Your experience of putter shortening

waz84

Reaction score
Handicap
I am looking to cut my Mizuno putter down by 1.5". There is a lot of discussion online about it messing feeling and weight. Has anyone cut their putter down this much and noticed a larger difference?

I've never done this. I actually went the other way, and lengthened my putter.

My guess is that if you are just cutting it down to where you hold it anyway, you shouldn't see any difference. That sounds right to me anyway.

I have several times and unless your have crazy sensitive hands you won't feel too much difference. I believe an inch charges two swing weights. This can always be countered by lead tape or other weight management pieces

I bought a really nice putter that was 35" and learned from my instructor that I needed a 32". I talked it over with the master club maker at the Learning Center and he recommended that I not cut it more than an inch because it really messes up the weighting. He didn't even want me putting a larger grip on it because it will make the head too light. Cutting an inch off helped but I choke up a lot too.

I've done it with all my putters without any problem.Manufacturers will say it messes up the balance and feel etc but if you look at the head weights on 33"/34"35" models they are all the same.You'll adapt in no time.

I am looking to cut my Mizuno putter down by 1.5". There is a lot of discussion online about it messing feeling and weight. Has anyone cut their putter down this much and noticed a larger difference?

Never be afraid to experiment. I have cut down and/or added length to probably two or three hundred putters over the years, for both myself & others, and I doubt you will notice the difference. A 1.5 inch piece of shaft is no more than a few grams of weight.

Anything done to a golf club can be undone. Go for it!

I've done it with all my putters without any problem.Manufacturers will say it messes up the balance and feel etc but if you look at the head weights on 33"/34"35" models they are all the same.You'll adapt in no time.

Not entirely true. Just depends on the model and the OEM. Some heads are slightly different weights, made for specific shaft lengths. Not true of every putter, but this is done more so today than in years past.

I have shortened half an inch with no issues. Good luck, important to have a putter length you are comfortable and confident in.

I've cut every putter I own multiple times until I get the feel I like. My Nike has been cut 4 or 5 times. Never an issue and it can always be reshafted if you don't like it.

--
tapatalk

I go the other way, I added 2" to my 35" Cleveland VP Milled and made it 37", I putt pretty well with it.

Years ago I had a 35" Ping putter that I liked, but I had some back issues and couldn't practice for more than a few minutes w/o my back stiffening badly. I added 2" to make it 37" overall and had no problems adjusting, and the more upright stance that put me into solved the back issues.

I've never done this. I actually went the other way, and lengthened my putter.

My guess is that if you are just cutting it down to where you hold it anyway, you shouldn't see any difference. That sounds right to me anyway.

Smalls... I have a fairly old-school putting style in that I bend over a bit more than the modern style. I also choke down on the putter by about 3 inches. I too thought that by simply cutting down 2 inches, I wouldn't notice any difference. However, I did notice a difference (or I perceived a difference), even though i still had the same setup and grip. I couldn't get used to it and simply gave up. I admit, however, that I didn't try lead tape or anything to improve the feel.

I don't think there is really a wrong or right answer. Putters and putting style is such a personal thing. Everything is subjective but I think even more so with putters. When you look at the different brands of current drivers, they all more or less look the same and are within 3 or so inches in length from each other, but with putters, there is a HUGE number of totally different looks and styles with putters. Just that in itself shows just how individual putting is.

It is for the reason I always encourage everyone to not be afraid to experiment. Arnold Palmer has 5000 putters in his workshop. He was a player first and a collector second. He says he has all the putters because he was constantly grinding, bending, cutting and reshafting trying to find the next best putter.

I already use short putter at 33 inches. Any shorter would be really really short.

Back