Spin vs Launch Debate

Colt

Two is one and one is none
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN: ????
Got to thinking about the whole high/low launch low/high spin arguments that I see all of the time between shaft snobs.

Can anybody make a legitimate argument as to how a shaft can launch a ball higher and still knock off spin? Or launch a ball lower and still "spin too much"?

I mean when you think about it the bend profile of a shaft delivers the club head at the ball at a certain angle. The angle that the club impacts the ball affects the way it spins. So how is it that a shaft or a person playing that shaft can claim that a shaft can launch a ball higher when the only thing that does that is loft and spins less when the thing that affects that is... that same loft?

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

I'll wait for TC for this one . . .

I'll wait for TC for this one . . .

Or SuperAhi. I thought this would be enjoyable to debate. I like to read the debates on this in other places but their just so damned nasty in those other places most of the time. That's why I'll never join.

I think it all depends on the golfer. I'm a high spin player so I look for things with low spin profiles. And not all shafts deliver the clubhead in a similar fashion. That's where designs and construction materials come into play.

I would love to pick your brain on shafts sometime TC...it's something I don't understand as well as I want to.

I think it all depends on the golfer. I'm a high spin player so I look for things with low spin profiles. And not all shafts deliver the clubhead in a similar fashion. That's where designs and construction materials come into play.

Yeah, but if you have a shaft that delivers the club head at a lower angle, thus launching lower, how can it possibly spin more (caused by higher dynamic loft) when the shaft delivered the club head to the ball at a lower dynamic loft (low launch)?

Does angle of attack have anything to do with it?

Kind of like a high ball hitter moving to a higher lofted club?

Yeah, but if you have a shaft that delivers the club head at a lower angle, thus launching lower, how can it possibly spin more (caused by higher dynamic loft) when the shaft delivered the club head to the ball at a lower dynamic loft (low launch)?

B/c certain shafts are constructed so that energy is transferred from the kick-point to specific sections of the shaft. If it's constructed so the kick point occurs in the tip section of the shaft you typically can see a little more spin, thus "higher launching". Conversely, if a shaft is constructed so that the kick point occurs in the butt end of the section it's a higher kick point thus typically equating to lower spin off the club face, and "lower launching".

It's all in the R & D and the materials that are being used. Matrix uses the hexadecagonal design on the interior of their shafts b/c through rigorous testing they have determined that it's far more stable through the swing than just a circle. Dude, wait until you read the review I'm writing about the Yonex shafts and what they have going on in those. It's going to be a lot about materials and what it does.

Also, FWIW, I don't really view it as spin vs. launch. I'm constantly looking for a combo that compliments each other. If I'm seeing something off the tee in the 14-16* range then I want around 2300-2600 rpms of spin. If I'm seeing something in the 11-13* range of launch I want something in the 2800-3100 rpms of spin. One has to marry well with the other in order to find your optimal carry distance.

Does angle of attack have anything to do with it?

Kind of like a high ball hitter moving to a higher lofted club?

Attack angle does have an impact on launch angle, but does not have an impact on spin. Research by Trackman has shown that the old idea that "hitting really hard down on the ball puts more spin on it" isn't true.

Back