How to hit a flop shot.

Bullfrog

Team Hackers 4EVA!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full swing
Everyone here knows that I am an amateur golfer. Like most, I struggle with my short game around the green. I can chip decently as long as I don't need to flop shot it. I can bump and run the ball pretty good, just off aim a little but that can be fixed. I don't know how to hit a flop shot. I know that I need to have that shot in my bag for my game to be where I would like it to be. There are plenty of times during my rounds that I need the ball to stop just after it hits the green. Plus when I need to put it close while chipping to a down slope of the green. When I bump and run it, I can't get the ball to stop. So, I struggle witth those too. Any of you have tips on "flopping"? I would really like to learn this shot and know that I need it.

Thanks Thainer... I appreciate you finding that. It's very informative. I guess I also need to get a 60* or 64* wedge to chip with. I normally just chip with my 9 iron. What clubs do most of you chip with?

I chip with my hybrid, PW and 54. Chipping with a 60 or 64 leads to major inconsistencies. I would stick to your current method bro, and adjust your club selection based on loft needed. Dont run to a 60 for short shots, its one of the worst things you can do. Keep with what your comfortable. You can hit all the shots with your current setup, just practice and youll get it.
Thanks Thainer... I appreciate you finding that. It's very informative. I guess I also need to get a 60* or 64* wedge to chip with. I normally just chip with my 9 iron. What clubs do most of you chip with?

Thanks. So what your saying is go to like my Lob wedge for flop shot? That is the highest loft club I have. I have noticed that if I bump and run using my P it doesn't run as far. So, I guess using my lob may get me where I need it. Is it as simple as switching my club? And practice practice practice... My home course has a nice chipping and puttnig green with hills and valleys all around it. I go there at lunch when the weather is nice, it's 5 mins from where I work. I practice chipping and putting at lunch. When I go today, I will try using a different club and see. Thanks again for your advice Thainer.

* I bought a set of irons out of the store no fitting. Im about do for a new set so I will get a fitting!!!

Last edited:
The flopshot is one of the hardest shots in golf to execute. Most golfers should never attempt it because the smallest error leads to very large numbers. Its common now because guys on tour can execute it.

Thanks. So what your saying is go to like my Lob wedge for flop shot? That is the highest loft club I have. I have noticed that if I bump and run using my P it doesn't run as far. So, I guess using my lob may get me where I need it. Is it as simple as switching my club? And practice practice practice... My home course has a nice chipping and puttnig green with hills and valleys all around it. I go there at lunch when the weather is nice, it's 5 mins from where I work. I practice chipping and putting at lunch. When I go today, I will try using a different club and see. Thanks again for your advice Thainer.

* I bought a set of irons out of the store no fitting. Im about do for a new set so I will get a fitting!!!

Somewhere on this forum, someone (for some reason I think it was Kellybo) posted a generic ratio of flying distance to rolling distance for different clubs.
I believe a 50 degree gap wedge was 1:1, but I could be wrong.
Can anyone dig that up?

Nothing is worse than yelling fore from about 10 yards off the green =(

Nothing is worse than yelling fore from about 10 yards off the green =(

Or hearing the splash from across the green.

Or hearing the splash from across the green.

Exactly. Like JB said this shot leads to big numbers. I have a hard time doing this but I generally take the high percentage shot to the safest spot on the green and take your medicine. Shooting better scores for amateurs generally involves avoid doubles and beyond.

Flop shot should be a last resort, I can pull it off more often that not but I rarely use it. I'll take a safer approach to a fat part of the green and take my chances at a 2 putt bogey rather than a 2 putt double or triple.

I love hitting the flop shot. For some reason im very comfortable with it and find it really easy for me to do. I use a 60, 55 or 50 to hit them with depending on what needs to happen. But very rarely do I hit one on the course unless im behind a tree because I just find I dont need to hit it unless im behind up something and need to get it way up in the air. I open the club face up almost all the way then open my stance up to then judge on how hard I should swing based on the distance. Takes some time to get used to and the tighter the lie the harder it is to do. I think I have honestly hit 4 flop shots in the last 10 rounds. 2 I was stuck behind a tree and the other 2 I went over a elevated green then had to flop it up there. I would not by any means say its a must have shot, just nice to have from time to time if your behind a tree.

The flop shot is one of the hardest shots in golf to execute. Most golfers should never attempt it because the smallest error leads to very large numbers. Its common now because guys on tour can execute it.

I agree 100%. I played with a lady this week who hit the most incredible flop shot I have ever seen. She was at the bottom of a green that was sky high and hit it within 1 foot for birdie. She said she practiced it all the time. I would never attempt it at this point in my game. I have too many other things to perfect first. :)

My flop shot is one of the strengths of my game -- with a bump and run being one of my weaknesses. I am trying to change that latter this year, attempting more pitch shots with my 9 iron, PW and GW to try develop a bump and run game. I would be especially useful later in the summer when the fairways harden up.

Work on the rest of your game and don't worry about the flop shot. It's one of those things that is very rarely needed. You have to have the right conditions to even execute it.

I use my 56* degree for everything from 70 yards and in. It is my go to wedge in any situation around the green. Why risk loosing that consistency of knowing your chipping club inside and out?

I carry a 60* for that time, once every 3 rounds or so, when I need to get the ball higher or try to land it softly. In 6 rounds of golf this year I have used my 60* twice. Once it went very well and the other was a total botch. It is in my bag for the few times I need a low bounce club and I need to get under the ball.

I have considered dropping my 52* all together since it never gets used- but I am going to wait until my gaps for this year have settled. Heck- for as much as I love my MC PW I may starting using it for everything around the green.

To echo everyones thoughts, flop is the very last resort. Very difficult shot to repeat.

I'd like to add I always see people thinking that a flop no matter what stops on a dime, but unless you're playing rubbish greens they'll roll out quite a bit. The clubhead speed you have to generate to hit a 5-10 yard flop that stops quickly is just not worth the risk in my opinion. Unless you're trying to break par or at that level I recommend just taking your medicine and mitigating your errors with a safe chip.

I luv the flop. I think it is one of the most fun shots to practice. I have moved away from using it on the course as I have tried a bit harder to post lower scores. I do practice it every once in a while though. I try to hit it over my patio umbrella and stick it on my putting green. 1 out of 5 times it works. Lol

I use it every now and then and practiced it quite a bit when I bought Phil's short game video. My course has very tight lies though in most areas so I don't have the chance to use it much.

In any case, open your stance, open your club face, keep more weight on your back foot, move the ball up in your stance and follow through with your club face pointing to the sky.

I use it every now and then and practiced it quite a bit when I bought Phil's short game video. My course has very tight lies though in most areas so I don't have the chance to use it much.

In any case, open your stance, open your club face, keep more weight on your back foot, move the ball up in your stance and follow through with your club face pointing to the sky.

I always thought you wanted your weight more on your front foot to avoid skulling it 90 yards and to help hit down to generate spin, but I try to avoid flops at all costs.

I always thought you wanted your weight more on your front foot to avoid skulling it 90 yards and to help hit down to generate spin, but I try to avoid flops at all costs.

I put my weight on the back foot to create a shallower path through instead of a steep path. I don't remember what Phil instructed in the video as it has been a while since I watched it, but this works for me.

Yeah, almost every instructor would tell you to keep weight on the front foot. Back foot would equal coming in thin for many many golfers.

After watching the video Thainer posted, Phil and I are almost on the same page. I won't hit it off a tight lie, which Phil states you need your weight forward. I only hit it off fluffy lies, where he states you need your weight level, for me, I put a little more on the back foot.

I will hit flops in two completely different ways, one is more similar to the way Phil hits them. From a very slightly open stance keeping my left arm very straight and just cocking my wrists back and then basically dropping the clubhead down and into the back of the ball, I try to keep a feeling that my left arm is always pointed straight down at the ball all the way through the stroke. It isn't of course but I try to limit that left arm movement back away from the ball so it feels that way. Doing this means I almost never miss-hit the ball. My stance is about like my chip stance so I don't have any weight issues to speak of and rarely blade one. Weight is balanced between both feet so I don't drift but the ball will definitely fly higher if I move weight back onto my right foot and keep it there and it will fly lower if moved up. I can also open or close the face on anything from a SW to a 64LW to hit this shot higher, lower or farther and can hit a shot almost straight up in the air with a 64LW just for grins. 60LW hit this way also works as a sand shot that flies really high if the lie is good. I will also hit very short flops almost the way I would setup and hit a regular bunker shot, only without hitting behind the ball. Stiff wrists, open stance and clubface straight back and through with a stiff wristed stroke like for a chip that undercuts the ball popping it up in the air. I can only hit this shot about 5 to 10 yards with a 64* wedge, if I try to hit it much harder than that I risk blading it so it is easier for me to hit them the other way most of the time.

Back