Thompson Cigars

Thread: Shafts: ZZ65 vs DG S300

Handicap
    Thanks

Shafts: ZZ65 vs DG S300

My current irons have the ZZ65 shaft. I did a club fitting and the results show I performed the best with the DG S300. The pro said they are very similar shafts. The DG is a heavier shaft. This may work better with my quicker tempo. However he said go with what feels the best. They both felt the same. They only felt really great when hit pure. The KBS and AWT -S felt better but did not come close in performance.

Any thoughts the DG S300 shaft vs the ZZ65?

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 57,493 Times in 11,891 Posts
    Im not a huge fan of the ZZ65 shafts but I have to say I believe you are going to the THP Outing & Demo Day and if you are, you may want to sit tight on gear for a couple of months and get to try out everything first.
    Driver: Big Bertha w/ Custom LZ HandMade
    Fairway Wood: Big Bertha 15*
    Hybrids: X2Hot 3 & 4

Irons:
    D200 w/ Program shafts
    Wedges: 588 RTX 2.0 50, 54 & 58
    Putter: Z3
    Balls: B330-RX

Banned
    Handicap
    Thanks
    The ZZ65 and the S300 have a very similar profiles with the ZZ65 being just a touch stiffer but also a little lighter. The Dynamic Gold shaft that most closely matches the ZZ65 would be the Dynamic Gold SL X100.

Handicap
    Thanks
    Like said above the Z-Z65 would be similar to a hard stepped TT DGSL S300. Bigger question is do you like a heavier shaft like the DG or something in the 115 gram class like the Z-Z65. Things to consider depending on what your age is do you have any elbow problems or pain? Will you be able to swing the heavier DG shafts as well on the 18th hole as well as you swing them on the first hole? If you're 30 years old this won't be a issue, but if you're 50 or older it might be.
    Driver: Bridgestone J33R 460 10.5, Graphite Design Pershing 65
    Fairway: Bridgestone J33 15 degree
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Gold 20 degree
    Irons: Mizuno MX 200 4-PW
    Wedges: Callaway X Forged 50, 54 C Grind MD, 58 C Grind MD
    Putter: Cleveland Classic Milled Face #1
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1x
    GPS: SkyCaddie SG-5

Handicap
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbud View Post
    Like said above the Z-Z65 would be similar to a hard stepped TT DGSL S300. Bigger question is do you like a heavier shaft like the DG or something in the 115 gram class like the Z-Z65. Things to consider depending on what your age is do you have any elbow problems or pain? Will you be able to swing the heavier DG shafts as well on the 18th hole as well as you swing them on the first hole? If you're 30 years old this won't be a issue, but if you're 50 or older it might be.
    Never tried a heavier shaft so I don't know what to compare it to. I am under 40 and fortunately no major aches and pains. I questioned if I fatigued will this cause problems down the stretch. The fitter said he felt the heavier shaft will be to my advantage and help me slow down my tempo.

You can't scale this! Super Tuna's Avatar
    Handicap
    Thanks
    I'm with the fitter on the tempo change. I also have a fast tempo and adding extra weight to my irons has helped quite a lot in terms of accuary (from what he told me, it's easier to miss if you have a fast tempo as your body has no time to adjust the mechanics properly).

Also while the extra weight will be a pain at first, it ends of being easier after a couple of rounds. 40 iron shots with heavier shafts takes less work then 50 iron shots with lighter shafts.
    Driver: R11 / F6M2 or Razr Fit TA / Blur 005
    Fairway: R11 / Kuro Kage
    Hybrids: Razr / Kuro Kage
    Irons: Diablo Forged / DG SL
    Wedges: SM4 50/56/62
    Putter: Newport 2 Select / +80g weight / Matrix U11-P02
    Ball: Hex Black or Pro V1X