Working on not overcomplicating my game

robmypro

Reaction score
Yeah, golf is hard. But I think I have a tendency to make it harder on myself than I need to. Case in point. I have not played regularly for about 2 years. And that was after a pretty long layoff. Two years ago I had so many thoughts in my mind regarding swinging the clubs. Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. I go out to the range with my nephew and use his clubs, hit the entire bag, and everything was just so easy. Why? Why did not playing for two years suddenly make my ball striking better? Maybe I just forgot the bulk of the swing thoughts that were clouding my mind? I don't know for sure, but I went out about a week ago and did even better, with my own clubs.

I don't think I have a great swing (or even good). But I think golf is about being consistent, and one major change I made was being consistent with the process. For example...

1. I tee the ball up, then stand back and make sure my aim is right. Surprised how many times I thought I was aiming correctly but was way off.
2. Get my grip right. Hold the club at my side in my left hand, then lift it up and grip my right hand.
3. Make sure the ball is just inside my left heel, regardless of club.
4. Check my stance.
5. Keep my eyes on the ball. And for me that means looking at a specific spot on the ball. I don't stop looking at the ball until it is gone.

The great thing about these things is they are 100% mechanical. No timing. No rhythm. I can do this every time correctly. At this point my only swing thoughts are keep my head still and let her rip. For me this just simplified things. I think being consistent starts with being consistent in prep and routine. I think the layoff did me a lot of good. I did see that I was pulling the ball consistently left so I just moved my back foot back to support a more inside out path. Worked like magic.

This round in my journey with golf I am not going to watch hours and hours of YouTube golf tips, or get a bunch of books. I am going to keep this simple.

My long time swing instructor preached the "kiss" golf method to all his students when playing for a score

His practices could get a little intense, but once on the course, it was have fun, and just swing the club head.

A good preshot routine helps immensely. Its the starting pont of all golf shots. It gets the mind, and body ready to just swing the club head. I also practice my preshot routine.

My preshot routine starts with seeing what's in front of me. I'm looking for the safest place, away from trouble, to land the ball. Pin location is secondary to staying out of trouble.

From there its club selection, which also depends on the lie of the ball, and perhaps for the yardage needed. I say "perhaps" because sometimes max distance is not needed, or can be achieved. .

Next, standing behind my ball, is my ball alignment (aim) to my landing area, which also includes an intermediate target on the same line, 2 - 3 feet in front of the ball.

I then walk up to the ball with the club in my left hand, placing the club face square to my intermediate target.

I then step into my stance, check my body alignment to the club face, put my right hand on the club, pause, and then start my swing. As always, some shots are better than others.

My preshot routine sounds like a lot, , but in reality,
it only takes a few seconds from the start, to the ball strike. Do I use a this oreshot routine all the time? Not really. Only when the scire is of some importance. A lot of times I just hit the ball, go find it, and hit it again.

I do have a pre shot routine. Maybe not as much as others. I stand behind the ball and use the shaft to line up the ball with the target wherever that may be. I like to pick a spot a few feet in front of the ball to hit over. It seems to help keep it in line. Then check the grip. Take a couple practice swings making sure I'm clipping the grass. Get into the stance and proceed to swing. I don't like to spend too much time over the ball when I'm ready. As soon as my feet are settled I usually start the swing.

I love the KISS method. I used to have note cards and jot things down pre & post rounds. Try them at the range or in the backyard. The only thing it every got me was a head full of crap. Like you said, there are some mechanical keys; grip, posture, alignment. And some swing thoughts; turn more, less backswing, even tempo and let it rip.
It's more fun that way...

Don’t overthink. I see that in my students and people I play with. I can tell the difference in a shot on the course where they just hit it and ones they overthought about. Also don’t over practice. You don’t have to hit every ball in the bucket.

Thanks guys. I think the KISS method combined with consistent shot prep goes a long way towards being consistent. Previously i would walk up to the ball and have all sorts of things i am testing and working on. This just stunts progress imo. And Typhoon you are right about not hitting every ball in the bucket. I go to the range now with a specific goal. When i have done what i need to do it is time to move on. Currently i am focused on consistent prep and solid ball striking, and going through the clubs in my bag to establish distances i can hit each. I also have my short game to work on, so i can’t live at the range. I really went down the rabbit hole the last time. This time it’s spend a few minutes on the basics and let her rip.

We’ll see how it works out!

Back