Swapping out Shafts yourself

cg13

Addict
Reaction score
Handicap
OOB 13.3
What is the normal process like on this? Skill level? etc. What steps go into something like this?

What is the normal process like on this? Skill level? etc. What steps go into something like this?

Irons? Drivers? What type of shafts (graphite or steel)?

Heat gun or torch to flame the hosel to loosen up the epoxy. Then use my shaft puller with a couple of cranks to take care of the work.

I just starting tinkering with my own clubs... pulling and reshafting iron with steel shafts isn't difficult at all, I'm not a handy man but had no trouble doing this on my own. I didn't use a puller. I wouldn't attempt a graphite shaft though.

Irons? Drivers? What type of shafts (graphite or steel)?

Heat gun or torch to flame the hosel to loosen up the epoxy. Then use my shaft puller with a couple of cranks to take care of the work.

Steel shafts on wedges irons mainly. Just curious how much time something like that takes. Does it take alot of experience? Any adjustments or weighting issues?

Steel shafts on wedges irons mainly. Just curious how much time something like that takes. Does it take alot of experience? Any adjustments or weighting issues?

I can do wedges pretty quickly. No shaft puller needed really.

Easy to learn, just get a good shaft puller with a hydralic pump off ebay, make sure it has the pump, much easier than any other puller. Anything with a steel shaft is very easy, heat it up and pull it. graphite takes a little extra time and skill, best to practice on some junk clubs. I use a torch because a heat gun takes too long and having pulled shafts for 25 years got it down. Heat gun for graphite is probably best for a newbie.

I want to learn to restate and re grip my clubs. Never done it I might buy a cheap set old clubs on eBay and practice before I try on my new irons.

Any advice or a first timer regripping? I don't like that hydraulic one jb reviewed I like my golf pride grips. I'll search later when I get home.

I want to learn to restate and re grip my clubs. Never done it I might buy a cheap set old clubs on eBay and practice before I try on my new irons.

Any advice or a first timer regripping? I don't like that hydraulic one jb reviewed I like my golf pride grips. I'll search later when I get home.

May want to re-read our review. I can do golf pride grips or any other grips with the Pure Grip system. I dont have to use their grips. I can also grip an entire set in about 15 minutes.

This thread brought to mind what a fun winter project that would be...building a complete set of irons.

May want to re-read our review. I can do golf pride grips or any other grips with the Pure Grip system. I dont have to use their grips. I can also grip an entire set in about 15 minutes.

I will jb! I must have missed the part where you mentioned you didn't have to use their grips- def on the Xmas list now!

Is there a good website to buy new (or used I guess) OEM heads w/o any shaft attached? I never really see any on eBay.. I'll learn to do shaft pulls but I'd rather have an unadulterated head and hosel to deal with.

Is there a good website to buy new (or used I guess) OEM heads w/o any shaft attached? I never really see any on eBay.. I'll learn to do shaft pulls but I'd rather have an unadulterated head and hosel to deal with.

They are all over eBay olol

Back