Small Country Club Pro Shops

deuce

Grenade!
Reaction score
So my CC is a relatively small outfit. They're struggling to reach their goal of 300 paid memberships, so you'd think that they'd do their best to not aggravate the ones that are paying. I know some people expect those who work at the CC to bend over backwards and cater to every demand, but I don't think it's unreasonable to give a bit of thought to planning events, etc.

Yesterday, a friend and myself went out with our kids (mine is 3, his is 4) to play nine. I called ahead and asked if a scramble was going to occur that day. Was told that it would go off at ten, but if we wanted to get there earlier that'd be fine ... so I told them to expect us at 9. When we got there, we found out that we weren't the only ones with ideas to play ahead of the scramble (which have typically under performed - last years was cancelled due to lack of participation). One group went out in front of us, then we went out, and two more groups were playing behind us. Despite having two kids who wanted to hit - occasionally - I thought we were doing pretty well keeping up (as reference my son and I played a round, where I did most of the hitting, in 79 minutes last week), so I didn't envision any problems. We were caught by a twosome behind us at #4 and we let them play through ... though we managed to keep up with them. The foursome behind us didn't catch us.

At ten o'clock, we see several carts driving around the course ... the scramble had begun. We had one team directly behind us and one team sandwiched between us and the twosome we let pass. We were wrapping up #6 when this happened (6 holes in 60 minutes with two kids wasn't bad IMO). Things slowed down immediately, and after #7 I took my son and left. My friend finished up his nine.

When I got to the pro shop, I asked how many teams were in the scramble and he said six teams of four.

Why didn't he send them off on the back nine? The scramble was for a full 18, and the course was empty otherwise except for the four groups out on the front nine. Meh, didn't make much sense to me to throw six teams into the mix with four groups already out there playing (pretty much on pace too).

Were you playing 9 or 18? I'm surprised they didn't suggest that you tee off on the back nine.

Were you playing 9 or 18? I'm surprised they didn't suggest that you tee off on the back nine.
Played nine, that's about the amount I can get done with an antsy three year old. Yeah, I thought the same thing. Honestly didn't ask how they would handle us with the scramble going off an hour after us because I didn't think they'd throw them right in our midst ... that's my fault.

Back