What Golf Stuff Helped You The Most (starting out)?

collegefbfan

Reaction score
I am getting lessons. Finally found a good instructor. I have a golf net in the backyard. I am just curious is there anything that help me with me becoming more comfortable and familiar with the swing, all parts of the swing, etc.? I am not really talking about swing aids that I have to have hanging off my body. And some will say that no aids will help you that much. But what about alignment sticks especially the ones that are easy to place in the ground at an angle? Any other stuff? I know the answer might be, "Nope, just practice what your instructor said to". And I am fine with that. Just making sure I wasn't missing anything.

Oh, I meant to ask what is the stuff a lot of folks use to show ball impact location on club face? Foot powder or foot spray or something like that.

Oh, I meant to ask what is the stuff a lot of folks use to show ball impact location on club face? Foot powder or foot spray or something like that.
I’ve used foot powder (spray) before. Quick and easy feedback.

When I was explained general ball flight laws, self diagnosing issues quickly became easier.

When I was explained general ball flight laws, self diagnosing issues quickly became easier.
Wow. Never heard that one.

Only ever used aiming sticks (aka driveway markers) and that’s not much. Learning what feels worked for me with an instructor have been the best practice tools.

Wow. Never heard that one.
The direction the ball starts is where the face was pointing at impact. That's the big one. The shape is then a blend of face angle and swing path.

I sometimes use two metal yard sticks for alignment aids. I use these because the numbers help feet, and ball positions.

One I use for my feet/ball positions. The other I place further down my aim line as an intermediate target to square my club face to.

A guy I know uses two 3' foot lengths of 1/2 inch pvc pipe for alignment aids. He switched to the pipe because he kept forgettin to pick up the smaller diameter rods. What ever works.

I Also like to spend some time on practicing longer pitch shots. My swing I use with these longer pitches, are just a shorter version of my full swing. These are good warm swings also.

2 hula hoops and 12 firm plastic golf whiffle balls for backyard practice have done more for my short game than anything else I have tried. Cost is less than $20.
I try to use them every day, weather permitting. I place them about 15 steps apart, which is the max distance I have in my fenced in area. I practice various ball flights with my wedges, low, mid and high.
Can't be finished until all 12 are in the hoops, might take 30 min., might take 2 hours...

Alignment rods 100% best thing for anyone IMO. If you don’t understand where you are setup and aiming to, nothing else will matter.

2 hula hoops and 12 firm plastic golf whiffle balls for backyard practice have done more for my short game than anything else I have tried. Cost is less than $20.
I try to use them every day, weather permitting. I place them about 15 steps apart, which is the max distance I have in my fenced in area. I practice various ball flights with my wedges, low, mid and high.
Can't be finished until all 12 are in the hoops, might take 30 min., might take 2 hours...
My instructor wants me to do something similar to this. He said to place a five gallon bucket in the backyard and see how close you can get to hit hitting small pitch shots. My backyard isn't that big. Maybe 30 yards at most diagonally. I don't want to have that ONE shot where I swing a little harder than easy and connect on the sweet spot (that rarely happens lol), and it ends up in the neighbors yard, towards a car, a house window, or worse. I like the hula hoop idea. The only thing about not using regular golf balls is the flight of foam balls or whiffle balls if it is breezy. Thanks for the idea.

Back