Runaway Remote Cart

JohnnyO3478

Reaction score
I was in a three ball group with a couple of random fellows yesterday - behind two foursomes that were bachelor party guys scrambling. We thought we were in for a long day - but these guys were not holding us up at all on the front. We DID run into them on the 10th tee - and they offered to let us play through - but we were not in a hurry and did not wish to break up their group dynamic by putting ourselves in the middle of the two groups.

We chatted while they waited for the fairway to clear and they hit their tee shots. Super nice kids - some from MI, I think. As they were about to get into their buggy - seemingly out of nowhere, an MGI Navigatory appeared at about Mach 6 - trying to launch itself off of the elevated tee box. One of the young fellows had great reflexes - and grabbed it, wrestling it to the ground and preventing any real damage to anyone else. Turns out the owner (who ended up being a fellow I knew) was fumbling around in his car for someting and hit enough buttons on the remote in his pocket to send the cart off on an adventure .....

It was a pretty wild scene.

Crazy. Glad it wasn't worse.

I might not be cut out for an electric cart... 😬

So does that mean the range is pretty good on the remote, or once it starts going, it'll go until the battery runs out?

Would be interesting if there was a range limiter on it so if it went too far it stopped

Crazy. Could have been a disaster.

So does that mean the range is pretty good on the remote, or once it starts going, it'll go until the battery runs out?

Would be interesting if there was a range limiter on it so if it went too far it stopped
Looks like the cart traveled around 200 ft before it got to us.

1712589557457.png

I am not familiar with all the features on an MGI remote cart. I know that my Stewart Vertx automatically stops once it is 25 yd away if you have not given it a remote command in 3 seconds - or something like that.

The cart owner retrieved the cart with the remote - but I am not sure how far down towards the tee he had to walk, if any - to get it to re-engage.

I have pocket dialed (started ) my last remote cart when putting in back pocket and then bending over which is why I always hit the "Lock" button on my Zip Navigator remote when not operating. After losing site of my old BatCaddy (found in wooded area), it has become habit to lock down cart with the said button..

The MGI remote will work from at least 400 yards because my group has tested it. It’s easy to do though. I’ve activated mine a few times whilst down reading a putt or grabbing the ball out of the hole.Luckily, mine usually just does pirouettes though.

Last summer I played with a guy who had just bought the same cart and was using it for the first time. We were on the 2nd green when out of the corner of my eye I see something moving. It was his cart and it was heading right to the river along side our course. It went down a steep slope and hit the last flat area before the river. Thankfully when it hit it fell on it's side and prevented his cart and golf bag from the river. It did break his seat attachment and was a good lesson on what not to do. I bought the same cart later and make a point of hitting the lock button more often than necessary.

Back