Tips for lowering score

jefrazie

Reaction score
Handicap
13.9 OOB
At the beginning of the season (February), my HC was around 22 and I was regularly shooting 95+. I adopted a grip change (to interlock from baseball) and my inconsistencies have vanished. I have since dropped my HC to a 14.4 and I regularly shoot in the mid to high 80's.

What are some recommendations to help get my scores to low the 80's or high 70's? I understand that I won't just drop 10 strokes instantly like my grip change did, but what can I work on to help improve my scores yet again?

Some info over the past 20 rounds:
14.4 handicap
89 scoring avg.
44.1% Fairway
1.95 Putts
32.5% GIR
7 Penalty Strokes

Thanks!!!

congrats on your improvement! looks to me you'll need to be a more consistent ball striker and hit those fairways and greens. Avoid those penalty strokes and you should be on your way to shoot low 80s.

Ask the Pro Section. Please leave this section clear until GolfTEC has had a chance to respond. Thanks.

jefrazie - Practice your short game. Granted...you cannot have any more penalty shots and expect to lower your scores. Start tracking your fairways and greens that you hit per round. You need to be close to 50%+ with each to be able to hit into the 70's. The trick though is improving your ability to scramble when you don't hit the green because your not going to hit all of them. If you cannot get up and down then you are going to take bogey or more any time you miss the green. Its all about improving your ability to make the short putts and get the ball closer to the hole.

Patrick Nuber
PGA Certified Professional
GolfTEC - Golden, CO

Back