Should I add one inch to my wedges?

Mulliganizer

Reaction score
Handicap
Very
So I kind of did a thing that I shouldn't have done... šŸ˜µ I bid on something on e-bay that I didn't think I would win and I ended up getting them.
I got a set of new Taylormade MG3 Milled Grind 3 52/56/60 wedges with Dynamic Gold Tour issue s200 shafts for $300. My current set of wedges is a shmorgishborg of Ping/Titleist/Mizuno, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise that I got these.

But...

From a 'quick sizing' at 2nd swing, I need +1" on my irons. So my question is...
  • How difficult would it be for me to fit/adjust these myself?
I recently extended my putter which was a piece of cake because I didn't have to worry about swing weight. But with these, I have to add an inch and go from standard to midsize grips.
I do have a swingweight scale that I got from Goodwill for cheap that sits around, it's more the loft/lie adjustment that I'm worried about. I've seen where I can check the lie by marking the ball and hitting it and looking at the face. But is this kind of club adjustment getting to the point where I should have a 'pro' do it?

An inch is a lot in wedges. And MG3 are heavy wedges (heads). In terms of swing weight I'd use one of the heavier midsize and throw on an extra wrap or two on if it worked for me. I wanted to extend my MG3s just a bit. Half inch if I remember right. And it was so prohibitive from a swing weight standpoint that I bored the heads to shave some weight.

An inch is a lot in wedges. And MG3 are heavy wedges (heads). In terms of swing weight I'd use one of the heavier midsize and throw on an extra wrap or two on if it worked for me. I wanted to extend my MG3s just a bit. Half inch if I remember right. And it was so prohibitive from a swing weight standpoint that I bored the heads to shave some weight.

Thanks for the heads up! That was my paranoia and once reason I haven't done it yet. I didn't want to get the the part where the extensions are on and I'm swing weighting everything and here and find out it won't work! Maybe I should just sell them and move onto something else. :unsure:

Thanks for the heads up! That was my paranoia and once reason I haven't done it yet. I didn't want to get the the part where the extensions are on and I'm swing weighting everything and here and find out it won't work! Maybe I should just sell them and move onto something else. :unsure:
Well an extension counter balances some. Sorry, I might have misread or let my bias against extensions get in the way there. I try to just replace the shaft for the proper length of I want to go longer. With an extension there's inches of metal doubled up where it sits in the existing shaft and that helps to lighten the swing weight. I don't have the math on them in my head because I don't use them. I don't know how sensitive you are to things, but I can almost always feel a 1 inch extension in my hands.

So, I have a std length 4, 5, and 6 iron, but after that I add length to each club so the 7-PW are .25ā€ differences. This means the 9 and PW are plus .75ā€ and this puts my gap, sand, and lob at 1ā€ over.

I think std club lengths are stupid. Try to hit a ball with a putterā€¦ can you make a turn/pivot with a 35ā€ club? No. Not if you are 6 foot or taller.

if you add an inch to wedges and then have .50ā€ gaps you end up with a 6 iron that plays like a 3 iron. No good.

So, I have a std length 4, 5, and 6 iron, but after that I add length to each club so the 7-PW are .25ā€ differences. This means the 9 and PW are plus .75ā€ and this puts my gap, sand, and lob at 1ā€ over.

I think std club lengths are stupid. Try to hit a ball with a putterā€¦ can you make a turn/pivot with a 35ā€ club? No. Not if you are 6 foot or taller.

if you add an inch to wedges and then have .50ā€ gaps you end up with a 6 iron that plays like a 3 iron. No good.

I vaguely remember seeing a recommended "+1" setup" that had a similar breakdown but I cannot find it at the moment. :confused:

Back