Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured as much but my contest would be this. You are up 5-2 with guys on 1st and 3rd...the Yankees are juiced and you can feel the momentum swinging bad. Woudln't it be smart to put the closer in to stop the bleeding and get through the inning with no more or minimal damage, than start over fresh the next inning with say your normal setup guy or someone else?

I really don't know thats why I ask these questions. I know the year the BoSox won the WS they did this alot with Papelbon bringing him in in the 7th or 8th then letting someone else finish the game? Maybe I am mistaken.

Papelbon never came in, in the 7th. He had 3 saves that series and the other game was a blowout. He had 2 4 out saves but there was no one on base when he came in one of them and there was 2 outs with runners on first and second in the other. You cant bring your closer in like that with runners on first and third with no one out. You have to let him either come in with no one on base or let him come in if there is already 2 outs. He is a rookie closer you just cant put him in that spot facing the middle of the yankees line up with runners on base and no one out.

Last edited:
Alright, well here we go again. Texas up 5-0 in the top 4th. Hold onto the lead now!!

Edit: 5-1 now, berkman smoked one down the line, off 1st baseman's glove rolled away, cano scores berkman thinks about going to 2nd then cant get back in time at first, and is out. Bottom of 4th now.

Cruz just missed a homerun by 6inches to a foot to dead center. Hit just off the very very top of the wall. Settles for a double. Kinsler down 0-2 in the count ropes one to right for a triple.

6-1 Rangers bottom of the 5th no outs kinsler on third!!

Monster shot by Cano... maybe it will get the rally going

Papelbon never came in, in the 7th. He had 3 saves that series and the other game was a blowout. He had 2 4 out saves but there was no one on base when he came in one of them and there was 2 outs with runners on first and second in the other. You cant bring your closer in like that with runners on first and third with no one out. You have to let him either come in with no one on base or let him come in if there is already 2 outs. He is a rookie closer you just cant put him in that spot facing the middle of the yankees line up with runners on base and no one out.

Yah I don't think you understood my logic or question, but thats ok I see what you're trying to say.

Yah I don't think you understood my logic or question, but thats ok I see what you're trying to say.

I answered your question directly. Cant bring your rookie closer in like that to a game, with runners on first and third with no one out in the 8th. You have bullpen guys that are used to coming in with men on base, thats why they're there for that situation, but they just didnt get it done.

EDIT:Here was situation. CJ gives up a hit to gardner, Jeter doubles and gardner scores(5-2). Jeter Is on second, this is were your saying they should have brought feliz in, instead of Oliver. No one but Rivera comes in for a 6 out save and he even doesnt do that to often. They hand the ball to Oliver like they been doing all season long he just didnt get it done, Feliz cant handle a 6 out save, you have your closer there to close not be a set up guy and keep it close, because then you would not have a closer. No one in baseball brings there closer in, in the 8th to just pitch the 8th only and let someone else finish the game, it doesnt work that way or he wouldnt be considered a closer, you have set-up guys and long relievers that come in the 8th for situations just like that except sometimes it doesnt work out, its just part of it. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:
Rangers WIN 7-2!!

1 inning and this could have been a 2-0 Series lead for the Rangers, But I will take the W today. Lee vs. Pettitte For game 3, should be a good one!

Prediction

5-2 Rangers win game 3.

Man, those were some big pop flys in the first inning.

I'm just checking make sure all of our Philly guys are still alive right now?

Lee needs a big game so the Rangers can take the series lead 2-1

So if you were Charlie would you go with Halladay for game 4?

It really depends on what happens in game 3, but I would say no. Trust in Joe Blanton. Phils need to take 2 of 3 by the Bay and then head back to Philly so Oswalt can bring it home in Game 6.

the series is 1-1, not 2-0. Save for a dropped fly ball by Ibanez the Phils should be up 2-0. I like Hamels vs. Cain and still think the Phils win in 6. the bats are starting to come around and as long as they continue to wait on pitches they'll be ok
I'm just checking make sure all of our Philly guys are still alive right now?

So if you were Charlie would you go with Halladay for game 4?

no need to. If you feel you truely have 3 aces, why bother taking them off their normal routine.

the series is 1-1, not 2-0. Save for a dropped fly ball by Ibanez the Phils should be up 2-0. I like Hamels vs. Cain and still think the Phils win in 6. the bats are starting to come around and as long as they continue to wait on pitches they'll be ok

delayed response to that question...I like how you waited till after game 2 was played:act-up:

Lee vs Pettite. Should be a good one. I have a feeling it may not be Cliff Lee's night

no need to. If you feel you truely have 3 aces, why bother taking them off their normal routine.

But if they truely are Aces they should be able to go on short rest, right?

But if they truely are Aces they should be able to go on short rest, right?

not really, some pitchers are creatures of habbit. Mike Mussina had a lot of great seasons, he was horrible on short rest and just as bad on long rest. If you are the Phillies and you are looking at Halladay, Oswalt, and Hamels for games 5,6,7 I think you are in good shape.

And can we please stop hanging sliders to Hamilton! He's only got 2 hits this series both home runs on hanging sliders

And Ddec, I know your watching the game and Im a little late on this but... HOMERUN HAMILTON!

2-0 Rangers after 1!

And Ddec, I know your watching the game and Im a little late on this but... HOMERUN HAMILTON!

2-0 Rangers after 1!

as I said earlier, do you think they could stop hanging sliders to him? The only 2 balls he's hit all series have been hanging sliders.

as I said earlier, do you think they could stop hanging sliders to him? The only 2 balls he's hit all series have been hanging sliders.

I didnt see your post. My bad.

He has also been walked 5 times out of his 9 at bats so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back