Waterproof Summer Jacket?

cnl390

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Looking for a moderately priced waterproof jacket for golf in South Texas. Any suggestions? Thanks

I have found that a "rain" jacket without a Gore-Tex lining isn't really water proof. However, GTX gear can be on the expensive side, though you might be able to find a deal if you do some surfing. The jacket doesn't need to be golf specific either. For example, I picked up a GTX jacket at REI's Outlet for $49 that'll be perfect for wet, summer days on the golf course. A jacket like this usually sells in the $200+ range.

Columbia makes some excellent lightweight rain jackets cut well for golf at a good price. Make sure its Omni-Tech (their version of Gote-tex).
No matter what jacket you get, spray it with Scotch waterproof or Camp Dry to avoid what they call "wet out" , where the outer shell gets saturated and you feel wet anyhow.
I keep a couple sets of Columbia packable rain gear on the boat for guests and myself that have seen us through some Great Lakes monsoons with the fish snapping so we didn't want to go in.

Bought some Walter Hagin Convertibles many years ago at Dicks. Full cover, Partial cover, and Vest. They still protect me, are fairly light, and Zippers on all parts still work.

A jacket...in summer?

Columbia makes some excellent lightweight rain jackets cut well for golf at a good price. Make sure its Omni-Tech (their version of Gote-tex).
No matter what jacket you get, spray it with Scotch waterproof or Camp Dry to avoid what they call "wet out" , where the outer shell gets saturated and you feel wet anyhow.
I keep a couple sets of Columbia packable rain gear on the boat for guests and myself that have seen us through some Great Lakes monsoons with the fish snapping so we didn't want to go in.
This is my go to outer shell when I do not need warmth just rain proof. Bought it for an Alaskan cruise and have used it for golf. It will be my only outer jacket on my Ireland trip this week and my Myrtle golf trip following that.

I carry a sun mountain monsoon jacket when rain is possible.

Adidas Provisional is a nice light weight inexpensive rain jacket (and pants).

Back