Callaway Razr X Irons - All Lines

They get progressively better looking as the set goes up, forged looking rather sweet. Like many others I'm not impressed with the name of these clubs though. Looking forward to the reviews, especially that of the Razr X, which I am assuming is in the SGI category.

They get progressively better looking as the set goes up, forged looking rather sweet. Like many others I'm not impressed with the name of these clubs though. Looking forward to the reviews, especially that of the Razr X, which I am assuming is in the SGI category.

GI
GI/GE - More of a players cavity
Near Blades

The backs of those look like shark gills, or the side ports of the old corvettes , I hate to say it, the X series look better imo.
Not saying they are ugly , truly a different looking back side . Looks like its getting hard to design / develop a NEW iron with all the weight distribution needed for a good feeling club .

So then no SGI iron from Callaway next year?

I think the SGI category is a little cloudy still. With more companies going to players cavitys, it has become a GI & GE standard. With some using the SGI for hybrid/irons.

The first two look awful thick in the sole at least in the camera views. That forged set is incredible looking. Heck, I'd try any of them, but if I had to choose on looks alone, it'd be the forged.

seriously, what's up with callaway and the names lately though: diablo, razr, i don't dig on it.

i'm assuming the razr x replaces the x22/x24, the razr x tour replaces the x22 tour and the razr x forged replaces the DF and the X forged. i actually quite like the look of all three, b/c honestly, anything is better than the color orange. can't wait to see them in person, that's for sure!

Last edited:
Yeah, the name has got to go.

Don't like these line up.. maybe they'll look better in person... not a big fan of futuristic golf equipments... some things are better left alone... Golf clubs ( club head design to be precise) are one of them....

I think I like the look of the tours and the forged but, of course, would like to see them in person before I make my final judgment. It is definitely a bit different than what has come out the last couple years. Seems like the needle is moving with the looks of irons these days. Cool that they come with the s300 and project x. I am definitely interested in hearing how these perform.

damn, I just bought TM burner 2.0... even though Callaway is not my favourite, forged looks really nice....
This is just too much... shoot, shoot, shoot...

Well from a looks standpoint the Miura irons are absolute things of beauty to me and I play a mixed set of Mizuno MP-58s’ and 68s’. So, you can well imagine what I think of these. The forged irons look nice and I would love to hit those since I love trying out new irons regardless of where they come from. Actually I would love to hit all of them and any of them just because irons are my thing.

As for advancements in irons over time: I might have an advantage that others don’t have here. I went away from the game for 16 years and came back. The last set of irons I purchased before going dormant was a set of what would be called GI irons today.
At least as it relates to the category of players irons whether players cavity backs or even blades for that matter, I am amazed at the amount of forgiveness and distance with feel that reside in those two categories almost across the board. Now I can’t tell you if this generation of pure GI clubs now offer more feel than they used to. My impression is that this generation of GI clubs simply offer more of what we are used to seeing from GI clubs. As stated above there is no question in my mind that this generation of players cavity and even blades offer more forgiveness and distance than I have ever seen nor would ever have expected.

As for the razr name, it is pretty clear that a few club sets ago Callaway hired somebody new in Marketing or somebody got a promotion. I would find him and dethrone him immediately. All of their most recent club designations have been garbage as far as I am concerned. If the site would not immediately turned my description into a string of *********, I would use a stronger term than garbage. Do they think they are selling razor blades?

As some mentioned in the thread, the first thing I thought of was the crappy, easy to break, Motorola Razr phone that looked good and was dead in your hands in a few months.

I really like Callaway, they make great clubs and really if these things are incredible to hit, I agree with many others that I wouldn't mind. But looking at the pics, the way they designed it somehow reminds me of a billboard or something.....it's like they could remove the Razr-X logo and add an American Express logo and not miss a beat. It sorta annoys me somehow hahaha.

to me, its just a name, I only care about how the clubs perform. Looks do matter but again...performance. I am very interested to see how these clubs play.

Besides, who calls their clubs by their OEM names anyway? 'Man I forgot my Razrs today!' 'My Razrs are letting me down today!'
to me, its just a name, I only care about how the clubs perform. Looks do matter but again...performance. I am very interested to see how these clubs play.

I understand but to your point, we should all be driving Model T's instead of the car designs of today. Times and technology change and there will always be something for someone out there.
Don't like these line up.. maybe they'll look better in person... not a big fan of futuristic golf equipments... some things are better left alone... Golf clubs ( club head design to be precise) are one of them....

Besides, who calls their clubs by their OEM names anyway? 'Man I forgot my Razrs today!' 'My Razrs are letting me down today!'

very true! My clubs NEVER let me down....its total user failure. Oh well, to each their own and I respect that. I just wanna give these guys a fair chance, I knew the name of them before they came out and I have been stoked to see them and hear how they perform.

I am wondering if I am misunderstanding your post. Are you saying that a company should not produce anything with a new design? Without innovation, we would all be playing hickory shafted clubs that look like miniature hockey sticks. Having a weird design is one thing, but I believe it is paramount to a sin to stifle innovation. But, I am probably not getting the true gist of your post.

I was not a HUGE fan of the X tour, I just went back and looked at it and I actually quite like the look of that. Its starting to grow on me.

I agree with this one. I actually prefer names. Does anybody say let me go back and get my 909176234 D2? Of course not. Another question, for those that think of phones, did you think of printer labels with the Dymo? Or a larger lady with the Big Bertha? Or how about a Japanese wrestler in the Sumo?

I guess to me, I have never thought much about it. But I always prefer names to just numbers.

I agree with that, not a big number person for clubs, Way too easy to forget and too easy to mix up. Hell, look at the more popular clubs thrugh the years, named...not numbered.

well, i refer to my irons as "2.0's" all the time, same as my "cci's" or my "mx25's"....again, it all boils down to the user. what about the cg16's or the hb3's, i've heard them referred to as so all the time, same as i refer to my "22's". unfortunately, whoever owns these will be calling them their "razr's" and i think the name is stupid. to say that people don't refer to their sticks as what they are called is just not true. or perhaps it's just me, but think about it, if you're having a discussion with someone about golf and they ask you what kind of clubs you play are you just gonna answer, "callaway" or "taylormade"? prolly not, i dare say you'd answer "i play the callaway x24's" or "i play the taylormade burner 2.0's". just my opinion anyway, and the names diablo and razr suck!

well, i refer to my irons as "2.0's" all the time, same as my "cci's" or my "mx25's"....again, it all boils down to the user. what about the cg16's or the hb3's, i've heard them referred to as so all the time, same as i refer to my "22's". unfortunately, whoever owns these will be calling them their "razr's" and i think the name is stupid. to say that people don't refer to their sticks as what they are called is just not true. or perhaps it's just me, but think about it, if you're having a discussion with someone about golf and they ask you what kind of clubs you play are you just gonna answer, "callaway" or "taylormade"? prolly not, i dare say you'd answer "i play the callaway x24's" or "i play the taylormade burner 2.0's". just my opinion anyway, and the names diablo and razr suck!

hahahaha, how do you really feel?

Back