Wedge game is bad

Yea I hear you. One game I was really good with my wedges from 50-110 yards. Always pin high. But pull all my full wedges from 100-130 yards.
Next day different story I could hit full wedges from 100-130 with precision close to the pin and had no idea how to hit my partial wedge from 50-100 yards All short and right.

Play some par 3 courses~!

Get wedges with more bounce....?

Get that right hand dumping the club early and get that bounce to work...

Maybe that could help...?

Once I learned where the shaft needed to be on backswing and through I really cleaned up my wedge game.

P2 - I want my shaft to be parallel to the ground and lined up with the toe of my back foot.
P8 - I want the shaft to be parallel to the ground and lined up with my heel of my lead foot.

So I did a lot of swings just going parallel to parallel and I was finding that I was hanging on my right side and getting inconsistent contact. Getting the feel of getting through the shot was something I needed.

Of course I spent a lot of time looking at video and looking at the contact on my wedges to see results. It is work.

My 3/4 swing is my full swing.
I go to a 1/2 swing with just more flip wedge than a hinge wedge. 50-110 yards I go from
GW to 9I
One thing that works for me is during setup I hold the club up at waist height if I don’t want full compression
If I hold the club higher at head height with my right hand means I want full compression on the ball

Last edited:
At one time not too long ago I would have considered my wedge game a strength. Not anymore. I don’t know what happened but man, I am not comfortable with a wedge anymore. I don’t know if it is the wedges themselves or my swing (probably the swing) but from 100 yards in and around the green I just feel like I have no clue what I am doing..
Stop thinking so much, just hit the ball.

I feel you on the wedge game, I've been having a horrible tendency to have a 1 in 5 shank with the wedges lately. And not knowing which 1 of the 5 it's going to be is worse...

Around the green and out to about 50 yards, I feel like a competent golfer. But the closer I get to the full swing, the less confident I become.

I was at one point ok with gripping down and shortening the swing to hit those 70 yard shots and all the way up to my partial 9i swing that would yield 125 yard shot. My percentage of greens hit was freakishly high for a couple years - as in people would call BS on my shot tracking numbers.

Not sure what happened but I’ve since lost that skill to the point where statistic-wise, little changes from 150 yards to 75 yards. I changed my grip from 10 finger to interlocking and clubs from steel shaft to graphite. I really do miss that ability.

Something tells me "bad" is relative

Get wedges with more bounce....?

Get that right hand dumping the club early and get that bounce to work...

Maybe that could help...?
Ooh, not that one. There’s a difference between hanging onto the angle too long and the issues that come from that, and then there’s the bold part. Both are bad. It’s tough to be consistent when an already timing based action now throws in a timing based throw of the club.

Ooh, not that one. There’s a difference between hanging onto the angle too long and the issues that come from that, and then there’s the bold part. Both are bad. It’s tough to be consistent when an already timing based action now throws in a timing based throw of the club.
You said it best…. Timing…. Which requires some practice.

Hitting pitches with just the right hand on the club helps illustrate what I’m referring to.

But the closer I get to the full swing, the less confident I become.
I’m just the opposite. Full swing wedge shot? I’m fine with that. It’s those touch shots around the green that tighten the sphincter. Blade/chunk - I got that. I spent an hour at the chipping green yesterday and felt good. Funny thing - my first chip went in from about 30 yards. Most shots ended up with makable putts, although quite a few outside of 10’. Playing a tough course today, so, I’ll see if the work paid off.

I’m just the opposite. Full swing wedge shot? I’m fine with that. It’s those touch shots around the green that tighten the sphincter. Blade/chunk - I got that. I spent an hour at the chipping green yesterday and felt good. Funny thing - my first chip went in from about 30 yards. Most shots ended up with makable putts, although quite a few outside of 10’. Playing a tough course today, so, I’ll see if the work paid off.
You’re more typical of most golfers it seems. My full swing mechanics are not very good but my feel for hitting a green are not as bad. It’s all relative of course. I’m a 22 cap so as good as I feel about the best part of my game, it’s likely worse than what others feel is their weakness.

You said it best…. Timing…. Which requires some practice.

Hitting pitches with just the right hand on the club helps illustrate what I’m referring to.
I love that drill, I don’t really associate it with throwing it a bit? To me it’s more just rhythm and letting the club do the work, but I guess it’s also a different drill and feel for everybody.

I love that drill, I don’t really associate it with throwing it a bit? To me it’s more just rhythm and letting the club do the work, but I guess it’s also a different drill and feel for everybody.
Perhaps my dump the club terminology is a bit too severe sounding.

To pull of that right hand only drill you have to let the club head catch up (“dump”) to get the bounce working for you.

Btw, I believe Roger Cleveland used the dump the club terminology in an old THP video…?

Perhaps my dump the club terminology is a bit too severe sounding.

To pull of that right hand only drill you have to let the club head catch up (“dump”) to get the bounce working for you.

Btw, I believe Roger Cleveland used the dump the club terminology in an old THP video…?
It might be. To me, dumping it is basically getting too in front of it and you’re throwing your hand at it to try and save it in some way.

Naturally releasing in connection with your turn is probably more in line with what you’re saying in a way that clicks for me.

Aka… this is a stupid game, you guys.

Having a stock ball first wedge shot and a stock turf first wedge shot and being able to identify when to use them is something I wish I had been taught sooner in my journey. The standard "mute your wrists and hit the ball first its the only way" mentality is too commonly pushed, led to me fearing turf interaction, and not understanding how to properly use a wedge.

Well, my wedge practice worked. On a difficult course, I had several tough wedge shots, most over bunkers and a few short sided. Never once left the ball in a bunker and had a couple that were just about perfectly placed, dropped just over the bunker - probably closer calls than I intended.

Unfortunately, the rest my game was off and led to a 93. Golf.

Well, my wedge practice worked. On a difficult course, I had several tough wedge shots, most over bunkers and a few short sided. Never once left the ball in a bunker and had a couple that were just about perfectly placed, dropped just over the bunker - probably closer calls than I intended.

Unfortunately, the rest my game was off and led to a 93. Golf.
Wait a minute… are you saying you worked on a weakness and then experienced a positive change? Weird. :ROFLMAO:

“The more I practice, the luckier I get”
Unfortunately, with the full swing it’s more a case of the less I practice the more bad luck I have.

Glad you figured some stuff out @Triple Lindy.

Back