World Handicap System Question

OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
I've seen a couple of recent instances where my posted scores have been adjusted via Playing Conditions Calculation (PCC), when I really couldn't figure out how any adjustments were justified. I've looked around a bit on this, and have found the official answer on how PCC works, but still can't see how on one occasion they applied a +1 and another where it was a -1, when both days were absolutely ideal golfing conditions. I'm talking perfect afternoon summer golf, temperatures that you pray for this time of year, clear and dry, no unusual course conditions or setup, just great days to play golf. Neither occasion had any real impact on my index, I'm just curious on why they would make adjustments when none were warranted.

As I read it, it's about scores turned in, not necessarily about weather conditions (although that can drive scores if it is significant).
Yeah, I saw that too, in fact here's the Q&A on it from the USGA site:

Q. What is the playing conditions calculation (PCC) and how does it work?​
A. At the end of each day, the playing conditions calculation takes place automatically to determine if scores made at the course were significantly higher or lower than the expected scores of the players who made them, primarily due to weather and/or course set up.

The other times I've seen this it was absolutely understandable, very high winds, very wet course, etc. These last two times just seemed like an adjustment was completely unnecessary, unless maybe on the -1 day a bunch of sandbaggers were turning in really high scores or something. 🤷‍♂️

GHIN has no information about wind, weather, course setup or anything else. It is just looking at average net scores turned in before midnight that day. If enough people sandbag or vanity ‘cap the PCC will reflect those skewed handicap differentials.

Maybe it's because the person who cut the holes woke up on different sides of the bed those day. One they were in a good mood and placed easy pins. The other they were pissed off and had a bunch of hard pins.

As I read it, it's about scores turned in, not necessarily about weather conditions (although that can drive scores if it is significant).
That's what I understood as well.

In 56 rounds this year, I've had 4 PCC adjustments. In 141 rounds last year, I had 1. I really don't see it happening enough, certainly not frequently enough, to have a major impact on handicap.

GHIN has no information about wind, weather, course setup or anything else. It is just looking at average net scores turned in before midnight that day. If enough people sandbag or vanity ‘cap the PCC will reflect those skewed handicap differentials.
^ This is it. There has to be at least 8 scores posted from the course you played, by players with a handicap of 36.0 or below, and if there's a significant variance from what it considers usual differentials it triggers the PCC adjustment. It's explained in more detail in Rule 5.6 on the USGA website.

how does it work your handicap was `x `under the old system and is now `y` under the new system and did you factor playing condtions under the old system
PCC adjustments were not part of the old handicap system, it's something that was introduced in the transition to WHS. It's not something you factor or have any control over, it's done automatically if/when conditions are met that trigger it, as above.

Back