The best shot of the round

In a round where my driver swing had me pondering quitting, we had a 141 yd approach on the last hole and I hit a beautiful, high baby draw PW to 2-3ft.

In a round where my driver swing had me pondering quitting, we had a 141 yd approach on the last hole and I hit a beautiful, high baby draw PW to 2-3ft.
Congrats on being able to hit PW 140 yds.....that's a 7i for me 🤷‍♂️

Third day in a row playing. BSOTR was a 55-foot putt that dropped into the center of the cup.

The swing changes I've made are producing more distance and are now starting to lock in. Today's round all the tees were pulled back. I still hit 86% FIR and 78% GIR. None of the misses were bad. I was especially pleased with the GIRs which gave me several birdie opportunities. I'm starting to lock in the new distances with each club and get more locked in on direction. As BSOTR I've picked an approach shot on a par 4. The second shot was over a large sand-filled ravine to an elevated green. The ball landed and curled toward the flag finishing about 3 feet away, and yep made the birdie putt.

Sunday’s round, hole 11. The hole was around 120 with a slight hurting wind. There’s a back to front slope that funnels the ball back about 7 paces after the pin. I figured a 136 yard shot would hit on the slope and leave me sitting pretty for bird. I pulled PW and started the ball right at the pin. It was a beautiful high draw that landed with a thud about 10 ft left of the pin just on the top tier. It must have had just enough backspin to catch the slope and roll down to less than 10 feet away. Easy par.

Nailed this 50' + putt on Sunday for bird. Best putt I think I've ever had and the first time I've birdied this hole. Ball was where the red mark is.
14_4-28-2024.jpg

Last edited:
My partner and I have been doing a really good job putting pressure on the other team off the tee. In tonight's match I had a GIR on all the par 3s and FIR on all but one of the par 4s and 5s, and the one 'miss' was a slice on purpose to go around a severe dogleg left that wasn't penal, it ended up in light rough left of the fairway and less than 100 yards from the flag. These tee shots set up a lot of go-for-the-green approach shots.

For BSOTR I'm going with an approach shot set up by one of those tee shots.

Our match started out with back-to-back long per 4s. The second hole we played was over 430 yards. My second shot was 190 yards from the front of the green, all carry, over a ravine to an elevated green with a steep grade in front of it. I decided to go for it to put pressure on the other team. I hit a beautiful high draw that landed at the front of the green just 3 feet short. The ball jumped straight up due to the steep grade, landed 2 feet onto the green, then rolled just off the front edge. Technically not a GIR, but it set up a 2-putt and we won the hole even though I was giving a stroke to each of our opponents on that hole.

Yesterday it was a 15 ft putt to close out a match with a young guy chirping me thinking I would miss. 😂

Lots of good approach shots today. We’ll go with a high draw from 167 yards out that landed on the spot 15 feet left and a little short than curled toward the hole for an easy birdie from 5 feet.

Note: I swing lefthanded.

First time I’ve holed out from the fairway for eagle. Had 110 in and hit what looked like a beauty AW. Couldn’t see it as it was uphill. Got to the green and couldn’t see a ball anywhere and started to get pissed, I could have sworn it was a good shot. Finally checked the hole and the Bridgestone was tucked right in.

Hole 14 was a drivable par 4. After watching @xThor put one on I took the safe route and went 7 iron then hit my approach to 15 feet and we both made birdie. Usually playing it safe doesn't always work but glad it did

104 yard 54° SW hit 3' to a dramatically sloping from right to left pin location. No idea how the ball stopped there with green running dramatically away.

In short, stupid pin placement meets dumb luck.

I hit my drive into the right rough on the 525 yard 18th hole and had a blind uphill shot to the flag with low hanging tree branches the first 40 yards. I hit my 3 wood perfectly and it finished just off the green 35 feet from the flag leaving me an easy 9 iron chip and a tap in birdie.

The other day. #1 handicap hole, long, uphill (415 yards, at 64 yrs old that's long to me) dogleg left par 4. Poor drive ended up on left side of fairway, far enough back from the corner I couldn't see but the far RH side of the green. Good lie, 210 from the center of the green 12' above my head. Over the green is dead so I opted to risk coming up short rather than long. Aimed for the right side of the green and turned over my couple month old G425 22* hybrid. Contact felt great. My ears only rang for a couple seconds with no bleeding. Ball launched high and turned in towards the heart of the green. Actually turned a bit further, and ended up 10' from its pitch mark and 16' from the LH pin placement. I didn't make the downhill, right to left putt, but the par was good enough to take the hole. I really don't think I could have made that shot with my G430 9 wood the hybrid platoons with, because the wood produces so much back spin the ball is hard to turn either way, but it is great when greens are firm.

Easy. After a miserable “drive” I was on hard pan about 150 yards to the pin, which was hard to the front of the green. Down hill about 80 feet. Steep falloff beyond and left of the green. And a big tree in the way. Put the Chrome Tour back in my stance and opened the face about 30*. Hit a gorgeous punch cut that finished behind the pin about 10 feet and just on the fringe. Made the “putt” for birdie.

5th hole, par 5, 450 yds. Short par 5 that usually plays really easy but was well into the wind yesterday. Kinda hit a weaker right tailer off the tee and had about 210 to the middle from the right rough. Plays about a half club uphill as well. Hit 4i to about 15' for eagle. Just missed the eagle and settled for a tap in bird.
1000002702.png

This one qualifies for several threads I believe - this one, my last chip in and last eagle (if that one exists). Highlight of an otherwise horrible round - this is a short for that plays up and over a hill. My drive made it to the middle tier on the down (green) side of the slope. It's so tricky, because the green is probably 20 feet below you, and everything including the green slopes away. You either have to carry it to the green to avoid the big forward kick, or play it shorter and hope it still gets enough kick to make the surface.
Today the pin was in the front third of the green, so I just took my 58 and tried to hit it 2/3 of the way to the green. It hopped a couple of times and then started rolling straight toward the pin. It was just the right speed to drop dead centre instead of ricocheting off the stick.
Screen Shot 2024-05-04 at 8.24.59 PM.png

yesterday got in a short notice twilight 9 with some friends, 9th hole is a 491 par 5, 240 drive to middle of fairway, 251 to pin . worst shot of the day was me pulling my 3 wood into a creek on 2nd shot . i took a drop at 155 to an elevated pin with a line slighty over big oak tree. Nailed my 8 iron to 3 feet of the flag .... was very happy

Back