Pulling/ Duck Hooking

woody140284

Addicted to Golf
Reaction score
Handicap
Recently I have been trying to use my driver more as I'm trying to break in to single figures and the extra distance it gives me massively helps. However, I have been using it (TM R11 9*) for a couple of weeks now and find that I am very inconsistent! I'm sure this isn't the driver, so I'm asking for some help!

On the majority of my drives I seem to either pull my drive about 15-20 yards left of where I'm aiming or just completely duck hook it. I can even feel once I've finished the swing that something isn't right with my follow through, I just can't work out what it is. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to try and stop this happening? It doesn't seem to affect any other club, just the driver.

Thanks in advance THPers.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, because you're a better golfer than I am. I had a serious issue with duck hooks and pulls with my driver. I took a lesson and the instructor had me use a more neutral grip position, tee the ball more forward in my stance, and concentrate on the takeaway - low and slow, with a sweeping motion. Worked like a charm.

Last edited:
I think the grip is my main problem and I'm doing the same with the pushes. I'm struggling with my grip big time at the moment as I was trying to change it as my thumb was on the right of the shaft, now I'm just lost with it. Maybe it's time to get me a lesson to work on my grip. Thanks for the idea!

the big adjustment for me was to start placing my thumb on top of the shaft - a 100% neutral position. The first 15 or so drives were pushed as I was subconsciously adjusting my hand to my former strong position on the downswing - obviously leaving the club face open. Another range session fixed that and I'm really consistent on my drives now. Don't lose hope - I'm living proof that a consistent duck hook can be fixed in a relatively short period of time without all that much effort.

I think the grip is my main problem and I'm doing the same with the pushes. I'm struggling with my grip big time at the moment as I was trying to change it as my thumb was on the right of the shaft, now I'm just lost with it. Maybe it's time to get me a lesson to work on my grip. Thanks for the idea!

same thing happened to me last year, went and got a lesson, fixed in 10 minutes

now its back, thought I had it sorted out but to no avail, back to another lesson

Just a heads up guys...this is a thread where the in-house pro (Andy) will help the OP.
Please let him be the first to respond to the thread.

Thanks!

Just a heads up guys...this is a thread where the in-house pro (Andy) will help the OP.
Please let him be the first to respond to the thread.

Thanks!

Aw crap. I didn't even notice that. Sorry! :dohanim:

I would like you to work with a secondary target for a bit. Place a tee in the ground 3-5 inches infront of the ball you are hitting. Have the tee at the same height as your ball. On your down swing hit your ball and try to get out and hit the second tee with the driver as well. You will have a hard time getting there, but the move to keep the club moving down range will help alot, and this will keep you in the shot. Give it a try and let me know how things go.

I would like you to work with a secondary target for a bit. Place a tee in the ground 3-5 inches infront of the ball you are hitting. Have the tee at the same height as your ball. On your down swing hit your ball and try to get out and hit the second tee with the driver as well. You will have a hard time getting there, but the move to keep the club moving down range will help alot, and this will keep you in the shot. Give it a try and let me know how things go.

Andy -- Are you saying his right hand might be rolling over too quick at impact and not moving through long enough? Something I saw on the Tom Watson video pertaining to the grip was interesting. He had his left thumb riding on the right side of center where his right thumb was riding on the left side of center of the grip. Tom has always worked the ball right to left. If you place the thumbs on top of the grip, the V's do not point to the right side of chin or shoulder as we are taught, unless your turn the back of the left hand inwards. Just curious about the thumb position and if a more neutral one really does help with the snap hooks? I may not be making any sense at all. :confused2:

Last edited:
Andy -- Are you saying his right hand might be rolling over too quick at impact and not moving through long enough? Something I saw on the Tom Watson video pertaining to the grip was interesting. He had his left thumb riding on the right side of center where his left thumb was riding on the left side of center of the grip. Tom has always worked the ball right to left. If you place the thumbs on top of the grip, the V's do not point to the right side of chin or shoulder as we are taught, unless your turn the back of the left hand inwards. Just curious about the thumb position and if a more neutral one really does help with the snap hooks? I may not be making any sense at all. :confused2:

Gray I am a bit confused by this. It seems that this person has two left thumbs... I have heard of two left feet but never two left thumbs. :D Could you clarify as this is my most common miss. Thanks!

Andy -- Are you saying his right hand might be rolling over too quick at impact and not moving through long enough? Something I saw on the Tom Watson video pertaining to the grip was interesting. He had his left thumb riding on the right side of center where his left thumb was riding on the left side of center of the grip. Tom has always worked the ball right to left. If you place the thumbs on top of the grip, the V's do not point to the right side of chin or shoulder as we are taught, unless your turn the back of the left hand inwards. Just curious about the thumb position and if a more neutral one really does help with the snap hooks? I may not be making any sense at all. :confused2:

Gray, that's kind of how my grip is now. My right thumb used to be on the right hand side of the shaft with my left thumb on the left hand side. Recently I've moved my right way over to now be on the left side of centre, trying to get more of the correct V alignment and my left thumb has therefore moved further right. I'm wondering if this is what is making my hook as my right hand is too strong.

If anyone has any pictures of a correct grip that would be great as I'm really struggling with this. I've looked online but can never find an ideal grip. I shape the ball right to left naturally and would hate to lose this.

I'm going to the range tonight anyway to work on the help that Andy has given me (thanks for this) and I will report back with the results.

Moving the thumbs or "v" more on top will weaken the grip and make it harder to hook the ball. It is more of a quick fix to a bigger issue. Another anti-hook grip is to move the grip up into the palms of the hands versus the fingers.

Ok, so I've been out on the range a bit and played a couple of rounds over the weekend and here is the outcome. Although I am still pulling a few of my drives, more so when I'm really trying to hit it, most of the pulls have gone now, however they have turned into a block right. It's not slicing away really, just being blocked out straight right. I think more than anything this is now because I'm not swinging through it properly as I'm scared of turning over my hands and hooking it.

I have moved my grip so my right thumb is more on top, but I'm still not comfortable with it, for some reason my left thumb has started to hurt while on the range?! I think to get my new grip completely sorted I'm going to have to go and get a lesson, I just need to find a good Pro in the area.

I'll keep practising on trying to hit the tee in front of the ball and need to concentrate on hitting through the ball and not stopping on it

Gray I am a bit confused by this. It seems that this person has two left thumbs... I have heard of two left feet but never two left thumbs. :D Could you clarify as this is my most common miss. Thanks!

haha good catch Doc! I fixed it :D

That's a fantastic drill- I was hitting straight drives on the range today. Have to remember this when my left comes into play. Thanks Andy.

It may also be something as simple as either casting the club or throwing open your front shoulder when trying to "muscle up" on the ball. The tee drill mentioned before (or "chasing") the ball works pretty well as an on the course fix, as does simply opening up your back foot very slightly and then positioning the ball about 1/2 to 1 inch further back in your stance.

Good Luck!

It may also be something as simple as either casting the club or throwing open your front shoulder when trying to "muscle up" on the ball. The tee drill mentioned before (or "chasing") the ball works pretty well as an on the course fix, as does simply opening up your back foot very slightly and then positioning the ball about 1/2 to 1 inch further back in your stance.

Good Luck!

I think I've become victim to this "muscle up" type open shoulders syndrome. I just can't seem to get rid of it.

Back