Switching from right to left handed,how long

shewythemuss

Reaction score
Handicap
As a leftie,I do everything left handed but I play golf right handed,My bad shot is the block to the right or snap hook all caused by my hips not rotating through the shot.This is not a natural movement for me,the other way round is fine as its like skimming a stone and I skim left handed.
So my question is this,has anyone switched after a few years to left from right,and how long do you think it would take to get to a decent standard? I'm thinking of switching over winter if I trial it and it goes well.I just get the feeling that I can't get any better than around 14 hc with my right handed swing.

don't do it, lack of club choice :D

but more seriously do what makes your comfortable and what makes golf fun

don't do it, lack of club choice :D

but more seriously do what makes your comfortable and what makes golf fun

+1 and that is coming from 2 lefties!

Lefties unite and bring him into the fold. It is time we took up arms and started the revolution to take club selection back to an equal footing with those smug righties!

Im a lefty who plays right handed too, and I also struggle with my hip turn. I can tell you that it's possible to get down lower though!

I say'd you might be better served working on your hip turn over the winter instead. I know id be more confident of learning to skim a stone with my right than I would learning to swing left handed.
it's always worth a go though, to find out if you really are more comfortable that way.

Any good gadgets to promote hip turn?
Maybe I'll skim stones all winter lol! (but the lochs were all frozen last winter!)
I'll grab a demo 6 iron left hand club at the range tomorrow and speak with my pro to see his thoughts.

Any good gadgets to promote hip turn?
Maybe I'll skim stones all winter lol! (but the lochs were all frozen last winter!)
I'll grab a demo 6 iron left hand club at the range tomorrow and speak with my pro to see his thoughts.

I'm not really a practice gadget fan tbh. The only thing I've used is a tour stick through the belt loops. I try to keep it as parallel as possible on the way back, then get it facing the target as soon as possible as I'm swinging through. Just thinking about getting my belt buckle pointing towards the target before impact (how it feels) seems to help a little. Maybe an impact bag would help too. Means you're not following through, and you can see the angle of your hips clearly at impact. Sure your pro will have some ideas on this too.

Back