Using a heavier putter on slow greens

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
Play a round yesterday on some slow greens, I think their stimp rating said 6 or so on the sign.

I seem to have a hard time getting the ball to the hole, my brain is programmed for faster greens it feels like lol...

Some discussions online are 50/50 on the idea of a heavier putter, some saying yes heavier is good on slow greens for getting the ball moving a bit easier, then some saying the heavier putter stabilizes the shorter stroke used on fast greens...

Chime in guys, I'm tempted to buy a mallet of some type before I play today!

Cheers

Some people like to vary their putter based on conditions- but I have never been one of those people.

I would rather have one putter that I know very well and adjust my stroke/power for each condition vs learning the swing weight of a new putter everytime I play.
I usually play with a mallet putter, but it has more to do with the aliment aid than it does weight.

well come to thp homerun79, good to have another bc boy in the mix. I'm with RxGus about using the same putter no matter the green speed and simply adjusting your weight. However as with most things in golf, to each his own.

thanks for the welcome coolbreeze, nice to meet you too! I was in Victoria for a visit a few months ago and I went to the Highland driving range, what a facililty! Have you been there? I heard they opened up more holes there, seemed like the course conditions were flawless when I looked from the putting green.

As for putting, I agree I don't want to have 2 game putters, what do you guys think of picking a target 20% past your actual target to compensate for the slower green? I guess it's mostly a mental thing, I focus on my target and let muscle memory do the rest, and I came up 20% short on half my putts yesterday...

Any other techniques for overcoming the slow greens?

thanks for the welcome coolbreeze, nice to meet you too! I was in Victoria for a visit a few months ago and I went to the Highland driving range, what a facililty! Have you been there? I heard they opened up more holes there, seemed like the course conditions were flawless when I looked from the putting green.

As for putting, I agree I don't want to have 2 game putters, what do you guys think of picking a target 20% past your actual target to compensate for the slower green? I guess it's mostly a mental thing, I focus on my target and let muscle memory do the rest, and I came up 20% short on half my putts yesterday...

Any other techniques for overcoming the slow greens?

That's exactly how I do it! Aim further or aim closer on my visual line.

Welcome to THP HR79. I went through a very similar delima between last fall, this spring and summer. The seasonal changes are bad enough, but I was playing a lot of different courses in different states and some were slow as sand, while others were 10 or higher stimp. I started out changing putter weights thinking that was the fix, then went to a mallet (which is about to go on sale), finally I have gone to a mid weight putter that just fits right and I adjust my stroke for the speed.

Technigue in putting is such a personal thing that it's very difficult to suggest how someone else SHOULD do something, but what works for me is simple muscle memory. I spend a short time on the practice green to develope the feel on uphill, downhill and then flat putts and then simply go play. The only other thing that helps me is to pay close attention to the distance I am practicing and the distance I have to use on my backswing with the putter. If I have to pull the putter this far back to push the ball all the way to the hole against the grain, or this far with the grain, it tells me how much I need during the round. But this may not work for you? Hope it helps.

I only have and want 1 putter. I just adjust the power of my stroke, because unfortuanately play courses with different speeds all the time.

I have around 5 putters that I put in play. It just depends for me. Mostly use the ghost :act-up:lately. It works good for the hinge putting I use. I'd bet a tin of porch meat that my scores are the same no matter which putters I use.

I prefer a heavy putter to begin with. Kind of naturally let the weight swing like a pendulem. But I dont want it sooooo heavy that it effects the short putts. I don't nescessarily see a benefit to heavy putters on slow greens, more like its tougher to use heavy putters on fast greens.

I have a Ping Craz-e putter that I added weight to and found about 8 to 10 grams of weight worked well with the putter but anything more then that tempo on short putts was a problem. I now stick to one putter (Cleveland Classic milled face One) and use it all times of the year.

The new putter I am having made right now will be a face balanced 360g with a flowneck and roll grooves. I have to wonder how this will perform on different speed greens since I'm used to a very soft insert.

I use two putters. The one I use in the spring and fall when the greens are slower is lighter but does have firm insert. My gamer a Tour hot # 5 I use most of year on faster greens is heavier but a little softer insert... love that thing !
L57

I pretty much use two putters.Both are 350g or so_One is stainless the other carbon steel.Usually just use the carbon steel one . Because it's finished in black ozide when that one will be staying wet I use the stainless one.I just adjust my stroke to the speed of the greens.

I prefer to stay with one putter, i think if i wen tot a lighter on slower greens my crappy stroke would suffer :D

i think the new groove tech can play a part too. i usually bring 2 or 3 putters with me to the course. 1 insert, 1 milled face, and 1 grooved face. on very well maintained greens, i like the grooved face for the true roll. on bad greens i like the non insert face, or the insert face depending on the length of the grass. i find that when the greens are long and bad, i need the insert feedback for lag putts.

i think the new groove tech can play a part too. i usually bring 2 or 3 putters with me to the course. 1 insert, 1 milled face, and 1 grooved face. on very well maintained greens, i like the grooved face for the true roll. on bad greens i like the non insert face, or the insert face depending on the length of the grass. i find that when the greens are long and bad, i need the insert feedback for lag putts.

Thats pretty good info hh, I'll have to do some experimenting with this, thanks.

And, Welcome to THP!

I know ppl that use a heavy putter on slow greens. I just use the same putter and adjust my stroke. I usually grove a 3,6,10,14 stroke when on the practice green and hope that it's the same on the course.

Thats pretty good info hh, I'll have to do some experimenting with this, thanks.

And, Welcome to THP!

thanks for the welcome !!!
i hope the info helps you.

One putter only. It really does not matter what I have to deal with from the prespective of the greens themselves as long as I can spend a little time on the practice green at the particular course that I am playing that day. I may get into a little trouble putting if my reads go awry, but my stroke is something that works pretty well for me. Luck I am sure.

thanks for the welcome !!!
i hope the info helps you.

HH not to threadjack but is that your Machine in your avatar? I have an Aluminum Bronze one just like it ready to be shafted!

HH not to threadjack but is that your Machine in your avatar? I have an Aluminum Bronze one just like it ready to be shafted!

no.....mine will be almost exactly the same, but with a satin finish. im hoping i will have it within a couple weeks.

Back