Stand Bags vs. Cart Bags

Stand Bags vs. Cart Bags

• Stand Bag

Votes: 66 51.2%
  • Cart Bag

Votes: 63 48.8%

• Total voters
I've always just use a stand bag,cart bags are just to heavy and bulky for me.

What do you mean?

In my case, I end up carrying stuff to accomodate New England's ever changing climate. The temp change in the spring and fall just over the course of the daylight hours during a given day can be kinda' comical. In addition since our golf season is shorter than it is in some parts of the country I will go out more often than not even under threat of rain but have to carry the gear to handle it.

I would guess that more often than not you don't have to worry about that much variability in the weather but more likely carry stuff that is more specific to what you face out there on the course.

I've always just use a stand bag,cart bags are just to heavy and bulky for me.

I agree and my Grom holds everything I need, and works just fine in a cart. Of course my option 1 is always walking. Only way I ride is if A) it's required or B) I will be the only one walking and holding up the rest of the foursome.

In my case, I end up carrying stuff to accomodate New England's ever changing climate. The temp change in the spring and fall just over the course of the daylight hours during a given day can be kinda' comical. In addition since our golf season is shorter than it is in some parts of the country I will go out more often than not even under threat of rain but have to carry the gear to handle it.

I would guess that more often than not you don't have to worry about that much variability in the weather but more likely carry stuff that is more specific to what you face out there on the course.

In my bag I always carry rain gear. This is FL after all. I carry the same stuff as everybody else since I have lived in so many places. It just so happens that my bag is larger than most so I can carry more.

I agree and my Grom holds everything I need, and works just fine in a cart. Of course my option 1 is always walking. Only way I ride is if A) it's required or B) I will be the only one walking and holding up the rest of the foursome.

I don't think a walker would hold up the cart guys.Have you seen how many of them play and drive?It's like Synchronized swimming

I don't think a walker would hold up the cart guys.Have you seen how many of them play and drive?It's like Synchronized swimming

HAHA good point. Most of the time when I join up with randoms on the weekend it takes them twice as many shots to get where I am anyways, and I'm not even that good.

Depends on the course. Down here, they sure would, distance between holes can be close to a half a mile on some courses.

Depends on the course. Down here, they sure would, distance between holes can be close to a half a mile on some courses.

Are you serious? Between green to next teebox?

That's true.Many newer courses have done that very thing and have killed walking courses.Many courses here in AZ have done the same thing,make walking tough to do

Are you serious? Between green to next teebox?

Yup. Sarasota National, where we played the Spring Outing this year has a quarter of a mile between green and tee box on 3 different holes.

Our old home course has a full half mile between green and tee box on 1 hole.

Heck PGA National has quite a few where you wind around a long way to get to the tee box.

That is why riding is mandatory on many of these courses. Its just not practical from a speed perspective to walk that distance.

Wow that sounds like poor management of space.

Wow that sounds like poor management of space.

Why?

Courses are built around great neighborhoods and many in some areas want to live in golf communities. For a lot of people, a golf course is a country club. It is more than just a golf course. It is a place for social activities. But being this close and living in a golf community can mean easy access to all the amenities and practice facilities. People using golf carts to get around. Its a self contained neighborhood for golf.

Why?

Courses are built around great neighborhoods and many in some areas want to live in golf communities. For a lot of people, a golf course is a country club. It is more than just a golf course. It is a place for social activities. But being this close and living in a golf community can mean easy access to all the amenities and practice facilities. People using golf carts to get around. Its a self contained neighborhood for golf.

I see your point I guess I just can't picture it. This is coming from someone who lives in Iowa though, where space is a plenty. Although the CC we belonged to when I was younger only had houses lining one boundary of the course.

My driver is so erratic at the moment I would be terrified of playing on a course like you describe.

I see your point I guess I just can't picture it. This is coming from someone who lives in Iowa though, where space is a plenty. Although the CC we belonged to when I was younger only had houses lining one boundary of the course.

My driver is so erratic at the moment I would be terrified of playing on a course like you describe.

Its not always about having houses lining fairways. Its also about having a community surround and co-exist with a golf course. Our old course had very few houses in play off the tee (2 holes I believe). But you still had them intertwining through the course and making it an actual golf community. Its not really about lack of land. Its about building and creating communities that people want to live in or aspire to live in that enjoy the game of golf.

In my bag I always carry rain gear. This is FL after all. I carry the same stuff as everybody else since I have lived in so many places. It just so happens that my bag is larger than most so I can carry more.

One thing that made a real big difference for me given the weather variability here was the ZR tour rain suit. It can actually handle some cold and wind as well as rain and most important in my case, the jacket breaks down from a full jacket to a short sleeve jacket and then down to a vest. I would have had to carry a couple different tops just to duplicate that part of some weather protection. Clothing is still pretty bulky though and then there is the rest of the junk we probably all carry around.

What is this rain gear you guys speak of?

Stand bags for me, but I'm a fan of walking and carrying. They make some bigger stand bags with lots of pockets, dividers, etc. so you can get (nearly) the best of both worlds.

I have a cart bag.

To be honest, I see stand bags as a choice only for really talented golfers who almost always hit the fairways (or at least always know where their mishit balls go).

At my current stage of development (or lack thereof), I need the cart to go zipping around in quick search of my grokked ball, so cart bag it is for me. :)

However, I can see wanting a stand bag as a way of preventing club loss (i.e., it makes you less likely to leave a wedge on the green, since they're all already in the close vicinity).

Kim

I have both a stand and a cart bag. The only problem with my stand bag is that it always wobbles in the cart and won't stay put. I like my stand bag for my push cart and my cart bag for the regular carts. I like them both, I use them both :)

I prefer a large stand bag. I carry a lot of stuff so I need as much room as I can get, but I also like having the stand bag for other things. I don't walk much at all anymore, but I could walk if the mood struck me with my stand bag. It is much lighter than most cart bags. I would like to have a full or midsize staff bag, but it would just be a pain in the butt in the trunk of the car among other things.

I currently have an older (6-7 years ago maybe) Titleist 'premium' stand bag and it has worked well. Has enough room for full raingear and just about everything else I have needed, and it is easy enough to walk with.

Stand bag... for one reason 3 words...
carries more beer.

I'll elaborate, I walk the course 90% of the time, as my home course is cart path only and that really slows you down. It is much faster to walk than ride. I have a Sun Mountain Micro Cart (4 wheels) and a Sun Mountain bag (see sig) and it works well. The Microcart folds down so small (not to mention SO FAST) I can actually put it in the basket on a golf car, if need be.

carries more beer.

Now you are correct about walking is certainly easier with the stand bag and the cart is quite nice. But I will tell you I would be SHOCKED if your stand bag can hold as many beverages as my staff bag or most of the cart bags I have had in the past.

Are there any courses left that still allow you to bring your own beer? Most around here sell it and give you a cooler to use.

carries more beer.

There's something I never considered!! Haha.

It's been a LONG time since I've done that. I'm talking YEARS!! Like duey said, most courses don't want you doing that!

Back