Ryder Cup what 6 to be picked?

Rummpd

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap

Stricker has a tough selection job and he has stated reaching out to current top 6 for advice. This includes the feud stars so should be interesting. Pick 6.

7-12 are pretty stout with all deserving consideration; but how about a case for Phil? Zalatoris would be a gutsy but defendable move with his play in big events.

As an aside I was a former member of Cherokee CC Stricker’s home course in Madison, WI and played once with him. Nicest person there is and his wife is daughter of a golf pro and a pretty good player as well.

Starting to look at this going forward the top 6 are:

Morikawa (qualified)
DJ
Bryson
Brooks
JT
Xander

the next 6 in the standings are:

Speith
English
Reed
Berger
Cantlay
Finau

In my opinion Speith and Reed are locks due to past experience. I also think it would be shocking if English wasn’t selected after the year he has had. Not sure if he will be a good Ryder Cup player, but I think he has to be picked.

So that leaves Berger, Cantlay, and Finau as on the fence. I think Berger and Finau make it although I could see them go with one and leave the other off as they are a similar player. Cantlay has Ryder cup and presidents cup experience so I could see him being an easy choice.

the contenders in my opinion are

Scottie Scheffler
Sam Burns
Phil Mickelson
Max Homa

I almost would prefer one of these guys over Cantlay or Berger but it will be interesting to see who stricker picks.

I would take Webb Simpson. His style of play is perfect for the Ryder Cup. Would love to see Kisner get a shot, unfortunately he is just too far down the list this time around. Who knows though with his win today.

My 6 would be Speith, Reed, Finau, Simpson, Scheffler, Kisner

Speith
English
Reed
Cantlay
Scheffler
Kisner

Speith
Reed
Cantlay
Scheffler
English
Kisner(voting with my heart here instead of logic)

If Phil or Tony F get picked, then we know we do not take the Ryder Cup seriously on the American side. These players have not played well enough this year to even be considered. Unfortunately, both will probably get picked.

Have to also take into account the course being played. Comparing it to a specific players strengths and weaknesses. Just because Kisner or Simpson play well at a place like Sedgefield CC doesn’t mean their game will Transition to Whistling Straits. Not bashing on Webb or Kisner just using them as an example.

Back