Teaching Junior Golfers

Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
Next year I may get 1 lesson per month for my son. Local course holds junior events and I think I'll give em a shot. I've taught him everything up to this point. He's got a knack for it and had a triple bogey on a 135 yard par 3 this year, he was 4 at the time, just turned 5. Anyone teach their little ones how to golf? If so what tips do you have for anyone else wanting to teach their kids to golf?

The biggest thing you can do is just let them play. Let them have fun with it. If they want to hit the ball with the grip end, let them. If they want to hold the club the wrong way, let them. Thats the way theyll truly enjoy themselves, because theyll always want to do what they want to do.

That being said, if your young lad takes to lessons well, and enjoys himself, and the Pro is a GREAT junior teacher, he will continue to enjoy himself.

Next year I may get 1 lesson per month for my son. Local course holds junior events and I think I'll give em a shot. I've taught him everything up to this point. He's got a knack for it and had a triple bogey on a 135 yard par 3 this year, he was 4 at the time, just turned 5. Anyone teach their little ones how to golf? If so what tips do you have for anyone else wanting to teach their kids to golf?

Thanks Thainer. When we are at the range or course I teach him 1 rule and have him tell me 1 way to have respect for the course. After that I let him have it at. I agree fun is key. His idea of fun is not always what I want him to be doing, but at least he is developing a nice little swing.

I'm with Thainer. I'm still trying to get my little brother into golf because he doesn't like it. He's 11 and last I took him out on a par 33 he shot 42. I keep telling him he can be awesome, at it, but he just doesn't like it. I won't force it upon him, and he keeps going out with me more and more. Let him do whatever he wants so he doesn't lose interest.

Thanks Thainer. When we are at the range or course I teach him 1 rule and have him tell me 1 way to have respect for the course. After that I let him have it at. I agree fun is key. His idea of fun is not always what I want him to be doing, but at least he is developing a nice little swing.

I learned to play golf from a really young age too, and I actually remember most of it very clearly. One of the things I remember most is my dad always letting me develop my own swing and do what I wanted with golf. He let me have fun, but one thing he always instilled in me everytime we went out were the different rules and courtesies of golf. Thats one of the things im most thankful for, especially when I go out with people that don't always know those rules and things like that. IMO just let him play until he gets to be 8 or 9, then if he's pretty serious about it maybe get a few lessons just to work on some fundamentals early. Just my 2 cents. Most of all have fun with it!!

Back