What to work on in 2012?

tjgus25

Reaction score
I kept track of stats for most of my rounds in 2011 and i wanted to see what areas you guys thing i need to work on and which is most important. I know my short game needs help as my scrambling is on 35%. but here are my stats let me know what you think

Low Round of year:68
High Round of Year: 83
Average: 71.8

FIR 50.3% Miss left 26.4% miss right 23.3%
GIR 67.8%
Putts per Hole 1.71
3-8 feet: 85.1%
9-15 feet: 21.4%
16+ feet: 9.4%

Let me know what you think, Ive got an idea of where i wanna be but wanted to know what some others thought. Thanks

Putting and shortgame. That is where it is at for most of us.

I know what I think. I think I want your game!
What I do see is the scrambling stat. You bring that up, and you're tough to beat in any competition dude.
What did you use to keep the stats, its very nice to see that much detail.

This are some great numbers!

Based on the stats my coach has given me to shoot for, I would say you need to work on hitting more fairways which will bring you GIR stats up too. Looks like you're already an excellent short game player but of course that takes tons of practice year round. I would love to have stats like yours!

Right now I'm focusing on owning my swing. I work incessantly on my short game. But I don't spend a lot of time on stats. Intuitively I know what I need to do first and foremost: hit more fairways. My short game is pretty solid.

I used golflogix to track my stats i dont even use it for the gps because i have a bushnell but i keep track of all my stats with the golflogix app on my iphone.
Pretty much you guys are telling me what i thought need to work on short game and fairways hit. Which i know my scrambling number is alittle lower then it really is because "scrambling" is % of time you save par when not hitting GIR which includes holes where i hit a ball in hazard or mess up need to punch out or soemthing.
Ideally i want to hit atleast 60% of fairways and try to eliminate one side of the course better but i like to work the ball with cut's and draws so that is why my misses are left and right.
70% of GIR
Scrambling around 60%.

What was funny about me tracking stats better last season i used to think putting was killing me but in fact i wasnt hitting it close enough to the hole to make putts. I was leaving myself 10-15 footers or more then 15 feet and missing where if i would leave my chips inside 5-8 feet i could make the putts 64% more often which blew my mind!!!!!! so when courses open here in PA im goin to work on 100 yards and in and then driver.

Thanks guys for the input!

I enjoyed this thread tjgus, I may look into getting the golflogix app myself, that is a lot of info you are tracking. Good luck.

love seeing the putting distance breakdowns

Some impressive stats. I would look at improving your fairways hit. increasing that by 1 or 2 fairways a round could improve your GIR's. Ahort game and putting are always going to give you a stroke or two per round.
I too keep stats and looking at your putting stats, (not truly comparing apples to apples) but the 2001 PGA Tour average for 10-15's is 28.6 % so if you can hit a few more of those....

Yea and with Golflogix you can set the distances you want the have tap-in, short, medium, and long. I just set mine up that way and you can set it up however even 0-5 tap in 6-12 short 13-20 medium and 20+ as long if you are a really good putter.

Yea I think that tracking stats is a really good way to see your true flaws. lots of people say one thing is wrong like i thought putting was bad but in actuality my putting wasnt near as bad as my short game leaving me with longer putts.

Which i know my scrambling number is alittle lower then it really is because "scrambling" is % of time you save par when not hitting GIR which includes holes where i hit a ball in hazard or mess up need to punch out or soemthing.

Yes, and I don't like scrambling because of just that. I measure it differently: any time I have a chip, pitch or bunkershot where my objective is to get it up & down. Sometimes it's for saving a bogey, sometimes I'm close in two on a par 5.

I'm of course reading things into your numbers but it seems you have a two-way miss off the tee? Sometimes left, sometimes right. I'd try to work in a stock shot off the tee (mine is straight, or a fade). Maybe that would increase your FW%...or maybe something as simple as making better choices off the tee (not using driver all the time). But this is just speculation based on numbers. Maybe you don't miss it by much and then the difference is negligible.

As usual...short game and putting inside 15 feet is where the money is made.

Back