Swing Video - Thoughts/Advice?

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Here's a few shots from my 7 iron in the net:
[YOUTUBE]EzdKjTxdGlM[/YOUTUBE]

Me and my pro are currently working on getting everything on plane and keeping the swing short/compact, I naturally used to come over the top quite a bit. Therefore, to obtain a neutral ball flight he's asking me to really rotate my hips quite far open before impact and leave my hands quite quiet, lagging a bit behind the rest of the rotation. He believes I'm flexible/strong enough to achieve this. Apparantly the tour player I should be looking at is someone like Martin Kaymer, which kinda makes sense to me as he generally works the ball left to right in preference to right to left.

On the course for the first time with my last lesson tweaks the results were positive, ball striking was better and shots were going mostly straighter.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts Andy as it's always good to get a second opinion.

Cheers

On a slightly different note, with a similar "shortish" swing with my driver I've made good progress (according to my club fitter's launch monitor). Getting numbers of 100mph SS, 2,700 RPM spin, 14* launch angle and 145 power transfer (up from 135-138 a few months back)

Goal for this season is to get the handicap down to 6ish

To be honest I like a lot of what I see from this point of view. In the earlier swings keep an eye on the club head. It tends to try and get behind you ( a little inside) on the way back. When you see that the move to make up for it is to come over the top. The last couple of cuts above looked better. I would like you to feel like the club head stays out infront of the hands more during the take away. To double check this at the half way point or where the club is parallel to the ground I would like to see your hands on your toe line and the club head in line with the hands to slightly in front of the hands.

I like the look of the top from here. I would love to see some additional video from head on so I can see how well you are moving through the shot.

Ok, that sounds positive. I'm off to the range Thursday so I'll see if I can get someone to film some shots from that angle. This was taken from just propping my phone up on the window ledge in the club shed. lol.

Thanks Andy

Hey Andy, here's the front on video you requested:

[YOUTUBE]4xUOeqn1u3M[/YOUTUBE]

Sorry it's a bit close but the range has pretty high bay walls.

All of the 3 shots filmed from that view went straight with a good ball flight. All felt pretty good

Thanks for that video. I was happy to see on all 3 swings you are making a great weight shift. From the down the line view that looked like you were hanging back a touch, but what you put up here was great. Thanks. How did the work from above go on the range?

Thanks Andy, I'm glad I'm working on the right things.

RE. the last shot down the line: I might very well have been hanging back, tbh as I've only been playing golf a short amount of time my swing is far from automatic so it changes very easilly (for good or bad).

I just re-read your first post, I didn't fully understand it first time (but thought I did) so I didn't focus on that club position at the range. I'll be sure to work on it next time I have a net/range session.

I'm also getting a bit frustrated on the course at the moment, it hasn't got above 2*C here in ages so I'm finding it hard to keep any consistant feel/rhythm between my shots. Roll on spring!!

Another quick question. What in your opinion is the optimum time to leave between lessons?

I try to get my clients in to see me every 7-10 days. This gets them enough time to work on the changes and gets them back to me before the old habits start to creep back in. A routine is needed during a swing change. It takes time and effort.

Thanks as always Andy, I conciously worked on gettting my club in front of my hands yesterday. Spent an hour in the net doing drills and focusing on some key thoughts. Then went on the course and fitted in 5-6 holes before it got dark.

I was very happy with my ball striking, and can't think of any occasions where I came massively over the top.

After a chat with my coach (and your post above) we're going to focus the next 6-8 weeks on my short game. So am having an assesment of where my short game is at this friday then a block of 6 lessons 1 a week to teach me the correct techniques for pitches/lobs/chips etc... All the while I can work on my long game striking in my own time too.

A routine is needed during a swing change. It takes time and effort.

It's more of swing teaching than change as I've only been playing 8-9 months, but I'm doing my drills and practicing a good 3-4 times a week at the moment so planning on having a good season this year.

Keep up the hard work, that is awesome. You are doing the right thing. Sit down talk to your coach and come up with a game plan. Now the fun/hard part. Stick to it. There will be bumps in the road, just know that this hard work will pay off in the end.

Latest Vids:

7 Iron
[YOUTUBE]Du4z9P_UNpE[/YOUTUBE]

Driver
[YOUTUBE]hdhaH6TAvbE[/YOUTUBE]

I've been reading a bit of Jim Hardy's book on the one plane swing and tbh I'm pretty happy with the positions I'm getting in on the backswing, but I think I should be swinging more "around" my body with the iron shots on the follow through.

On the course my drives have been pretty good with 1 or 2 per round that I leave my hands very open through impact, almost like I get scared to really go for it and don't bring my hands through like the other drives. Iron wise I haven't come over the top in a good few rounds, just occasionally leak the shots a little right (starting straight then fading off), but not too sure what changes to make this happen.

What do you rekon, sound about right?

The top is looking a ton better. Great work. It will take some time to develop the timing and confidence to release the club as needed. You are doing the right things and you and your coach should keep at it. You will be happy with your game goes.

Update: Check this out...I'm really happy with my backswing and downswing through to impact now. IMO I just need to work on swinging more "around my body" on the follow through and have the face of my club pointing more towards the ground (observations made from watching one plane swings in the pros like Ernie, Appleby, Kuchar etc...)

[YOUTUBE]FAE-wxE8ucw[/YOUTUBE]

WOW!!! It is looking a ton different and much better. Great work. To work on the feel you are talking about down and through the ball will help. Place a tee or something on the ground a couple inches in front of the ball and make an effort to swing down through the ball and try to swing the club out to the secondary target. This will keep you in the shot and down and through much longer.

Great job so far!

Thanks for the compliment! I tried using your tip with a couple of range/net sessions, unfortunately I couldn't get the feel for the technique. I had a short game lesson last friday though (learned the flop shot technique), and in the latter half we had a quick look at my long game striking. My pro gave me a new follow through position to aim for, which really freed my arms up and it solved the minor issue, played 1 round since...ball striking was very good. I'm very excited for the season...only a couple of weeks more to wait!

Back