Surcharges - Where do they stop?

#troy

Jax, FL
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Just came across this banner on a local club's tee time booking page.
Course offered the range when booking a round, now there is a MANDATORY surcharge.

Additionally, My home course added a surcharge to all non-cash transactions a year or so ago.

What's next?

1700234569521.png

I look at it as a way to increase prices without actually increasing the price.

Course offered the range when booking a round, now there is a MANDATORY surcharge.

Additionally, My home course added a surcharge to all non-cash transactions a year or so ago.

What's next?

View attachment 9222045
Do you still have to pay for range balls?

Do you still have to pay for range balls?
No, they are included in the tee time price.
Just now, they are adding a surcharge to everyone regardless of usage.

It’s not a cheap course to begin with.

Why is it the more expensive courses are the ones with the most surcharges?!?

Should just up the membership dues, then.

What's next?

View attachment 9222045
So does that mean you get free balls for range usage?

Or just "we have a practice green, that'll be $3"

Sheesh, just up the overall rate $3 and don't include the explanation.

I'd rather you say you have to raise prices than try to justify it with some ******** excuse, like you're not really raising prices.

Yeah just raise the price 3 bucks. Then you also won't deal with the trunk-slammers complaining that they are getting nothing for their 3 buck surcharge when they don't use the range.

Raise the price.

It's the same thing all sorts of other places do.

Restaurants that offer a "service charge fee" that isn't a tip but to create a living wage - then ask for a tip on top of that.
Air BnB style places - cheap rate for the night but all those added fee's and requirements making it more expensive than just staying at a hotel.
Online ticketmaster - service and convenience fee's a 26 dollar ticket ends up costing me almost 40 bucks.

Just tell me the price in total and let me decide if that's where I want to spend my money, don't say it's a 97 dollar price tag then it comes out to more than that before adding the tax cut.

So does that mean you get free balls for range usage?

Or just "we have a practice green, that'll be $3"

Sheesh, just up the overall rate $3 and don't include the explanation.
Range balls included in price of tee time.

Which is baked in the tee time price already or ‘complimentary’. How ever you want to look at it. Now, a surcharge on top.

Yeah just raise the price 3 bucks. Then you also won't deal with the trunk-slammers complaining that they are getting nothing for their 3 buck surcharge when they don't use the range.
Did you just call me a trunk slammer ? Lol

Last edited:
Reminds me a bit of buying tires for my cars... WA state charges 10.3% sales tax on the Federal Rubber tax.

Yep places here are charging 3 or 4% for using a CC to pre book online.

As a business owner, my operating costs have skyrocketed over the last few years. I don't control or set the prices for what I do, but I imagine every other business is experiencing the same thing. It sucks.

Yeah, i'm fine with costs going up because i get it....but as others have said just raise the price. I'd rather just know the total instead of "well it costs 40$ to play but there's 7 different surcharges"

My club now does an annual cost of improvement fee of 500$. If it's annual, just add it to the membership .....

I'd agree, just raise the price $3 and call it a day. Don't point out a fact of a surcharge for something some may not use.

I think it is a bad decision to announce all these surcharges. People typically have the same reaction - WTH? Just increase the price and let people think they are getting things like the range for free.

Back