T-36 Golf Course Concept

Jank

I'm just a golfer, I suppose.
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
FIRs
Troon Golf has purchased a course that has shutdown here locally some time ago and they are unveiling their first "T-36" golf course that utilizes 18 tee areas, 18 greens, but only 9 fairways in order to reduce the land area of the course, which will also reduce the amount of water needed to irrigate the golf course by an estimated 60%. This also gives the course the ability to easily modify to a par 3, executive, or standard par 3/4/5 layout.

Their FAQ states that a little more than 30 groups can play the course during any given day, which really is not much, so I'm interested to see how the concept works. A lot of their videos reference to this being the "old style" of golf courses, though I haven't played any of the classic courses in Ireland or Scotland. In my head it seems like a "fore" call on every hole waiting to happen, but I'm sure I am just not understanding their vision correctly.

Think this will be a sustainable method of golf course design in the future? I'm all for reducing the amount of land and water needed for a golf course, but not sure it's worth the potential errant shot hazards that will inevitably be more present at a course like this than at a standard golf course.

I’m looking forward to trying this out. It’s right here where I work. I used to play Evergreen (the course that closed down on this tract) frequently.

I’m looking forward to trying this out. It’s right here where I work. I used to play Evergreen (the course that closed down on this tract) frequently.

I had actually never heard of Evergreen Point before, but I can also say that about a lot of the courses on the east and south side of town. One guy in my golf group actually landed the head pro job out there, so he's pretty pumped about it. I think that he played the course recently, or is playing it very soon to check it out. I think that it's opening in mid-December, but not 100% sure the exact date.

Evergreen was a good course, was sad when the course closed. A developer wanted to buy it so City of Baytown purchased it to run it as parks and rec with the intention of renovating and reopening the golf course but the citizens voted it down because they were mad they didn’t do the same thing with Baytown Country Club (which was a goat track and would have taken 5x the funds to restore to golfing conditions)

I've not played one but I've read about a few 9-holers with alternative tees to make 18. Maybe Sweeten's Cove is set up that way? King-Collins,who designed Sweetens, was going to build a 9 hole course with several sets of tees on site of an abdandoned course but it is on hold or fell through.

I'm all for reducing the amount of land and water needed for a golf course
This alone has me interested. With the low number of people able to play in a day, I don't think it works, but I hope it does!

Golf in a war zone and getting caught in the crossfire.. Sounds so fun...

War Mcr GIF by My Chemical Romance

Sounds really interesting - I have played a few courses that have shared greens. BUt nothing else. Also a few with many tee boxes for some added versatility. I wonder if they could not make the fairways really wide allow for more groups - once people understand the set up - so no one gets killed/maimed.

I've not played one but I've read about a few 9-holers with alternative tees to make 18. Maybe Sweeten's Cove is set up that way? King-Collins,who designed Sweetens, was going to build a 9 hole course with several sets of tees on site of an abdandoned course but it is on hold or fell through.
When my parents lived in Savannah, there was a course that had 9 fairways, 9 greens (most larger with double pins) and 18 sets of tees. It was a pretty fun course, nothing fancy by all means, but playable.

Just worried about someone that doesn’t give an eff and is dropping bombs on folks in the fairway because they are tired of waiting

18 holes and 9 fairways sounds dangerous. Hence only 30 groups. Given golf as at apex right now maybe this works. But if any economic hic cup it won't.

Years ago, I designed a private/personal golf course where the different holes shared tees, fairways and greens. I still have the design somewhere. The idea was to take up very little acreage, little irrigation and mowing, and with the idea of using native grasses and artificial putting surfaces.

But it would not have worked for more than a couple groups.

If the 2 different groups using the same FW get to their tee at the same time I could see it working, otherwise it sounds chaotic

Back