Wolf Creek, Mesquite, NV

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Here's a link to a load of pics: http://s804.photobucket.com/albums/yy323/Dazinkster/Wolf Creek Golf - Sept 2010/

Pic upon entry
61855_429865127980_507157980_5016632_5090907_n.jpg

We played Wolf Creek back in September this year, unfortunately it was just after their overseeding and the white (Masters) tees were the furthest back we could play off. This meant the course only played 5,798 yards which was VERY short. I should really have been playing off the blue (Champions) tees, the tips would have been too tough for me with some very long forced carries.

Anyway, onto my thoughts. The scenery is truly spectacular, you really have to see this place to believe it. The computer games don't do it justice. Someone has literally just cut a course out the rocks (see below). The views are breathtaking.

Looking back down the 2nd from the 3rd tee
62895_707432170335_223404437_13447564_3260164_n.jpg

View from the 14th tee
59961_707433088495_223404437_13447621_2432125_n.jpg

The course/holes themsleves are also amazing. Whilst most of the holes follow a pattern of elevated tee shot/uphill aproach there is plenty of variation. You have to think your way around as well as hitting the ball long over the forced carries. Where as all the Bali Hai holes sort of merged into one, I can still remember almost all the Wolf Creek holes individually. There are so many great holes to choose from but my favourites were probably the 14th (see pic above), the 7th a short Par 4 with a challenging approach (see below) and the 17th a medium length Par 5 where a good drive leaves you with a choice for the 2nd shot...a 200 yard carry to the green or a wedge to the next section of fairway to leave you another wedge in to the green (see below).

Approach to the 7th, don't want to be short!
62826_707432699275_223404437_13447591_406810_n.jpg

Par 5 17th, view from the tee. The green is off to the left in the distance
60544_707433432805_223404437_13447642_5049283_n.jpg

Overall, I LOVE this course! I really want to go back and play it without the overseeding and with my own clubs. If you're ever in the area I urge you to check it out!

I've heard great things about Wolf Creek. Thanks for sharing, zink!

I went to Vegas in June with a big group of guys, we were going to play Wolf Creek but ultimately didn't because of the travel headache of getting 8 guys there and back. We played Bali Hai instead, which is nice, but no Wolf Creek. I really wish we would have done it, especially after seeing these pics, thanks for sharing!

Gorgeous pics! Now I gotta head out there and play it. Looks like a memorable course to play.

I love this course. There are so many different holes where you are standing on the tee box thinking this is so beautiful. Thanks for posting the pictures. I am heading to St. George, UT after Thanksgiving and planning on playing Wolf Creek and Sand Hollow at least.

Thanks guys, glad you appreciate the post :)

Thanks guys, glad you appreciate the post :)

Dazinkster recognize the course from your profile pic. Can't wait to play there in a few weeks. I'll update the post with any additional thoughs I have.

Wolf is a great course. I play there in the spring every year. All I can say is wow!

Wolf and TPC Vegas are the last two on my list here in Vegas. I"m jealous. Was supposed to play there two months ago with my friends but I got sick on the day and my friends went on with out me.

Amazing photos, the course looks surreal. I'm sure it was a wonderful experience.

Daz, that is one beautiful golf course...thanks for the pictures!

There was an article in today's LA Times about golf deals in St. George, Utah, and the article mentioned Mesquite, Nevada, as being an additional nearby alternative.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/topofthetimes/features/la-tr-stgeorge-20101114,0,5976504.story

St. George is about 6 hours from L.A. (assuming you can get out of L.A. traffic).

I've mentioned the amazing golf at St. George a couple of times. I am totally a groupie ever since my parents moved from LA to St. George about 5 years ago. I have never found a place that is so populated with really great courses that are so affordable to play. I have already sung the praises of Wolf Creek (I consider Mesquite courses as part of the St. George conversation cause it is only half an hour away). I have also mentioned how great Sand Hollow is as well. To plug a few other SG courses, the Ledges is such an amazing course that is set on the cliffs of a gorgeous canyon. Entrada is a private course that is carved right out of black volcano rock (absolutely stunning set up with the black contrasting the green). Coral Canyon is another course that is always in fantastic shape and has some really well designed holes. Man just thinking about these courses is getting so excited to go see my family after thanksgiving. My dad is an avid golfer so I am able to justify all the golf as family bonding.

The course is truly amazing, but it was so slow the day we played there last year. We actually finished on 17 after well over 5 hours. I must say that I loved the challenge.

The best news of the slow round is we got to meet and talk with Frank Robinson. A true sports legend.

I just want to throw out that I'm insanely jealous of all of you who have gotten to play here. Of all the courses I'd like to try someday this is #2 on my list.

Those views are just flat out amazing. I could even get my wife to play on this course and she's doesn't really enjoy the game much at all. I'd say that's a pretty good endorsement!

Awesome pics!!! I llive in Vegas & I try to go there at least once a year. There is truly nothing like it! My profile pic is a picture I took there.

Oh ya I will also be playing there in 2 weeks.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That course looks even better in real life than it does in Tiger Woods 11! :D

Looks awesome. Can't wait to play there, eventually.

Played here a couple of weeks ago. A very nice experience and a course that every golfer should have at least once. Since it is so hot and the 'off-season' we got on for $65. A bargain compared to the peak rates. The course conditions were very nice overall. The staff was great to us, treated us like royalty. We teed off at 7:00am and there were high temps of ~105*. Because of this it was apparent that the greens had been soaked with water overnight and as a result were VERY soft and VERY slow. This was hard to comprehend because you expected them to be concrete fast with as hot as it was. My game was a bit off so because of this I didn't enjoy it as much as I would if I was playing well. I will definitely be back to play here again as well as some of the other surrounding courses.

A pic from my trip.

wolfcrk.jpg

Awesome pics

I just returned from a St. George/Mesquite trip and have to say Wolf Creek is something to see. Be nice if they had a real driving range but thats nitpicking. Sand Hollow was in pretty rough shape given the $100 green fee. Really enjoyed Falcon Ridge and the 27 holes at Sunbrook. Zion park is to close by not to visit. All in all pretty good trip but the golf in Mesqiute was in better shape. St. Geo is 3000 feet Mesquite 1600 feet, we were there 1st week of March.

Back