Swingweight importance

EJ333

Reaction score
Handicap
I am considering purchasing a used swing weight scale to check the swing weights across my woods, hybrids, and wedges. Is adjusting swing weights across each type of club in your bag to match important for better playing consistency ? I like to add strips of lead tape to get a better feel of heft to the club head of certain clubs, but don't actually know the swing weight value.

Man, I don't really know, everyone talks about swingweight but I know for sure that I can't tell the difference between D3 and D4. I do know that when I tried the Burner Superfast 2.0 driver with the stock light shaft, and swingweight of D0 I didn't like it at all, when I put in the Matrix HD6 at 60 grams and had it cut down to standard lenght, I'm in love. I have no idea what swingweight value it is now, I just know that I like it. Let us know how the scale works for you.

I've been playing a long time and to be honest, I just can't really feel the difference between a few swing weight points. I've experimented a lot with clubs over the years and have tried just about anything you can think of, and swing weight was often changed. Knowing the exact swing weight of something was never very important to me. Either it just feels right and it works, or it doesn't.

I like the idea of a group of clubs having the same swing weight and feel, like all wedges, all irons, all hybrids etc. but if they are off slightly from one to the other, it is hard to notice, at least for me.

Even many pro's find it hard to tell the difference between clubs when it's only a matter of one or two swingweight points.

But I think a set of clubs ought to feel consistent throughout and knowing what the actual swingweight is and how much it needs to be adjusted is only possible by weighing them.

Let's put it this way: You could spend money on a lot sillier things than a swingweight scale. I think it's a good investment and a good thing to have around.

The statistic of a tennis golf club's bodyweight about a factor which is recognized at a specified weight from the hold end of the team.Swingweight is a stability statistic and is the level to which the team account balances toward the clubhead.

^^What?^^

The statistic of a tennis golf club's bodyweight about a factor which is recognized at a specified weight from the hold end of the team.Swingweight is a stability statistic and is the level to which the team account balances toward the clubhead.

Omega is that you??? I'm confused.
I think consistancy in a set is improtant not so much what the weight is. I think unless it's a major difference we won't notice say less than 4-5 points and it's pretty much going to feel the same.

What's the frequency Kenneth?

lmao,what ?you don't understand the statistic of a tennis golf club's body weight?

lol no I have no idea what that means!

I have that swing weight scale and I also want to sell it out in $15. It is hamilton 50 GM. Nw I want to buy one pilot digital scale in a good condition for my personal use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that swing weight scale and I also want to sell it out in $15. It is hamilton 50 GM. Nw I want to buy one pilot digital scale in a good condition for my personal use.

Put it in the Marketplace.

THPing on Tapatalk

I might be interested in that.

I am personally using ElectroSamson Hanging Digital Scale 22 lb x 0.02 lb/ oz / 10 kg x 0.01 kg and small weighting scales. Both are best and recommended to weight items.

Hanging Scales

Last edited:
Do you prefer MOI matching or SW matching and why? Any firsthand experiences? I am currently experimenting with a MOI matched set of AP2s with the KBS Ctapers. So far so good. I really like the fact that they all feel the same weight and I can play them from the same ball position in my stance. Few more rounds and I should be seeing some good GIR numbers.

At the end of the day its all about how comfortable you are with your club regardless of weight.

Do you prefer MOI matching or SW matching and why? Any firsthand experiences? I am currently experimenting with a MOI matched set of AP2s with the KBS Ctapers. So far so good. I really like the fact that they all feel the same weight and I can play them from the same ball position in my stance. Few more rounds and I should be seeing some good GIR numbers.
I've always wanted to try MOI matching and see what it's like. I'm planning on getting a new set of irons and may do this to my backup set.

Just seems so radical since most, if not all, golfers have been playing SW matched clubs.

I've always wanted to try MOI matching and see what it's like. I'm planning on getting a new set of irons and may do this to my backup set.

Just seems so radical since most, if not all, golfers have been playing SW matched clubs.

If your going to have an extra set you might as well try MOI Matching. I really like the lighter SW of the longer irons.

Hi. The one thing about MOI matching. This is not a new concept, just a new definition. Anyone that has added lead tape to a club head or back weighted a club has in affect MOI'd that club. If you put lead tape on 4 of your irons and not the others, because they just felt better, y is in affect MOI matched y our set of irons. Many of you have a club that is your absolute favorite club to swing. How many time have you tried to get your other clubs to play like it? Or you have one club that just is not right?
MOI matching you irons, just ensures that all of your club feel the same as every other club.
I fit and build for MOI match. I have never had to rebuild to swing weight match a set of irons.

I have been pondering this very thing all year long. I purchased a set if i20's with DG SL's and thought about adding weight. I'm an ex baseball player and all my life I swung an end-loaded bat. Never could swing a balanced one very well. I needed a 60 degree wedge so I went to the golf shop and picked up an old CG10 that has a "T" stamp on it. Whether true or not, the guy said that it was tour issued. One thing that I noticed is that it's quite a bit heavier than my CG15's in 56 and 50. I use that 60 degree for anything 100 yards and in. I can't hit the 50 and 56 for crap. And I 'believe' that it's partly because they'e so much lighter than the 60. I thought about trying to get some lead tape and put it on my 50 and 56 to see if it helps. And if so, might experiment with the i20'. My 150 club is my 9 iron and I'm not looking for more distance by any means, I'm looking for feel.

I have been pondering this very thing all year long. I purchased a set if i20's with DG SL's and thought about adding weight. I'm an ex baseball player and all my life I swung an end-loaded bat. Never could swing a balanced one very well. I needed a 60 degree wedge so I went to the golf shop and picked up an old CG10 that has a "T" stamp on it. Whether true or not, the guy said that it was tour issued. One thing that I noticed is that it's quite a bit heavier than my CG15's in 56 and 50. I use that 60 degree for anything 100 yards and in. I can't hit the 50 and 56 for crap. And I 'believe' that it's partly because they'e so much lighter than the 60. I thought about trying to get some lead tape and put it on my 50 and 56 to see if it helps. And if so, might experiment with the i20'. My 150 club is my 9 iron and I'm not looking for more distance by any means, I'm looking for feel.

To KMANCs point I have found that just a little lead tape can affect the impact point on the face enough to notice. In fact I will add lead tape till I start hitting the same spot on the face then remove a little at a time until I find just the right amount to produce consistent ball striking. By moving it from the hosel to different places on the club head you can affect the ball flight characteristics as well. If your looking for a better feel lead tape is a good place to start. If you find the weight wrapped around the hosel produces the best result you could even remove the head and install a tip weight if you don't need more than 6-8grams. While your at it spine and flo the shaft. You will love the results.

To KMANCs point I have found that just a little lead tape can affect the impact point on the face enough to notice. In fact I will add lead tape till I start hitting the same spot on the face then remove a little at a time until I find just the right amount to produce consistent ball striking. By moving it from the hosel to different places on the club head you can affect the ball flight characteristics as well. If your looking for a better feel lead tape is a good place to start. If you find the weight wrapped around the hosel produces the best result you could even remove the head and install a tip weight if you don't need more than 6-8grams. While your at it spine and flo the shaft. You will love the results.

Thanks for the response!! I'm definitely looking into this. I'll report back after my range time on Sunday. Thanks again!

Back