Scotty Cameron Select review

tjgus25

Reaction score
I just recieved my New Scotty Cameron Newport 2 yesterday and wanted to write up a review of it to contribute to the site. I had been using a studio style newport 2 before and will compare the select to that.
View attachment 4275

Looks:
Classic Newport 2 but they black finish just looks sexy to me. Love looking down on it and thinking this thing is going in the hole.

Feel:
It is a scotty cameron so of course feel is great. The way the ball comes of the Select i would say is closer to a solid hit like you felt the ball leave the head but not a harsh hit or soft marshmellow feel its just a nice solid hit vs my old studio select which felt like the ball came off really hot and fast and not s solid feeling for me.
The head feels heavier then my studio style in a good way. on short putts i feel the head and feel more control on the 5-6 footers. Despite the heavier feel I feel like i really need to release the putter to get the distance i want. It is nice having to stroke the putt and not be afraid of running it by the hole.

Overall i am extremely happy with my new putter and i believe that getting fit is a huge must when your going to make a huge purchase like this.

This is the first putter i had fully fit for. The specs i got were 34" 2 degrees flat and 1 degree weak loft. and i have to say the ability to just stand over the putt and grip it naturally and stroke the ball have it start right on line has giving me a new confidence with my putting. I took 5 of the exact same putts with both putters from 10 feet. With the new select i made 4 of 5 pushed the one right, with my old studio style i miss them all on the left edge and i felt the stroke was good and putt was striaght but i believe the effect of the lie angle let to the slight pull of 1-2 inchs. So i am a firm believer that everyone should find the right fitting putter to make more putts!!!

Great feeling putter and great look just hope the finish holds up.

Congratulations on the new flat stick tjgus, enjoyed the write up and I agree a fitting is all important. Why do we still purchase the club we will use most in any round of golf and not get a fitting for it? I know I was only fitted for my last putter.

I did the fitting myself. I used the iping app all winter long and realized how closed my clubface was -2* and i tried and tried to get it more square and it was really hard. I have always played with different length putters because i never felt comfortable over the ball when putting(6'2" with a 6'7" wingspan) so i had an old ping putter and i cut it down to 34 and it felt much better. Started reading about putter fittings and i say the iping fitting part of the app and i used that to get a idea of what i need and i then bent my old ping putter to the desired loft and lie and was amazed how much better it felt. Now this was not a "proper" fitting but i followed some of the basic principles of fitting and then tried it out with older putter and worked really well for me.

Back