THEORETICAL - Friendly Scramble Tournament - $10k HIO prize. You get it. Keep or split - If so how?

Chasing72

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Purely hypothetical. I played a pub scramble on Thursday, had a $10k HIO prize. I was the only one of our foursome to hit the green and I wasn't even that close.

But just curious. Would you split it and would it make a difference who you were with. Friends / Family? Etc?

Me, I was with family I married into, but in my brain I say I would split that $7K to me and then $1k each to them (100% honest here! I hit the shot). What say you?

Last edited:
Only splitting if they are sharing in the bar tab

I wouldn't expect my scramble partners to share with me, so I wouldn't be sharing myself. However, at the bar my scramble partners are getting the best of the best from the bar.

If there was no hole-in-one prize but there were skins, I split the skin money. A hole-in-prize is not a team prize. I do not share.

If everyone agreed at the first tee, I’d split it no problem.

I’m not sharing with my partners but we’d have fun. I think I’d be more inclined to make a donation back to the outing.

Purely hypothetical. I played a pub scramble on Thursday, had a $10k HIO prize. I was the only one of our foursome to hit the green and I wasn't even that close.

But just curious. Would you split it and would it make a difference who you were with. Friends / Family? Etc?

Me, I was with family I married into, but in my brain I say I would split that $7K to me and then $1k each to them (100% honest here! I hit the shot). What say you?
If this was my regular group that puts up with me all of of the time, This would be close to my perfect choice. It would give all of you a little “mad money” for the rest of the golf season. What a fun season it would be.

I’m not sharing with my partners but we’d have fun. I think I’d be more inclined to make a donation back to the outing.
This is a good choice as well. Especially a fundraiser event.

If there was no hole-in-one prize but there were skins, I split the skin money. A hole-in-prize is not a team prize. I do not share.

Not a chance I am splitting that. What I split a box of balls that I want from a long drive or closest to the pin? Nope. To me this is no different; the others in the scramble have nothing to do with me, hitting a hole-in-one

I feel like skins if you are playing in teams are usually a team event. I don’t feel that way about closest to the pin. If we had split the entry fee I wouldn’t feel obliged to split the money.

Years ago I was a guest in a member guest. There was a team entry for skins and a closest to the pin contest. I won the closest to the pin which was $1100 and split it with my host. That probably didn’t cover the entry fee for the tournament though.

Depends but there would be a helluva party.

Not splitting. I made the HIOvwith my ball so the cash is mine. Would expect the others on my team to do the same if they aced it.

I would feel no obligation to split the prize money for a HIO with anyone else - I'm the one that hit the shot. That said, I'd make a donation back to the event and also make sure my playing partners had everything they wanted from the bar afterwards.

Is this some British culture different than American culture here? Do Brits do this sort of thing regularly @Chasing72 ?

If the HIO prize is part of the outing and not an extra charge at the hole where you pay for it then I’d be splitting it. My friends and I always have an agreement we will split everything

We always split skins and proximities so I assume this would be split as well

Unless everyone paid to try then I am not sharing it.
If say everyone agrees before hand then I could see splitting it otherwise NOPE. Because They won't be on the hook for the Taxes you will.

10k at charity event. HIO will be publicized so that money goes to the bar tab. If any left then it is mine.

10k at charity event. HIO will be publicized so that money goes to the bar tab. If any left then it is mine.

Wasn't Charity, it was a pub, likely only going to be known by people at the tournament if that. By my reckoning they would each need to order a $69 drink each to take all of it. That is not happening. A beer or a single maybe, even then I would not personally do that.

Unless everyone paid to try then I am not sharing it.
If say everyone agrees before hand then I could see splitting it otherwise NOPE. Because They won't be on the hook for the Taxes you will.

I never accounted for taxes, we don't get taxed on prizes here, but that makes sense if it would affect you in that way. Also agree with saying something before anyone even hits a shot and then you know where you stand."Hey guys, shall we split this if one of us gets it.Yes / No. Simple.

No more so than I would expect someone to cut a new car they won into quarters for the team.
Or to compensate each of us 25% the value of said vehicle. Silly.

If they didn’t make it, I’m not giving them a cent. Well, maybe if repay them their entry fee.

Back