Two Way miss, Block Right or Hook

ddxu

Reaction score
Handicap
I am a RH high handicapper who can't seem to consistently shoot under 90. I am steady for several holes, but throw in a few big numbers because of a hook or a dead push right.

The hooks usually fly high and long but just hook and keep going left. I try to mentally think about 'hitting it to right center' to fight the face coming closed too early, but occasionally it results in a dead push right where the ball flies high and straight, just offline to the right. My misses are always towards the toe and very rarely towards the heel.

My normal shot shape is a slight draw and I am really happy with it when I am on my game. I just can't seem to get rid of either of these misses. Any swing thoughts or drills I should work on? I would appreciate any thoughts or advice.

Is there somebody to answer this question? Because I could have written the above post myself.
My most catastrophic misses are more off the tee than into greens, though.
Missing into greens results in bogies.
Going to jail from the tee buys doubles and worse on my track.
I've resorted to a driving iron when I don't see wide open spaces from the tee box.

The GolfTec pros don't make it here every day. Please be patient, they will get to it.

It has been mentioned that when they see a lot of posts in a Ask the Pro thread, they sometimes assume it's already been answered.

DDXU,

Thank you for the question and sorry I did not get to it sooner. If your normal shot shape is a draw, then both of these shots will be your misses. In order to hit a draw, the swing path must be to right field as the path will determine spin. The face will determine the initial start direction of the ball. One other thing that leads to pushes and hooks is the toe contact. Modern drivers have the gear effect that makes off-center hits move back to the center. The best thing for you is repitition of the swing path. Use alignment sticks to set up a right center swing path. From there make sure you are swinging out to right field and watch where the ball starts. This will tell you what the face is doing. If the face is open, the ball will push right and if the face is closed, the ball will start left and move left. I would make small adjustments to the face while you practice to get the desired start direction you want. Intentionally try to hit it left and then hit it right. Work to find the middle ground. Practice is the key for fixing this.

The other thing you can do is post some video in here so I can see if there is something mechanical going on. Hope this helps.

Robert Gamble, PGA
City Manager/Director of Instruction
GolfTEC Glenwood

Just wanted to add my 2 cents as I've had this issue in the past with a flat backswing and bringing the club from the inside swinging out to "right field" so to speak. I found it to be too timing oriented and the same inconsistencies with blocks and hooks. Tried exaggerating a steep backswing with over-the-top feeling on the downswing and quickly stopped hooking or pushing the ball. I find more consistency playing a slight fade and can live with a pull every now and then. I also feel more body rotation and finish better on my left side (righty) as before it felt more armsy and hanging back with the finish.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents as I've had this issue in the past with a flat backswing and bringing the club from the inside swinging out to "right field" so to speak. I found it to be too timing oriented and the same inconsistencies with blocks and hooks. Tried exaggerating a steep backswing with over-the-top feeling on the downswing and quickly stopped hooking or pushing the ball. I find more consistency playing a slight fade and can live with a pull every now and then. I also feel more body rotation and finish better on my left side (righty) as before it felt more armsy and hanging back with the finish.

What drills did you use to help make such a drastic change?

What drills did you use to help make such a drastic change?

A couple things. First, I placed an alignment stick to my right at about 30-40* angle into the grass so it forced me to take the club away above the stick and again over it on the downswing. If my takeaway was inside and flat, I'd immediately hit the stick. Same goes for the downswing if I bring it back inside.

A second alignment stick placed vertically into the grass where you would normally swing to the outside or "right field". Odds are if you don't hit the first stick you won't hit the second either, but I had it there as more of a reminder to not swing to the outside.

I did this for a few weeks on a tee with 3 step pump drills (slow, steeper takeaway to 3/4 + slight body drop + follow thru), and eventually full swings once I felt comfortable and confident of not hitting the alignment sticks! haha.

Good info in here thanks everyone for sharing...I've recently started hooking the ball and it feels like I'm swinging around my body instead of swinging through the ball to right field....gotta get back to the basics

Thanks for the help guys, I will give these drills a try during my next few range sessions to see how I progress.

This was exactly my issue last year, hook or block right. Cause seemed to be the fact that I didn't keep my right leg flexed, it locked up dead straight on backswing. This meant my top half rotation was restricted on backswing, and my arms had to do the work - leading to the feeling of 'hammer throwing'.

My first reaction was a flat swing as well. Do you have a video?

Back