What clubs play between GI and Pro irons?

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Been looking and different irons for the fun of it and was wondering what irons are best between Pro and GI irons? Would that be player irons or what? I am somewhat ignorant about the progression through irons. I do understand when you get toward the pro end of the spectrum the irons become less forgiving, but would like to know more.

I think it would be what's normally classified as "player's distance" irons. Yeah they're longer but they're also packed with impressive forgiveness characteristics relative to size.

Well there's no universal 'Pro' really to begin with. There's a bunch of hollows just below GI in a sense. Some lean more GI some more players distance. And Apex and Rogue Pro are hollow now and pretty forgiving, so I don't know how pro they really are. The categories are all wonderfully jumbled now with the different needs met by different shapes, styles, and designs. Which is great, because it helps get away from mostly wrong assumptions from basic categories.

Players Distance

"Pro" is a general term. Those guys use a variety. Players distance is how its usually categorized. Players irons often fall in this category as well.

Are you classifying blades as “Pro” irons? Like @OldandStiff said, there are different subcategories within the “Players” category and things are jumbled and separated and overall just really muddy. But sometimes characteristics can help identify trends and how it might play. Not always, just sometimes. So muddy.

You could also consider sets that either are designed to combo, like the Apex and Mizuno lines, or sets that can be progressive in nature such as I believe the Taylormade P790s or Wilson’s that have ’speed slots’ in the longer irons but not in the shorter for more precision. Those could be considered sitting in that in between space.

Back