Shooting Low Rounds?

GMDNP1

Reaction score
Handicap
SCRTCH/0
I've been playing golf my entire life and within this next year I'm going to try to make it my career. I have a general question. how do u get your low rounds? I noticed a few + handicappers so I was hoping I could pick up a few tips. I can shoot 68 69 on a good round and I suppose I'm content if I shoot 72. maybe that's my problem. I could/should put the ball closer for my birdie putts if I were to critic my game. and my putting avg. is 1.6 per hole. if that information can help u guys give me some tips. so how do u shoot your low rounds consistently? what part of your game stands out that helps u get there? thanks.

Mark Sweeney at Aimpoint has a really cool page on his site where you can analyze scoring.

AimPoint Technologies-Score Analysis

It does a really good job if you input your stats at calculating your expected score. Give it a try.

The number 1 factor far and away is Greens in Regulation.

If you are shooting 68/69 in your good rounds you should definitely stay an amateur. When you can say you are shooting 63/64 in your good rounds, AND you are winning regional amateur events, then you might consider trying to make a living at it. Until then I can assure you that you aren't ready.

GMDNP1 I wish you the best in trying to make a living playing. I tried for a couple of years while I was living in southern cal. It can be tuff but it is fun while trying.

Now is the time for you to really start to break down your rounds. And I mean break them down. Next time you are out...look at a few key stats.
Fairway hit? if no...miss hit? left? right? Distance off of the tee.
Green hit? if no...miss hit? Left? right? long? short?
Length of 1st and 2nd putt.
Length of 1st putt on a missed green.
How close do I put a chip. Pitch. Bunker shot.

This type of info gathered over a number of rounds will help you find areas to work on to help keep the scores closer to the sixties.! Let me know if you would like some help in this area. You can post questions in the ask the pro section or pm me.

Mark Sweeney at Aimpoint has a really cool page on his site where you can analyze scoring.

AimPoint Technologies-Score Analysis

It does a really good job if you input your stats at calculating your expected score. Give it a try.

The number 1 factor far and away is Greens in Regulation.

thanks mchepp I'm gonna check that out after I post this. I keep the majority of my stats in the ghin system but I just recently started recording the length of my birdie putts. I've played in the amateur events and I intend to play in the upcoming amateur events until sept. and then see where my games at.

GMDNP1 I wish you the best in trying to make a living playing. I tried for a couple of years while I was living in southern cal. It can be tuff but it is fun while trying.

Now is the time for you to really start to break down your rounds. And I mean break them down. Next time you are out...look at a few key stats.
Fairway hit? if no...miss hit? left? right? Distance off of the tee.
Green hit? if no...miss hit? Left? right? long? short?
Length of 1st and 2nd putt.
Length of 1st putt on a missed green.
How close do I put a chip. Pitch. Bunker shot.

This type of info gathered over a number of rounds will help you find areas to work on to help keep the scores closer to the sixties.! Let me know if you would like some help in this area. You can post questions in the ask the pro section or pm me.

thank u amollerud I definitely plan to use your information if u'd be so kind. as for stats I do keep my FWYs hit, DIS, GIR, PUTTS, PEN, and SS. I see that I should go more in-depth with my stat taking. I intend to gather these stats in the next come of rounds and practice like crazy in the areas that show up. thanks again.

I read a story about Greg Norman one time. When he was up and coming, he'd go out and play and every now and again he'd find himself -7 through about 10 holes. He'd think to himself, -7 is pretty good. If I can keep it here, I could shoot a decent score. Then he'd start trying to make pars and he'd let a couple slip here and there and end up shooting 67. Not a bad score, but not world-beating either. Then one day he went out and again found himself -7 after 10. This time he said to himself, I got myself to -7 through 10 by playing aggressively and going after it. Maybe I should keep doing the same thing, so let's play aggressive and see what happens. He shot something like 61. He said that that day was what made the difference between him being a good player and a great player. Never being contented with your score and always trying to eke out what you can is a good thought I think. Basically, don't settle. Keep going.

If you are shooting 68/69 in your good rounds you should definitely stay an amateur. When you can say you are shooting 63/64 in your good rounds, AND you are winning regional amateur events, then you might consider trying to make a living at it. Until then I can assure you that you aren't ready.

I didn't answer this way to discourage you, just to tell you that you have a ways to go. I was a + handicapper for many years, and I played with many guys that tried the pro tours, including a few that made the big time, so I know a little about what I am telling you. That said, let me answer the rest of your question. Work on your game from 30 yards and in. The worst short game player on tour is a magician compared to top amateurs. The difference for being good enough to play professionally is to practice practice practice on your pitching and putting.

I read a story about Greg Norman one time. When he was up and coming, he'd go out and play and every now and again he'd find himself -7 through about 10 holes. He'd think to himself, -7 is pretty good. If I can keep it here, I could shoot a decent score. Then he'd start trying to make pars and he'd let a couple slip here and there and end up shooting 67. Not a bad score, but not world-beating either. Then one day he went out and again found himself -7 after 10. This time he said to himself, I got myself to -7 through 10 by playing aggressively and going after it. Maybe I should keep doing the same thing, so let's play aggressive and see what happens. He shot something like 61. He said that that day was what made the difference between him being a good player and a great player. Never being contented with your score and always trying to eke out what you can is a good thought I think. Basically, don't settle. Keep going.

that's a cool story Ty thanks. that's what I was looking for something that just clicked and some of u guys or a story like that when they just knew they were there. and tips of how to get there.

I didn't answer this way to discourage you, just to tell you that you have a ways to go. I was a + handicapper for many years, and I played with many guys that tried the pro tours, including a few that made the big time, so I know a little about what I am telling you. That said, let me answer the rest of your question. Work on your game from 30 yards and in. The worst short game player on tour is a magician compared to top amateurs. The difference for being good enough to play professionally is to practice practice practice on your pitching and putting.

actually slammin sam I quit playing golf all together after reading your post. I do find it funny in your first sentence u write u have a ways to go never seeing my swing or my game but it's to be expected.

thanks for all the info I appreciate it I've taken bits and pieces from all of u. my ears are always open to learn and get better if anyone else has other suggestions.

You`ve always gotta work harder than the next guy but it`s got to be structured and constructive.
1.Work on your fitness,strength and flexibility everyday and never let up.
2.Work harder on your short game than your long game.
3.Work on your course and self management.
4.Develop an unwavering set up routine.
5.Never ever quit,not even once,EVER!!!!!!!
6.Believe you`ve got just as much inside you as any other guy walking around on 2 legs who`s on the tour.
7.Good luck and get started today!Believe me if you truly love competing you`ll enjoy the effort involved.

Back