Trying To Break 90 Club

shot 83 last monday.
but 91 and 90 after that.
back to plugging away at 90 again....:banghead:

I used to shoot in the mid-80's all the time. Then I started following ALL of the rules. Boy was I shocked when I added up a 98. OB penalties can make a mess of a scorecard in short order. To date, I have 3 rounds of 90, 2 @ 91, and bunches of rounds above that. My goal is still to break 90 by the end of the season. Fortunately, I live in NC so I can theoretically play until the end of the year.

Hi guys, brand new here.

I just wanted to weigh in on the effort to break 90. I've done it a few times this year, two were actually in tournaments where I shot scores of 85, 84, 89 respectively. I still can't do it all the time, but things are improving. My handicap is down 14 strokes in 12 months. A lot of that has to do with coaching and working hard on all aspects of my game.

To those who are still on the cusp of reaching this goal, I'd say this:

It's mostly about course managment. If you think about it, you can bogey every hole and shoot 90. If you can bogey every hole and avoid the big number by playing smart, then you can make one par...boom you just broke 90.

Before I did it successfully, I really considered bogeys to be 'my' par. So I'd play the par 4s as 3 shot holes and the par 5s as 4 shot holes. Keep the ball on the short grass and never look at the score. Just think about the next shot. Now, of course, I'm greedy and can't get my head around this since I'm thinking about breaking 80. :D

It also helped me to try to swing very smooth and easy and completely forget about distance. I've got distance to burn if I'm playing for bogey. If you think about it, you could hit three 7 irons and almost reach some par 5s in 3.

I'd say the real battle is internal - do I play smart the way I know I can score, or do I try to play 'conventionally' or like I wish I could play?

Anyway, congrats to all who have done it and all who will do it. This looks like a great forum and I'm excited to participate. :banana:

I wanted to make sure I was able to stay in the 90's more than the 100's before I came over here. Now, I'm going to join the club. I don't really expect this to happen by the end of the year, but I might as well get a goal out there. My goal is to break 90 next season. I'm positive that I can do it, but need to improve on a few things. I'm going to work on my ball striking all winter inside start with. My main concerns are limiting really awful shots and improving accuracy with the rest of them. Looking forward to my next challenge!

you will man. you're more than on your way. once you do it you'll be surprised (or not) on when you don't keep breaking 90. My rounds have been anywhere from 84-104 this year so when you break 90 it's a great expectation to have and strive to keep yourself there.
I wanted to make sure I was able to stay in the 90's more than the 100's before I came over here. Now, I'm going to join the club. I don't really expect this to happen by the end of the year, but I might as well get a goal out there. My goal is to break 90 next season. I'm positive that I can do it, but need to improve on a few things. I'm going to work on my ball striking all winter inside start with. My main concerns are limiting really awful shots and improving accuracy with the rest of them. Looking forward to my next challenge!

Thanks, T. I have a handle on what I need to do and feel like I've come really far on a couple obstacles. 1) Constant thinning or topping 2) wedge play.

I had another range session today and hit 3-4 thin shots and topped none. My distance and ball flight are completely different than before and I feel like I'm finally understanding what it takes to hit the ball decently with my irons. I just need to continue to work on that and focus on accuracy.

Wedges are a work in progress, but I know I can play well with them. It's just a matter of being consistent and getting the right tools. I'm hoping some equip changes will make a difference.

I plan to hit the range in the morning for a couple hours then play 18. Hopefully tomorrow is the day. My course is relatively short, so if I can't work out the driver, I'll leave it in the van for the round. If it's in the bag, I just can't help but swing it.

I was part of this club for a very long time, and when I finally had a breakthrough round I shot an 82. The best round of my life. Now my goal is to get under 90 on a regular basis as it has only happened 3 times for me.

By the way mdbuschsr, have you gone to the Golf Academy on hwy 70? The name of the pro there is Herman, and he is awesome. You should check him out, he can straighten out your driver pretty quick if you are willing to put in the work.

By the way mdbuschsr, have you gone to the Golf Academy on hwy 70? The name of the pro there is Herman, and he is awesome. You should check him out, he can straighten out your driver pretty quick if you are willing to put in the work.

I'm actually going to be starting lessons soon (hopefully). I like that range, but I am going to be taking my lessons from the lead instructor at my course.

I hit the club 2 weeks ago shooting 87 and then 85 at a local course. But back it up this weekend shooting a.....108. I can't seem to get off the tee-box good. 8 penalty strokes will kill you. And sad thing is in that (108) round, I had 24 putts......Go and figure.

So my backstory: Came to THP for advice on a new set of clubs (like they were the reason i was shooting 120+) Got some incredible reviews - met up with golftec and took a dozen lessons over the past 6 months. Was fitted back in June for a new set of clubs - and have stuck to my goal of breaking 90 this season.

I usually take a lesson or hit the range on monday AM - then play 18 (its my day off) - Try and golf with a buddy weds or thurs am - and again fri or sun am. After shooting 94, 90 , 91, and the like several times - the elusive 89 or lower did not appear like it was going to come.

Well i played 36 holes monday - and shot a 90 on the first round. Scoring a double bogey 6 on the last hole that would have sealed it!! First drive went OB Left - and i started sweating hah.

Well i buckled down - and was paired up with two kids from OU - recent grads. Seemed nice enough. Simple drastraction from the attempt to finally break 90 this round. I went through my checklist... No 3 putts.. keep it in bounds... Play the safe shots... dont swing too hard with the driver - just try and hit fairways and greens.. simple enough plan - but it just nver works that way right?

Well I shot a 38 going out! A personal Best - birdied 9 with a 20 footer when my approach PW went long, imagine that.. then a 42 on the back. With another 6 on the last hole lol.

But my strategy appeared to work - hit 64% of fairways and 43% of GIR. 32 putts - which is REALLY good for me. Including a 3 putt on 18. My lowest round of my life, and my year - an 80 - beating my goal by a whopping 10 strokes. using a putter i bought a week ago, the method - and played 4 rounds with altogether.

I have a feeling it is going to only get better - Golf is the most fun it has ever been at this point! I am still in ecstasy.

I am in the same club, I will average between 95-99. I have broke 90 once and shot an 88 but haven't been able to get back there. I know my biggest issue is putting. Putting 40 times in a round is why I'm not breaking it. I have been working hard to improve my putting. I picked up a putter that I feel comfortable with and seem to putt pretty well and will continue to work on it.

I'm actually going to be starting lessons soon (hopefully). I like that range, but I am going to be taking my lessons from the lead instructor at my course.
Which club is your home club?

So my backstory: Came to THP for advice on a new set of clubs (like they were the reason i was shooting 120+) Got some incredible reviews - met up with golftec and took a dozen lessons over the past 6 months. Was fitted back in June for a new set of clubs - and have stuck to my goal of breaking 90 this season.

I usually take a lesson or hit the range on monday AM - then play 18 (its my day off) - Try and golf with a buddy weds or thurs am - and again fri or sun am. After shooting 94, 90 , 91, and the like several times - the elusive 89 or lower did not appear like it was going to come.

Well i played 36 holes monday - and shot a 90 on the first round. Scoring a double bogey 6 on the last hole that would have sealed it!! First drive went OB Left - and i started sweating hah.

Well i buckled down - and was paired up with two kids from OU - recent grads. Seemed nice enough. Simple drastraction from the attempt to finally break 90 this round. I went through my checklist... No 3 putts.. keep it in bounds... Play the safe shots... dont swing too hard with the driver - just try and hit fairways and greens.. simple enough plan - but it just nver works that way right?

Well I shot a 38 going out! A personal Best - birdied 9 with a 20 footer when my approach PW went long, imagine that.. then a 42 on the back. With another 6 on the last hole lol.

But my strategy appeared to work - hit 64% of fairways and 43% of GIR. 32 putts - which is REALLY good for me. Including a 3 putt on 18. My lowest round of my life, and my year - an 80 - beating my goal by a whopping 10 strokes. using a putter i bought a week ago, the method - and played 4 rounds with altogether.

I have a feeling it is going to only get better - Golf is the most fun it has ever been at this point! I am still in ecstasy.

Holy cow man! I am envious of you! You almost cracked 80 without even stopping in the 80's.

Holy cow man! I am envious of you! You almost cracked 80 without even stopping in the 80's.

The craziest thing about that round was I hadn't 3 putted the entire 2nd 18... The lastbhole I missed the GIR by a foot had a simple chip up to the hole which I elected to putt. It had some break right to left- maybe 20 feet. All I needed was a 2 putt for 79- but I didn't eve n know that at the time. I don't like the added pressure of knowing exactly how many strokes I neednto break goals - i knew I had a great round going it wasn't until the final tap in- 3 putt I entered it into my iPhone- checked card and saw 80.. Holy **** . I was so happy. It wasn't until my first beer after softball that I realized I missed a 79 on one damn 3 putt lol. Ahh well.

The craziest thing about that round was I hadn't 3 putted the entire 2nd 18... The lastbhole I missed the GIR by a foot had a simple chip up to the hole which I elected to putt. It had some break right to left- maybe 20 feet. All I needed was a 2 putt for 79- but I didn't eve n know that at the time. I don't like the added pressure of knowing exactly how many strokes I neednto break goals - i knew I had a great round going it wasn't until the final tap in- 3 putt I entered it into my iPhone- checked card and saw 80.. Holy **** . I was so happy. It wasn't until my first beer after softball that I realized I missed a 79 on one damn 3 putt lol. Ahh well.

Mate good on you :) that sounded like an awesome round. like your philosophy of keeping it easy

Looks like this thread hasn't been posted to in a while. My average round is around 92-94 which puts me right in this group.
Best round I've ever had was an 88 but I haven't been able to repeat it since. Here's to hoping I'll be able to do it again this year!

Looks like this thread hasn't been posted to in a while. My average round is around 92-94 which puts me right in this group.
Best round I've ever had was an 88 but I haven't been able to repeat it since. Here's to hoping I'll be able to do it again this year!

Welcome to the club dude. Im about the same way, I'll shoot in the low 90's most of the time and have a couple high 80's mixed in. Just cant seem to get into the 80's and stay though.

Ive been a mid 90s player since i started this last year. I put together a new bag towards the end "sig". My go to course is a small 9 hole that is very challenging and tight fairways. Greens there are just as tricky. They rebuilt it some time ago and it runs the first tee program. It's the corse im learning on. They have a fantastic practice green as well and a pitch,chipping green and range. For a change of pace my golf buddy and i went to a nice 18 hole corse not far away. It seemed like the fairways were 3 times as wide lol. It was wild playing elevated tees and all the hazards. First time i played a par 5 hole "first time in a cart too lol". Something about playing on a course that looked like Trump national was amazing to me. Shot my best and only sub 90 score that day "87". This is the year chipping,pitching and putting are going to take the front seat.

Short and strait is better than long and wrong.

broke 90 in my first year :clap:

broke 90 in my first year :clap:

Congrats! I seem to be going the opposite direction. 98/97 on my last 2 outings. Maybe tomorrow morning will be a bit better....

Broke 90 a few times at the end of last season. I've put some serious time in at the range so far in hopes that I break 90 on my first round of the new year.

Back