Xcaliber Rapid Taper Wedge Shafts

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Rapid Taper shaft from Robin Arthur and his Xcaliber brand has been an interesting one to keep up with. Their performance potential is well documented on THP with our reviews of both the RTI 105 shafts (here: Xcaliber Rapid Taper 105 Iron Shaft Review – The Hackers Paradise) as well as some of the lighter weight options (here: XCaliber Rapid Taper Iron Shaft Review – The Hackers Paradise). Today though, it is the wedge which we are here to talk about, specifically the Xcaliber RTI 100S and 115S+ wedge shafts.

Continue reading...

Good article and some intrigue is there. The RT line seems to work well for you @Jman

Interesting numbers. Yeah they do spin more and shows the stopping power in carry/total but is the difference enough to make a switch? I wonder with my ball striking if it could help. I’m doubtful other than feel.

I've been using the RT wedge shafts in all my wedge sets for the last 2 years, and they perform very well. They are, smooth, consistent, and spinny enough for me. I play the RT100S in the wedges and RTi 95s in my irons. I am very happy with them. I order new shafts for all my wedges and spine-flow them at home.

As always good write up @Jman . The price immediately jumped out at me, doesn't seem like it's a barrier to giving these a whirl. They aren't exorbitantly priced and I do enjoy the graphics. Fully admit, I typically play the same shafts in my wedges as my irons but that's more out of lack of knowledge than preference.

The numbers don't lie, there's a noticeable difference for you specifically. Something to ponder for certain in my next set.

I don't think I'd think much about 300 rpms on a full swing (all else being equal), but 1000 on a 50 yard shot is pretty interesting

Interesting results, especially showing an increase in spin, launch & height with the 115.

I haven't moved to the wedge shafts yet, still enjoying the tipping I did with the 105 S+ I did with my wedges.

I do think that folks looking for help with launch & spin in their irons, & now a designated wedge shaft should give these a go. Agreed they're not for everyone but the feel & forgiveness is something to be tried.

While the increase in spin isn’t mind-blowingly high, it’s enough to build some interest and the price is pretty reasonable to boot.

• Staff
I don't think I'd think much about 300 rpms on a full swing (all else being equal), but 1000 on a 50 yard shot is pretty interesting
It’s a lot on those shorties for sure. It’s just interesting how much more stout they play than the RT iron shafts.

While the increase in spin isn’t mind-blowingly high, it’s enough to build some interest and the price is pretty reasonable to boot.
I agree honestly, and the price isn’t crazy, that helps.

The issue I think will remain access more than anything, most will have to take an online flier. Which hey, we golfers here on the internet are definitely not scared of doing haha

Great write up as always. I have a set of 100s shafts in closet waiting for me to select new wedges to put them in.

@Jman the link to the iron shaft review isn't working - is that just me? Just learning about this company and am curious to read. Cheers

@Jman the link to the iron shaft review isn't working - is that just me? Just learning about this company and am curious to read. Cheers
Well, darn.

Just hop to the homepage and search XCaliber, they should both pop up as well as some other things about the brand! We will get that fixed, I’m pretty positive I messed up the link I sent in my article.

Great article, almost the same carry distance with a big jump in spin between these and the stock steel, is eye opening.

JMan is right re the spin increase with the RTI-W115-Ss. The numbers I've reported for a while now was from my initial player testing with 3 of Shenandoah U's golf team. We tested quite a few of my original "spinner" designs which "the winner spinner"....Geez I had to say that eh...realized those kinda numbers when we tested against the Rifle and TT "spinners". The spin increase is definitely there but also def decreases as the weight goes up. Guess I need to tame that claim down eh? ;)

What JMan didn't report was the angle of decent. What we found time n time again was the decent angle was definitely steeper than all the steel shafts for a majority of the different golfers whom we worked with. SO.....hmmm...if the spin is increased and the angle down is steeper...that combo just might help someone maybe check up a little white orb on that green area - something they've never been able to do before...

A special call-out to Popeye for all his help especially with the 115 gm version!!

One more note which really exemplifies this industry's BS innuendos and out-right fabrications... the original "spinner" shafts were nothing more than a std steel shaft tipped to a #8 iron's parallel. Now if a shaft has a longer parallel doesn't it stand to reason that shaft just might have a bit more spin?? And those claims and false technology resulted in folks paying more money for a spinner (smart fitters/clubmakers knew this and made their own!). Now that this new co we're building (more on that later) I'm going to blow away some more industry BS...for ex how much my Phoenix 6 TS and S ($135) designs' stiffness distribution are practically Identical to Fuji's new Fuji Ventas Blue Velocore 6... Stay tuned folks

Robin

Back