Damaikis

Fairway Finder
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.2
I had problems with my wedges from the fairway today. It was my spin control, or lack thereof. Three times I had a shot from the fairway between 50-70 yards land within 5 feet of the pin and end up off the green. One sucked backwards, one hopped sideways, and one released way past. I don't know what to do about it, does anyone have any tips? I used the same 50* wedge for all 3 shots, and I tried to the best of my ability to use the same technique each time. Is it just natural for shots of different lengths to have different tendencies when they hit?

Were you playing the same shot? As in, ball in the same spot of your stance and similar swing?

Were you playing the same shot? As in, ball in the same spot of your stance and similar swing?

This was my question. Ball placement can do a lot to what the ball does off the club

Sure they could all do different things. Did a ball land on a downslope, did it land into an upslope, did it land on a firmer spot etc etc. There could a multitude of reasons since it was 3 different shots into 3 different greens.

--
Tapatalk2

Spin back caught clean with square club face
Hop sideways (which direction) either cut spin or draw spin
Release past the hole, little low on the face slightly thin by maybe one or two grooves.

Yes, to the best of my ability. Maybe I'm just not that good, lol.

Spin back caught clean with square club face
Hop sideways (which direction) either cut spin or draw spin
Release past the hole, little low on the face slightly thin by maybe one or two grooves.

This is sort of what I figured it was. They all felt good and flew quite straight. Maybe just slightly off. I need some more practice to become more consistant.

Dam it's just about consistency from that distance. These are feel shots that require precise execution. I think know what you want out of the shot will help you. What described are actually three different shots with the same club. The key is to play for one of those three results.

Zipping a ball from 50-ish yards with a 50* isn't the easiest thing to do, so that might be why it released past the hole. There're a ton of variables here beyond your control - how the fairway and green was (upslope, downslope, how tightly cut it was, soft patch), wind and so on.

Back