Results from demo day in East TN

Joshzilla

Secret Agent
Reaction score
Handicap
I attended a demo day over the weekend and was mostly on a mission to find a new driver and test the i20 irons, and here are a few things I tried...

...I should preface this by saying that I am fighting a lack of extension with my right arm in my swing, which is giving me a bad case of the rights...

Adams F12LS - This was one of the first clubs I hit and it was a bomber! It was maybe the most "solid" feeling drivers that I have ever felt. I liked pretty much everything about this club. I hit it again later (after a jillion swings with other clubs) and was just losing it right, which has been my mishit lately and something that I am starting to fix. A little concerned if I could keep up with this club later in a round if fatigue set in, but all in all I really liked it. If I knew I could keep up with it all the time, it might be my new gamer. The Fubuki shaft felt great!

Titleist 910 D2 -
*Motore F1 (can't remember the weight...I think in the 70's) stiff - Not for me. It was too stout to even really give a fair opinion of. Made me feel like a girly-man.
*DI-6 - I really liked the trajectory and carry, but it's a stout shaft. Once again I didn't extend the right arm and so I know I didn't get everything out of it. Sent it too far right. With some work I could straighten it out, but I don't wanna take such an expensive gamble.
*Oban Devotion 6 - Probably the best combo with this clubhead that I have tried. May have been a hair low in trajectory, but looked to have great spin and carry.
*Voodoo NVS - Surprisingly good and probably just behind the Devotion in terms of performance.

Callaway Razr-Fit - with Voodoo SVS - I really really really disliked this club. Sound, feel, etc just didn't work for me. My dad really liked this one with the stock shaft.

Ping i20 w/ 707 shaft - It really didnt' do anything for me.

Cobra ZL Encore - I never quite got comfortable with this one. I like the way it feels, but the results just weren't quite there. It was a total bomber for my dad, though.

Cobra AMP -
*I liked this club, but didn't love it.
*Oban Devotion 6 - Loved it. Best shots of the day and this was at the end of my time at demo day, so I was actually pretty worn out.

Unfortunately Nike was not at demo day. I love the VR_s driver and based on my time with the AMP, I think I will probably order a VR_s with Oban Devotion 6.

Ping i20 irons -
*CFS stiff - felt like fence posts to me. I couldn't put a good swing on them at all.
*KBS Tour - These are the shafts I currently play and made a world of difference in this club for me. Interesting that the fitter said I am a black dot (standard) and that my AP2's are probably too flat at 2*. I really liked the i20's and may be making a change to them.

I love it when dudes can get out to demo days and report back to us.

So, you're going to AMP it up?

I love it when dudes can get out to demo days and report back to us.

So, you're going to AMP it up?

AMP or VR_s...either one is probably getting the Oban Devotion treatment. The F12LS isn't totally out of contention, but I don't think it will be the overall winner. I will obsessively deliberate for a while. It's what I do.

Not a good year for Titleist and me since I'm looking for new irons and a driver! The driver and I have never been totally simpatico and as far as the irons...I sorta want something new and my OCD would like something impervious to bag chatter.

I'm guessing that if you thought the DI-6 felt stout, the Oban Devotion was a little softer than the DI-6? I've heard great things about the Oban shaft, I need to hit one someday.

I'm guessing that if you thought the DI-6 felt stout, the Oban Devotion was a little softer than the DI-6? I've heard great things about the Oban shaft, I need to hit one someday.

Yeah, I think so. Even though they are pretty much the same weight, the DI-6 felt heavier/slower...I'm guessing due to balance and bend points (paging ST!!). I think the DI-6 might actually be a good shaft for me, but would take some getting used to.

As for the Devotion, it felt lighter and very smooth. I actually think it feels a lot like the Miyazaki Black. From what I've read, you really have to load the Devotion to get it to perform. I have a quick tempo so it worked. You should try it!

Yeah, I think so. Even though they are pretty much the same weight, the DI-6 felt heavier/slower...I'm guessing due to balance and bend points (paging ST!!). I think the DI-6 might actually be a good shaft for me, but would take some getting used to.

As for the Devotion, it felt lighter and very smooth. I actually think it feels a lot like the Miyazaki Black. From what I've read, you really have to load the Devotion to get it to perform. I have a quick tempo so it worked. You should try it!

Interesting thoughts. I find that the DI-6 benefits from a quicker transition and tempo, which is what I have. The Devotion sounds good too if it's a shaft that wants to be hit hard. What's the point of trying to hit the driver easy, right? :alien:

Where was the demo day? I was in the TriCities last week for work and would have stuck around for a demo day. Got one coming up this Friday. Can't wait.

Where was the demo day? I was in the TriCities last week for work and would have stuck around for a demo day. Got one coming up this Friday. Can't wait.

It was at Warriors Path in Kingsport. I probably should have posted about it in advance. Sorry, dude!

That would probably be a pretty good practice if people would announce demo day schedules.

There is one at Forrest Crossing in Franklin TN this friday.

Sounds like nothing jumped up and grabbed you. Drivers are a pain in the rear end, worth it, but a pain.

Sounds like nothing jumped up and grabbed you. Drivers are a pain in the rear end, worth it, but a pain.

I really went in with my heart set on the Nike VR_s driver (but Nike wasn't there) but I knew that I didn't want the stock shaft...so I was basically auditioning shafts. Had unexpectedly good results from the AMP and F12LS, but I'm holding steady with VR_s w/ Oban Devotion 6 shaft.

I also went in lusting for the i20's. Learned that I needed KBS Tour shafts and standard lie...neither of which I would have expected.

Back