** Workout Program Needed...

Bennett

Reaction score
Handicap
+2.5
I understand that workouts are specifically designed for individuals that go through an initial evaluation but if there are any fitness trainers on here, I am in need of a workout regimen. With all the expenses that go into traveling for golf i am unable to afford the one on one time with a fitness coach as well as my swing coach.

Just a brief background, I play on some of the mini tours as well as Monday qualifiers for Nationwide Tournys. I am 6'1 195lbs and very athletic.

What I'm looking for is a 3 - 4 times a week workout that focuses on the core, (obviously) strengthening my swing, flexibility and balance.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand that workouts are specifically designed for individuals that go through an initial evaluation but if there are any fitness trainers on here, I am in need of a workout regimen. With all the expenses that go into traveling for golf i am unable to afford the one on one time with a fitness coach as well as my swing coach.

Just a brief background, I play on some of the mini tours as well as Monday qualifiers for Nationwide Tournys. I am 6'1 195lbs and very athletic.

What I'm looking for is a 3 - 4 times a week workout that focuses on the core, (obviously) strengthening my swing, flexibility and balance.

Have you tried P90X?

Have you tried P90X?

Ditto, I am no workout buff and some other people on here probably know way more than I do... however, I have used the P90X DVDs and followed my own little program using their DVDs on Core, Yoga, Streching, Plyometrics and Cardio. The best workouts by far for my flexibility were the ones with yoga/strectching and core. These aren't geared toward golf but they will really develop your core strength and flexibility. Each workout is between 50 mins and 1.5 hours. These are great workouts and were invaluable for me since I don't have a lot of money.

Not really, ive seen it. Im looking for more of golf specific exercises I guess but if you say the yoga, stretching and Plyos are good, its worth a shot

I would check out P90X or Crossfit. Both have great core workouts and focus on the whole body.

P90x - or Insanity - or go get a few kettlebells and some training dvds. Otherwise Mens Health just published a substantial book filled with 15 minute workouts that are very effective.

I am not sure if it will fit your budget, but I am a big believer in Crossfit. It can be done at home through the main website, but I think going to a Crossfit gym gets the best results. The gyms have a real team atmosphere and it will have you really pushing yourself.

Also the workouts will really hit the areas you mention. Every workout works the core at some point and I increased my flexibility a lot after about two weeks.

Their website, www.crossfit.com, will have a list of affiliate gyms in your area.

Good luck in whatever you end up doing!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the Titleist web page that provides video's of suggested golf-specific exercises? I have and they are dead-on, and also some that you can do while on-the-road with only a few accessories.
I think you'll be pleased.

2841171_f496.jpg

I've considered investing into the Titleist Performance Institute (TPI) program. It appears to be very highly reguarded and widely used. I'm a little of a freak in that i have a very flexible upper back, can turn past 90 almost to 110*, but a tight lower back. My hamstrings are drum top tight as well. I've really considered getting very serious with my game and i think getting my body in fit "golf shape" will go along way to my game improvement. I'm going to look into some of the yoga options that have been discussed for better all over flexiblity.

Also has anyone done anything with TPI?

I had a really interesting session during the last week of December with a personal fitness trainer who was certified with the Titleist Performance Institute [ www.mytpi.com ].

He did a thorough evaluation of my posture, flexibility and range of motion in a number of areas relevant to a golf swing and then gave me a personalized plan with exercises designed to address my areas of weakness. In my case, he said my main limitation is in that I have range of motion limits which keep me from really turning my hips independently of my shoulders.

I definitely recommend this if there is a TPI-certified person in your area. Hopefully it will help me swing more consistently and with more power when the season starts back up here in CT.

Hope this helps!

Ken

I'm in the same boat as you...sort of.

I get together with my swing coach once a week just so he can keep tabs on me... but as far as working out my work out plan consists of circuit training every other day. I was hitting the gym every day but I decided to let up. I'm not a personal trainer so I will refrain from specifics. As a fellow professional and Mini-Tour player here is what I do each gym session...

1. Stretching - arms, legs etc.
2. Core work - Russian twists and while using the medicine ball I practice my turn while holding positions at the top
3. Cardio - Bike and/or Ellipitical 45 minutes of cardio
4. Circuit Training - 3 sets of Leg Extensions. Seated Chest Press, Leg Curls, Seated Row, Back Extension, Abdominals, Curls, Pulldowns (Triceps/Forearms)
5. Soak in whirlpool

Then off to dome for 30 minutes to 3 hours to work.

Alex

Lot's of good suggestions here.

I'm going to toss out picking up a copy of "Fix Your Body, Fix Your Swing" by Joey Diovisalvi & Steve Steinberg. Diovisalvi is a PGA Tour strength & conditioning coach and the book has several programs that are based around strengthening your body's weak points.

Good pictures of all the excersises and a 6 day plan based around a full body assessment. It's the same program he uses with his tour pros.

I've had my trainer incorporate much of this into my sessions and my golf instructor likes the book too

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sir want the TRX suspension training system. With as much as you travel it is the perfect tool. They even have a golf workout with it. It is based solely on body weight and core strength. Please look it up. I am a certified with the TRX. More than half of my workouts are done with it. It goes anywhere. I take it with me on all vacations and even took it with me on my honeymoon. Please if you have any questions let me know.

I'd agree with some guys and look at P90X. But if you're looking into something more golf related look at TPI, either through their website or youtube. They have a lot of great info.

I would spend the money to get a program set up specifically for you and designed to help you with your golf game. You can probably get one to evaluate you and set up a 2-3 week schedule with exercises that show you how to do properly in one session, and do follow up sessions to create the proper progressions. If you have a buddy in the same situation you may be able to split a training session with them to reduce the cost. Seems anymore more of the good golfers consider that as much of their process as having a swing coach. To begin a proper workout program that will keep you from getting injured or creating poor motor patterns or muscle recruitment you have to know what your strength and weaknesses are and a good workout progression to take care of them. Also help impacting your practice and tournaments with delayed onset soreness and be designed around if you are in season or off season. You can jump in and do a bunch of exercise to address core strength and stability from several websites including TPI, but you may not be doing the right things to improve your weaknesses or if you are doing them correctly to get the right benefit. Think of it as trying to learn to play golf with or without lessons. Always better to get someone that knows what they are doing to address poor mechanics to keep from having to unlearn and correct something later. P90x is a weight loss protocal for the most part, and works well for that and you will probably get stronger overall. But given the volume in those workouts along with your golf activities you could end up hurt, especially if your form is off.

Crossfit. When I was serious with it last year, I could almost do all the WOD's as Rx'ed with the exception of the heavy lifts as i'm a skinny dude. Get yourself a pullup bar, some kettlebells and a jumprope and you are good to go. All the stuff you will need to get started and fit.

My garage is outfitted with a mini gym with a 8ft section of pullup bars, cage, nice bar and bumper plates, 3 different kettlebells, dumbbells from 5 - 75 lbs, 25 ft climbing rope in backyard tree, 2 speed ropes, abmat, rubber flooring, 2 kegs, 4 med balls...

I also think that yoga is a Fantastic golf workout. I played a lot last year and had a lot of range time, 6x a week at least from May-Aug and I stopped going to yoga for the first 2 months and my back and hammy were killing me. Started going back to yoga and felt worlds better. Helps everything related to golf; back, neck, arms, shoulders, overall flexibility, concentration, breathing, etc.

I have a slightly used Insanity dvd set I could part with for cheap to help you out

I got the green light to start exercising a couple of moths ago after a spinal fusion surgery in May. I was still limited to the elliptical and resistance bands so I did some research and ordered a set of Bodylastics bands that come with everything anybody needs to get a gym quality workout. I've played sports and worked out my whole life and won't hesitate to say these are the real deal. There's a golf specific workout included in the book that comes with them that I've been doing the last 6 weeks or so and the results so far are pretty great. I can go up to 260 lbs. on them if I'm feeling like OEM's avatar and they pack up in a small bag with door stops and leg straps included. I use that and a physio ball and I'm good to go. Here's a link if anybody's interested................
http://www.bodylastics.com/

Back