Using a Driver with a 1deg open face and how to setup to it!

homerun79

Reaction score
Handicap
I just bought my buddies Titleist 909D3 and I understand it is 1 degree open, what is the typical way a player aligns it to the ball? Im used to lining the face up square to my target, but it's a little more awkward with this open face...Do people line it up 1 degree open then compensate somehow to square it up at impact? Thanks!

Wouldn't it be 1 degree open at impact? Is that not the point of the open face?

Wouldn't it be 1 degree open at impact? Is that not the point of the open face?

The point of the 1* open face is that better players sometimes tend to release really hard into the ball and because of this fear a hook, I think the 1* open face is just meant to minimize big hooks, and lead to nice draws for them.

The point of the 1* open face is that better players sometimes tend to release really hard into the ball and because of this fear a hook, I think the 1* open face is just meant to minimize big hooks, and lead to nice draws for them.

CB has it right!

Right. My point being with the OP question, would you not address it as the driver sits, at 1 degree open? If not, what is the point of the open face. I want to start and have the face return to the same point at impact.

Right. My point being with the OP question, would you not address it as the driver sits, at 1 degree open? If not, what is the point of the open face. I want to start and have the face return to the same point at impact.

yes you would address it with the driver being 1* open, you address it like you would anyother driver, neutral faced driver it would be square at address, slightly open driver like this one would be slightly open at address, slightly closed driver would be slightly closed at address

Ive been missing off the tee left- I think I'm closing too fast. Plane seems since I'm starting it off good just tails last at the end.

So I've been gaming the new driver at the "r" setting open. Seems to have fixed it for now. But I'm gonna have the swing coach look at it next Monday.

open face is mainly how the club sits when you take a normal stance/grip and rest the sole on the ground. if you're letting it rest naturally on the ground at setup, it will appear slightly open to your target line

Back