC_0227.jpg

8 Iron

DSC_0226.jpg

7 Iron

DSC_0225.jpg

Offset is more about getting the ball in the air, at least in my understanding and not about hooks or hitting less slice. And the 2.0's are a good neutral ground of not too much but still some offset.

Ok, like OEM Kevin says, the big misconception about offset is that it does very little to help assist "drawing" or "hooking'' the ball. Offset has been used in irons for one reason: to move the weight further back and lower in the iron to help get the ball up in the air.

Anyway, I took some pictures of my 7iron-PW to show how little offset there really is in the scoring irons and that you can see how the offset gets progressively smaller as you move to the lower end of your bag.

Hmmm.... You know I love the irons and want to get them and you know I respect both of your knowledge and opinions, but my understanding of offset is that it was specifically developed to help close the club that little bit quicker by moving the hands that little bit further forward. I'm pretty sure about this fact. Not saying it doesn't help with trajectory also.

Here's a piece on the subject... http://golf.about.com/od/faqs/f/offset_slice.htm

Question: Will Offset Golf Clubs Help My Slice?

Answer: Yes, but more in a wood than in an iron.
Offset is the distance that the forward side of the neck/hosel of the clubhead is set in front of the bottom of the face of the clubhead. With offset, the clubface arrives at impact a split second later than with a clubhead that has no offset or in which the face is in front of the neck/hosel of the clubhead, which is the case with woodheads.

This additional time before the face meets the ball allows the golfer to continue rotating his hands around, thus allowing the clubface a little more time to rotate around into a more square or less open position at impact.

There are two reasons that offset is more effective in woods than in irons for helping a slice. One, woods have less loft than irons, which means the slice from an open face at impact is greater. Two, the difference between a typical woodhead - in which the face is in front of the neck/hosel - compared to an offset wood is greater than the difference between a non-offset iron and an offset iron.

This greater difference between conventional and offset woods allows for more time for the golfer to rotate the face around to be less open at impact than is possible between a non-offset and an offset iron.

Hmmm.... You know I love the irons and want to get them and you know I respect both of your knowledge and opinions, but my understanding of offset is that it was specifically developed to help close the club that little bit quicker by moving the hands that little bit further forward. I'm pretty sure about this fact. Not saying it doesn't help with trajectory also.

This is a by product of offset in irons and not really the reason it is used. The small amount of offset in most irons because of their loft has very little effect on a hook or draw. Perhaps in robot testing it would seem slightly different, but with human swings, it really is not the case. As lofts go lower, it can be more of an assistance, just as onset can be, but not with the higher lofts of most irons. This is the reason that draw drivers are offset. However in recent years even offset drivers have gone to more about weighting in the proper place rather than additional offset, because it works far better.

]

TC..Thanks for the pictures. I love how the offset slowly dissapates throughout the set. Like I said, the offest on my older set is massive and if you are not used to hitting a club like the 2.0 it would seem like a big change. I got a chance to hit my buddies 2.0's set at the range the other day and the offset (or "lack of off-set" in my case) didn't affect me at address. These clubs get the ball in the air in a hurry and for that I love them.

I may have a chance to hit these this afternoon. I'm so excited! :D

Just found a demo day in my area tomorrow with all the major brand reps present. Gonna go hit these again to hopefully get the definitive answer on stiff or regular for me and any lie adjustment I might need (these come standard a 1/2 degree more upright than my x22s but I may need more). I hope I'm swinging good tomorrow!

Probably hit some drivers and fairway woods too, cause you know, why not! :D

Just found a demo day in my area tomorrow with all the major brand reps present. Gonna go hit these again to hopefully get the definitive answer on stiff or regular for me and any lie adjustment I might need (these come standard a 1/2 degree more upright than my x22s but I may need more). I hope I'm swinging good tomorrow!

Probably hit some drivers and fairway woods too, cause you know, why not!
:D

Off Topic: Try everything, even if you are not in the market. You will be very suprised at what TMag has to offer you. I've just been blown away by their recent products and performance. Cheers!

So Fedex pulls up in front of the house just now and I think, "I didn't order anything", and then he gets out of the truck with that long skinny box we all love to see and...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Apparently I would have gotten mine when everyone else did, but the address was misentered and it went back to them and got re-sent. You gotta hand it to this company, not only are they sending out a free iron but they throw in a couple Tour Burner golf balls for good measure.

These guys just made my Friday night!!

Just got my 6 iron from Taylormade as well, got the Graphite shaft in regular, the Burner golf balls was a nice bonus as well.

I got a chance to hit these at a demo day earlier and enjoyed hitting them very much. It is no doubt that Taylormade wanted to produce a long hitting iron here. I added 15 yards to the clubs I was able test in a few different shafts. Very nice irons if you are a cavity back fan!

Does anyone have experience getting fitted with the Matt system? I live near Olympia Fields and was interested if it was worth the $400 with these irons, maybe a driver and wedges too.

Back