Shoulders Turn Parallel/Flat

Thrillbilly Jim

Naysayer Trendsetter
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A Lotter
I know what my problem is, fixing it is the issue. :cautious: I always play poorly when I have a hard time looking at the ball. You would think keeping your eyes on a stationary target would be easy. The problem is I turn my shoulders parallel or flat a lot. This causes my left shoulder to hit my chin, and turns my head, so I lose where the golf ball is. It's an unfortunate series of events. I need to turn my shoulders down toward the ground. This would allow me to stay centered on top of the ball and help move my weight forward during the follow through. Any suggestions on how to do this more often?

Try not looking at the ball. For irons and fwy woods, 2" in front of it and for driver 2" behind it. Also start stretching more. The more limber you become the more it will be easier to rotate.

Without seeing your swing, it’s difficult to assess accurately. But my first thought is bend more at your waist. Sounds like you’re standing too upright and swinging way flat. On the driving range or sim, try pointing your lead shoulder straight at the ball And raising your hands higher at the top of your backswing. As for losing sight of the ball, try Jack Nicklaus setup. Start your swing with you head turned a few degrees to your trail side.

Have you tried the drill with putting a club against your shoulders with the butt end towards the target and making your backswing rotation? I like my butt to point slightly over the ball. When I get too flat I try to over correct and make sure the butt end is pointing at the ball. You can do this in your living room during commercials which made it one of my favorite drills for winter.

I know what my problem is, fixing it is the issue. :cautious: I always play poorly when I have a hard time looking at the ball. You would think keeping your eyes on a stationary target would be easy. The problem is I turn my shoulders parallel or flat a lot. This causes my left shoulder to hit my chin, and turns my head, so I lose where the golf ball is. It's an unfortunate series of events. I need to turn my shoulders down toward the ground. This would allow me to stay centered on top of the ball and help move my weight forward during the follow through. Any suggestions on how to do this more often?
Sounds like a good time to take a lesson from a qualified teaching pro

Sounds like a good time to take a lesson from a qualified teaching pro
This. Without a video, we’re all guessing. Even with a video, we’re still guessing what’s causing what or worse: how to fix it

This. Without a video, we’re all guessing. Even with a video, we’re still guessing what’s causing what or worse: how to fix it
It’s like the people trying to replicate noises their cars make over the phone to Auto Shops

It’s like the people trying to replicate noises their cars make over the phone to Auto Shops
That may be the best way to describe it I’ve ever heard 😂

There are a couple of ways to get around it. Firstly it is not a fault to have the shoulder hit the chin during the backswing. The fault is not fully completing the backswing when your view of the ball gets blurry. Just about every body makes the mistake of not completing the backswing when things feel tight at the top.
.Have a good look at Scottie Sheffler completing his backswing - how his upper spine twists back towards the target. Everybody needs to do this otherwise slack is introduced into the body coil which ruins any chance of making a good transition and forward swing.
By completing the backswing coil of the spine up to the base of the head, muscles in the pelvis and lower spine will be instantly activated to change direction to start the downswing. All the golfer needs to concentrate doing is staying centred by keeping the left side of the face to the right of the ball until it is pulled forward by the the upswing past impact.
You can tilt your chin away from the target at address so the shoulder doesn't touch it for comfort sake.

That might have been the best range session I ever had. All I need is more sunlight… more talent would be nice too!🤣

IMG_2602.jpeg

Back