calebt17

Reaction score
Handicap
Very sad indeed. I saw a similar story that happened in California last month. I have been much more careful since reading it.

That´s really sad. You always try to get eye contact or a wave from the green keepers before you hit to make sure, but this sounds like a really tragic accident.

I had a playing partner take one in the shoulder from about 30 feet away from some kid screwing around...scared the crap out of me, I thought it was his face. Sucks hearing of stuff like this.

I had a playing partner take one in the shoulder from about 30 feet away from some kid screwing around...scared the crap out of me, I thought it was his face. Sucks hearing of stuff like this.

I am not sure how I would have responded to that but I have a good guess....

I was at a Par three course with 2 female friends of mine (and a 3rd just walking along with us) and some guys where just screwing around and hitting balls into the woods (which, on the far side of the woods is the previous green). I had a ball wizz past one of the girls I was playing with and I ripped those kids a new one. I haven't been that upset in a LONG time. I hope I scared the kids enough to prevent that from happening again. If one of those girls had been hit I probably would have done something VERY stupid.

that is sad, I kuckily haven't hit or been hit by anyone. However I have played in a group where someone hit someone. It becomes the walk of shame when you walk up to where your golf ball landed.

A kid screwing around. Now there is something that will make you think twice.

caleb17’s story sounds like another instance where proximity was a real contributing factor (30 yards). The two doctors playing together with one looking for his ball while the other took his shot discussed in this forum was another. There was a suit here that the judge just dismissed where proximity again played a role. One of the local courses uses 4’x 4’ white posts positioned in the middle of the fairways as 150 yard markers. They are easily removable, designed so that the player can just pull the post if he chooses replacing it on his way past. In this instance although the post was in very close proximity the player left it in the ground and his own shot ricocheted off of the post, came straight back and hit him in the eye. He lost the eye as a result and sued the course for negligence.

Regardless of the results of the attempted suit I really have never thought these posts are a good idea. While I have not seen them used this way on any other local courses I was wondering if you guys or gals have seen 4’ x 4’ or any other post for that matter used as yard markers out in the middle of fairways. I have been sort of on the fence about asking the course to consider removing them even before this incident as I did think that they represent just this sort of additional risk to players. I just don’t know if things like these posts are now used often on courses as yard markets. Thought I would first ask you guys and gals if you see this sort of thing where you play before deciding if I should offer a comment to the course about how useful these posts really are when compared to the risk that they represent.

Does anyone play a course currently that uses posts or any vertically oriented element as yard markers right out in the middle of the fairways?

Last edited:
I have never hit a person, but I have been hit. I was lucky enough that it was a shot from my little brother, and it didnt have much zip on it, but it was from less than 30 yards away, square in the back. A little worm burner.

very very sad story indeed

Similar story on "Golf in America" last year. A guy teed off and hit his father who was standing under a tree a ways down the fairway. His father was a marshall at the course and was just watching his son tee off. The father never regained consciousness. Tragic.

Similar story on "Golf in America" last year. A guy teed off and hit his father who was standing under a tree a ways down the fairway. His father was a marshall at the course and was just watching his son tee off. The father never regained consciousness. Tragic.

You know that his family would forgive him, but he would never forgive himself. I couldn't live with myself after that.

My previous home course used 2" wide plastic markers which were easy to see from anywhere on the hole which was helpful. They were also easily removed.

Also, at that same course, the maintenance crew were required to wear hard hats while working on the course, even riding the fairway mowers.

I had a partner get hit with a wayward drive from about 80 yards; he went down like he was shot :fortunately he was wearing a windbreaker and only got a badly bruised rib.
A kid screwing around. Now there is something that will make you think twice.

caleb17’s story sounds like another instance where proximity was a real contributing factor (30 yards). The two doctors playing together with one looking for his ball while the other took his shot discussed in this forum was another. There was a suit here that the judge just dismissed where proximity again played a role. One of the local courses uses 4’x 4’ white posts positioned in the middle of the fairways as 150 yard markers. They are easily removable, designed so that the player can just pull the post if he chooses replacing it on his way past. In this instance although the post was in very close proximity the player left it in the ground and his own shot ricocheted off of the post, came straight back and hit him in the eye. He lost the eye as a result and sued the course for negligence.

Regardless of the results of the attempted suit I really have never thought these posts are a good idea. While I have not seen them used this way on any other local courses I was wondering if you guys or gals have seen 4’ x 4’ or any other post for that matter used as yard markers out in the middle of fairways. I have been sort of on the fence about asking the course to consider removing them even before this incident as I did think that they represent just this sort of additional risk to players. I just don’t know if things like these posts are now used often on courses as yard markets. Thought I would first ask you guys and gals if you see this sort of thing where you play before deciding if I should offer a comment to the course about how useful these posts really are when compared to the risk that they represent.

Does anyone play a course currently that uses posts or any vertically oriented element as yard markers right out in the middle of the fairways?

Back