Timberlake Signs Callaway Endorsement Deal

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
This is a few weeks old, but I missed it when it happened:

http://blogs.golf.com/equipment/2008/10/justin-timberla.html

Justin Timberlake signs golf deal with Callaway

Okay, here's another reason to be jealous of Justin Timberlake. Not only did the guy date Britney Spears and Cameron Diaz before moving on to Jessica Biel, but the six-handicapper has now signed a deal with Callaway Golf.

Although the financial terms were not disclosed, according to recent release, Timberlake will play a full complement of Callaway Golf clubs, golf balls and will carry a bag branded with the Callaway’s logo.

“There’s nothing like hitting the ball perfectly—I’m hooked on that feeling," Timberlake said. "With Callaway’s help, I’m hoping to experience that more often."

"We're thrilled to have Justin as a part of the Callaway staff," said George Fellows, president and CEO of Callaway Golf. "He has everything we look for when signing new talent – natural ability, a solid work ethnic and passion for the game."

I got that email from Callaway after they had signed him. I think they are stretching on that one to say the least.

Maybe they will sign Jack Hamm next.

I have mxixed feelings about this one. One side, is that he has a very large reach to consumers, and being an amateur, maybe consumers can relate. I mean I dont drink Pepsi because he does their ads, but the ads are pretty funny. The other side is that unless it is handled properly, with the marketing, this could be a huge flop.

It's not really a suprise to me, he has become a dedicated golfer, has his own tourney, he's a celebrity, and he plays golf on TV. We are also talking about the company that sponsors Alice Cooper after all.

i do not know one single Timberlake song title or have listened to an entire song of his. he seems like an ok fellow though, is he really that good as a solo artist? or is it the millions of teen girls still propelling his career? i dunno.

I am with you NVM. I dont know his songs, but he is not just a teen idol anymore.

Musically speaking I don't care for his stuff, but he is talented and extremely marketable. I don't know if any of you saw him on SNL or at the ESPY's, but the guy is pretty funny. He is having a presence in the golf word right now too, with his tournament, the US Open challenge he did earlier in the year, and he made the cover of Golf Digest last month.

but he is not just a teen idol anymore.

Very true, I have his poster up in my room.:bashful:

My first thought would be that they are trying to push their casual line to a broader audience, but it doesnt look that is part of the deal. Either way, I dont think they can go wrong sponsoring this guy, he does have his own tournament and all.

haha!
The new clubhouse will be 43,000 square feet, and include a floor that will house Justin Timberlake Enterprises.

looks like he could consider home course.

Jack Hamm would be a good choice...

Timberlake to me is the complete opposite of an amateur golfer. Yes, we can relate in the sense that he is not scratch, but we are talking about a millionair without a 9-5 and a student of Butch Harmon. I have to work on my wedge game while booking Fed trades and making sure FX's are settling with correct instructions and we're the same handicap. I'd love to go go on tour for 6 months, then sit around for the rest of the year getting lessons from Tiger's old coach. I'd see that index drop, fast.

Timberlake to me is the complete opposite of an amateur golfer. Yes, we can relate in the sense that he is not scratch, but we are talking about a millionair without a 9-5 and a student of Butch Harmon. I have to work on my wedge game while booking Fed trades and making sure FX's are settling with correct instructions and we're the same handicap. I'd love to go go on tour for 6 months, then sit around for the rest of the year getting lessons from Tiger's old coach. I'd see that index drop, fast.

I hear ya, the difference is if Callaway signed you it wouldn't bring new golfers into the game to spend their hard earned coin on clubs. Personally I don't care which pro or celebrity plays a certain brand of clubs, it doesn't affect my buying decisions at all.

Back