USGA to Dissolve US Pub Links, Adds Four Ball

ddxu

Reaction score
Handicap
The USGA Announced today it will discontinue the Men's and Women's Public Links Championship after 2014. They will add a National Four ball championship for 2015. Traditionally, the reigning men's Public Links champion received an invite to The Masters. Brandt Snedeker and Master champ Trevor Immelman received their first Masters invites by winning the Pub Links.

Kind of a surprise I think, but am interested in hearing more about the national Four Ball Championship.

Thomas O'Toole & John Bodenhamer from USGA was on Morning Drive this morning, and gave us some more info on the Men's & Women's Amateur Four Ball

-two person teams, no restrictions on club membership, location, etc for teammates
-no age restrictions
-open to USGA Index <= 5.4 for Men, 14.4 for Women
-128 Men's teams, 64 women's teams
-36 hole on site stroke play
-low 32 teams qualify for match play (all 18 holes matches)
-dozens of qualifying sites around U.S.
-No sites selected yet, no decision if they will run concurrently, consecutively

This sounds really fun. If I can ever get my index low enough, I would love to give it a shot.

Dang it. This was my plan to get to play Augusta

Man, that does sound fun. A good goal to shoot for in the next couple years.

I hadn't caught the part earlier about them dissolving the Pub Links, but I never really understood the point of that event in the current day and time (other than the Master's invitation). I know a lot of the state organizations do a four ball championship, so that will probably be a popular addition from the USGA.

That's interesting. If I can lower my index a bit more I would love to try that.

I think this sounds pretty cool. Now I have a new target HC to shoot for!

I wonder why they are doing that?
That tourney was held here in town one year and I had a blast watching those guys.
It was amazing to see the talent.

That's a huge bummer. Now the only way for am's to get a Masters invite is the us am or mid am

That's a huge bummer. Now the only way for am's to get a Masters invite is the us am or mid am

Dont forget the Asia-Pacific Amateur!

We should look into flights

USGA just catering to Private, rich, entitled players more and more every year. No reason to get rid of the pub links....

Yeah I actually had to some plans to play in Pub Links over the next few years. Guess I will be sticking to the US Am and the Mid Am.

It just feels like the history is being chipped away a little at a time to make room for what? I am in love with what golf was.

I think the four ball sounds fun, but I'm surprised they got rid of the pub links!

Man, that does sound fun. A good goal to shoot for in the next couple years.

This x 100. After being made aware, I have a new long-term goal. I really think this is a great move by the USGA and brings them in line with the way many amateurs play the game. I've got my first NCGA four ball qualifier in two weeks, it really is a great format!

Yeah I actually had to some plans to play in Pub Links over the next few years. Guess I will be sticking to the US Am and the Mid Am.

It's cool man, we can now team up for the four ball. When we win, we can play a best ball at Augusta

The 4 ball format is an awesome team format. I still don't know why they call it 4 ball. Sure, 4 balls get played by two, 2 man teams but only the low score from each team counts. 2 + 2 is chicken so maybe that has something to do with it.

(bonus points for getting the reference)

The MidAM is a joke. The USGA needs to prohibit former touring professionals (from any tour level) from playing in that event. Each year over half of the field is former professionals.

Back