Should I even bag a driver?

TxAggie2018

Reaction score
Handicap
So I'm a turbo-short hitter. I had cerebral palsy as a child, and I am VERY lucky that it doesn't impact my day to day life, but it did make me the last kid picked in every gym class. In my 20s, I have the strength of a 60-70 year old man, and the driver distance to match. Ball speed is 105-110 mph, carry is 160-170 yards, total is 200 on a good bounce.

Anyway, I'm not only short, but I also struggle with a slice. I can hit maybe 2/3rds of my drives straight or with a playable fade, but the 1/3rd of misses are right-side OB off the planet. Sometimes I even wonder how it's even possible to drive so short but miss so long.

I'm currently playing a Taylormade M4 driver in 9.5* loft that I had cut down to 45". The club itself is fine... I like the feel of it, and learned how to hit up on it for like a 15*-ish launch angle. But I bought an SGI set of irons a couple months ago, and seeing how much more playable those have made my misses, it's put the idea in head brain to buy an SGI-type driver.

So I've been wondering 2 things..

#1 should I even be bagging a driver with that short of distance? Trackman has the optimal launch angle for a 75-80 SS at around 18*... that's like a 5 wood loft. I would be losing rollout playing a higher lofted wood, and I don't have any distance to lose, but would it be worth it to reduce the huge misses?

#2 is there any good SGI-type drivers out there? I bought some SGI irons a couple months ago, and there's no improvement in my distance vs muscle back irons, but there's been a big improvement in the playability of my misses. I don't need a player-level driver with how short I am, I mostly need forgiveness. But for all the hybrid-irons and dinner plate sole wedges out there, I don't see a comparable offering in the driver category. Is there anything I'm missing, or that you'd recommend?

Proud of you for getting out there and playing! Dynamic loft is the loft during the swing. Static is what is written on the club. At your speed that loft doesn’t sound to bad but is likely higher due to an open face. This also causes the right sided miss. Without seeing your swing something like a Callaway BB in a 9 turned up to 11 May close the face some and allow some
Better ball flights. Keep swinging and keep us all updated!

- I'd still play a driver, and honestly 200 yards isn't that bad. I'll take 200 in the fairway vs 250 in the trees any day.

- Everybody makes a good SGI type driver these days. That's pretty much the default offering even though they may not come right out and say it. Just to take a shot in the dark, I'd probably start with a PXG 0211 at 12 degrees loft cut to 44 inches with their stock 50g Riptide shaft. That's a driver known for great forgiveness especially with slower swing speeds. The shorter length will help your accuracy and a lighter shaft should help your club head speed a bit. It's a total steal right now too at like $229. But you could do the same with an Epic Speed, Ping G425, etc. Any "mainstream" driver model made in the last 10 years would be fine. Take a driver like that, learn how to hit up on the ball, and you may be surprised at how much you can get out of it.

I can consistently get 180-210 with my 3W, I took my driver out of the bag.

I think if I were looking for a SGI driver to help with a slice I would look very seriously at the TEE E522 driver, great price and looks like some really great reviews

I only pull the Big Dog on three or four wide open holes at our club.
Shot dispersion is foul pole to foul pole with the driver, but most fairways only have a center field.

I found it helped to ignore OB and focus on a target. If I tried to miss something there was a good chance I'd hit it.
First time I played a hole thinking about the OB I hooked the ball three times OB. And I rarely hook the ball!
Then I tried moving back a a tee so all I had to worry about was slicing the ball in to the trees. And did exactly that a couple of times.
When I aimed for the middle of the fairway and didn't allow any thoughts about trees or OB to enter my mind I was able to hit it straight.

I have a neuromuscular disease. I found a good fitter and a couple of good instructors who took the time to watch my swing and figure out how to make what my body was able to do into a workable swing. The fitter. was able set up my equipment to compensate for my flaws and I play pretty decently. I ended last year with an average score in the mid eighties, One thing the instructors emphasized is play from the right tees.

I think average golfers are over length and under lofted, but carrying a driver for the one shot that gets ripped is why golf is the other 4 letter word.

I hit my 3 wood pretty consistent 225-250. I haven't been able to be consistent with the Driver at all the last few weeks. I have driven 280-300, but recently I'm more in the 240 range, and all over the place. I would probably post better scores by leaving the big #1 at home!

IMO it is especially important for you to play driver - you can't afford to give up even more distance. You just have to tame that wild beast. Lessons are probably the way to go, though sometimes we just find a diver that works for us too. One or the other so you can retain that distance and at least keep the ball on the right side in the 1st cut on the regular.

As for PXG, someone recommended the 0211. It’s not especially draw biased. The 0811 XF had a heel weight that can help square the face. Around $299 right now. Their online sales people can help with some shaft recommendations, I noticed they have the Riptide 40g in A flex available, and the head comes in 12 degree loft also.

Find a 12 or 13* driver I think that will definitely help.

This was going to be my advice too. A higher lofted driver gives more loft for better distance with a slower swing plus will help tame a bit of that slice side spin. The Callaway B21 driver for instance comes in a 12.5* loft that can be adjusted, a lot of Ping G series drivers come in 12*, the new Cleveland Launcher XL comes in 12* and I'm sure there's plenty more. I know when I was struggling and had some issues that were robbing me of some speed, a 12* 910 D2 REALLY helped my driving game out.

Callaway Pre-owned has plenty of 12.5* B21 Big Bertha drivers.

Just sayin...

Callaway Pre-owned has plenty of 12.5* B21 Big Bertha drivers.

Just sayin...

This would be a great option in a bit shorter length. You could choke down, shorten the shaft or maybe look to put something a bit heavier in at some point which would be more similar to a 3w shaft.

I agree with those suggesting a higher lofted game improvement driver. IMO a driver should be the easiest club to hit at the top of the bag.

If you are consistently better with other clubs... 45 inches may still be a little much. Without other variables known - I would suggest choking down a little on the driver - or - if that works, maybe shortening it a little more.

A guy I’ve played the last few years hits what to me is a big slice. It’s consistently the same so aims way left and finds the fairway a lot. He bought a Ping 425 and all of the sudden he pulls it left or hits a draw. He still sets up the same unless one of us tells him to change his alignment. He rarely slices anymore and honestly his swing looks the same. This really seems like a club that cured someone’s slice.

A guy I’ve played the last few years hits what to me is a big slice. It’s consistently the same so aims way left and finds the fairway a lot. He bought a Ping 425 and all of the sudden he pulls it left or hits a draw. He still sets up the same unless one of us tells him to change his alignment. He rarely slices anymore and honestly his swing looks the same. This really seems like a club that cured someone’s slice.
One of the things I’m so thankful for since taking lessons is my instructor immediately from the get go emphasized not letting the club head get open. I’m brand new to golf and virtually never slice. I top the ball sometimes and even miss every now and then, but never slice.

Everyone's game is a little different, but... I'm 75 going on 76. We play 6 to 7 days/week. I carry a Callaway Mini 1.5 set at 14 degrees. The geezers in my group have threatened, often, to break it... toss it in the river... hide it... steal it. My swing is something out of a horror movie, but the Mini goes straight and long. Nothing unusual to be 225 to 230 with it.
I also carry a Callaway Epic Speed. Have it set at 12.5. On an open hole, I'll pull the driver. If I make good contact, can hit it longer than the Mini. Notice the "if I make good contact".
If you could find a Mini 1.5 out there, might be something to try. Larger head and more forgiving than a 3-wood. Higher lofted and shorter shaft than a driver.

Oh, so good to know you've overcome your physical disability enough to enjoy this great game of golf!!!

Saw a TalorMade 14* Mini Driver at Play it Again for $130 and still kicking myself for not getting it.

Back