Saltwater Aquariums

sacul1573

What's a GIR?
Reaction score
Handicap
I've started keeping a small freshwater aquarium, and have really gotten into it. As such, I've been doing alot of reading, and have become pretty interested for the last few months in starting a saltwater aquarium.

I'm looking at something between 80-120 gallons, fish with live rock only to start with. No coral yet. Looks like between the tank, live rock, and protein skimmer, it'll be quite the investment before I even think of adding fish.

The only pause for concern I have is that I will most likely be moving 1500 miles back to the Midwest within 2-5 years. Don't know if I should be concerned about that...

Anyone out there have or had a saltwater aquarium? Advice? Pictures? Stories?

I think Esox has had one before but I could be wrong. I also think there is an older thread on this to.. I will see if I can find it.

You're talking thousands of dollars fellow Cheesehead. We had a 75 gallon reef tank. Live rock, coral, angels, clowns, tangs, the works. It was beautiful. We ran into trouble with a couple of rogue fish. A little pigmy angel that became aggressive and would chase other fish until they died, and a yellow tang that would kill coral and anemonies. Because of the rock and coral we had to break the tank down to catch the little bastards. Then some of the stuff died, we had J.L., and we gave up. But it was cool for a while. We spent probably $5,000 over a couple years. If you do it, I suggest going with just a couple fish and bunch of cool shrimp and other non-fish like animals.

Moving it is going to be a real drag.

Kevin

Yeah, I thought you had a big saltwater aquarium, my memory was good this time.

Remember that thread we had a while back about this? Were the heck is it? lol

Last edited:
You're talking thousands of dollars fellow Cheesehead. We had a 75 gallon reef tank. Live rock, coral, angels, clowns, tangs, the works. It was beautiful. We ran into trouble with a couple of rogue fish. A little pigmy angel that became aggressive and would chase other fish until they died, and a yellow tang that would kill coral and anemonies. Because of the rock and coral we had to break the tank down to catch the little bastards. Then some of the stuff died, we had J.L., and we gave up. But it was cool for a while. We spent probably $5,000 over a couple years. If you do it, I suggest going with just a couple fish and bunch of cool shrimp and other non-fish like animals.

Moving it is going to be a real drag.

Kevin

I know about the cost, but am not too concerned about it. I've always been fascinated by aquariums, and finally have the guts to get my feet wet (no pun intended).

Sounds like I should really pay attention to the compatability of the fish/interts I put in there? Or was this just a rogue fish that turned aggressive?

Do you have pics?

No pics, unfortunately. We did research fish for compatibility. The importer we bought from couldn't believe what happened to us. We had two different shrimp that really thrived. They were awesome. Clown fish were awesome, too. When we initially cycled the tank, we took some bad advice and bought these stupid damsel fish because they were tough and helped to get the tank going. They were a pain to get out, too.

Bridges, I actually can't remember the size of the tank. It might have been 90 gallons. Someone else talked about a big one. I think it was JB.

Kevin

I want one like one of these..

bullnose.jpg

0153.jpg

Bridges, I actually can't remember the size of the tank. It might have been 90 gallons. Someone else talked about a big one. I think it was JB.

Kevin

I meant my previous posts as in "yeah I though you had a big tank" Like I was agreeing with you and reassuring myself that I was right. Sorry should have worded it better, Because 75 gallons is huge lol

I think your right, he had a lot of good advice. I just have a samll 10 gallon fresh water tank that I got in college a couple years ago and my shark fish died about a week ago but still have 2 big goldfish left.

Well, took the plunge. Purchased a used setup in excellent condition for a fraction of what it's worth new. Divorced guy looking to downsize into a small apartment = incentive to sell. It's a 90 gallon tank complete with everything I'd need, and I kept the initial investment to around what a fitted set of irons would cost. The fun part is in January, when I move it from his place to mine. 150 mile round trip, with about 70 miles of it along the 405, times two trips... :banghead:

These are pics of it setup in his condo, I'll get pics when I have it setup in my place, and update as more fish/corals come along.
aquarium3.jpg

aquarium.jpg

before golf, Reefing was my hobby. I know most of the high end collectors around, I have been collecting high end corals since 2005. check out www.reef2reef.com

I'm still a mod there and check in a few times everyday to help out. I currently have a 120g with a few more high end corals and a nice collection of fairy and flasher wrasses. :)

here's a quick pic of my tank before I let most of my LPS go.

05-13-2010FTS1.jpg

05-13-2010Fav3.jpg

05-13-2010Fav2.jpg

05-13-2010Fav1.jpg

05-13-2010Fav7.jpg

05-13-2010Fav6.jpg

Back