RBC versus Corales Puntacana

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Both are being played this week. The RBC is a signature event, versus the opposite field CP.

The winner of the Corales Puntacana receives 300 FedEx Cup points, versus 700 FedEx Cup points for the winner of the RBC. The winner at the PC receives $720,000. The winner of the RBC receives $3.6 million.

Obviously, making it into the signature events is a huge bonus for those who qualify to play in them versus those who don't.

I have no issues with this setup. I would like to see the signature events rotated every year.

The PGA Tour's whole purpose for "elevated events" is making the top guys happy so they don't leave for LIV. Simple as that. They play for the big bucks, the rest of them can scrounge for peanuts.

I have no issues with this setup. I would like to see the signature events rotated every year.
Yes to this. I think it would be good to at least have some of them get rotated every year or two so that all locations can eventually have the top players play at that location. If you want to grow the game then give fans (especially kids into golf) the chance to see the top players.

RBC is flush with cash bro, i mean i have my chequing and mortgage accounts with them......That's a lot of walking around money for them to throw at these PGA dudes

Yes to this. I think it would be good to at least have some of them get rotated every year or two so that all locations can eventually have the top players play at that location. If you want to grow the game then give fans (especially kids into golf) the chance to see the top players.
Not only the fans. How about the sponsors who are putting up the money for these non elevated events . Shouldn’t they have the benefit of getting top players in their events.

Not only the fans. How about the sponsors who are putting up the money for these non elevated events . Shouldn’t they have the benefit of getting top players in their events.
Good point there!

A signature event after a major is about as stupid as it gets..

A signature event after a major is about as stupid as it gets..
I was wondering about that as you would think after a major a lot of guys would take a week off, given all the work they put in leading up to a major.

On a side note, I really like this tournament as Harbour Town is such a great golf course.

I was wondering about that as you would think after a major a lot of guys would take a week off, given all the work they put in leading up to a major.

On a side note, I really like this tournament as Harbour Town is such a great golf course.

A few years back, when RBC hosted the Canadian Open, the PGA screwed them a bit by moving the date of the tournament to right after a major, and the worst major for travel for Americans (the open championship) after they had already been sponsoring it. So this killed participation for a bit.

I wonder if this is a bit of making that up to them.

The PGAT just cannot get out of their own way. No cut signature event following the masters with an opposite field event in DR.

Don’t forget to add it's the women's first Major this weekend also. I’m sure they appreciate Jay’s scheduling strategy.

I'm fine with this. Love this tournament and this course, the plaid jacket, the cannon shot. It's got a much more laid back vibe to it after a week at Augusta. Easy drive from Augusta so travel is minimal. It's a tournament and course that should get elevated status. Gets all the top PGAT players playing the week after the Masters to keep momentum in the schedule going.

The opposite field tournament is good too because it puts something on the schedule for that half of the tour rather than sitting idle for weeks.

First thing I did this morning was fire up ESPN+ to tune in.

Some people will find a reason to complain about anything the Tour does.

A few years back, when RBC hosted the Canadian Open, the PGA screwed them a bit by moving the date of the tournament to right after a major, and the worst major for travel for Americans (the open championship) after they had already been sponsoring it. So this killed participation for a bit.

I wonder if this is a bit of making that up to them.
I remember that. Making the RBC a signature event at an iconic golf course should make up for it.

Options good!

PGA Tour Options...bad...

I dunno. I don't get the hubbub about it. Great tournament last weekend, might as well ride that high for as long as possible.

Folks can calm down it won't be the same next season.

There are some events that will probably be signature events every year for as long as the concept exists... API, Memorial, etc. Some are in a rotation. We know the signature events are heavily geared toward the top players, and if this weren't a signature event they probably wouldn't show up. The tour is essentially guaranteeing the sponsors that every x years they can expect a strong field.

With that, it makes sense to have an opposite field as well. A lot of those players didn't qualify for signature events or the masters. For them this week is probably less about the purse/fed ex points and more about a chance to secure their card for another couple of years.

RBC was elevated before it was elevated.

Back